View Full Version : [ubuntu] Make Windows XP remotely connect to the internet

August 12th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I'm on a Jaunty machine connected to the internet through one running XP. While I can remotely startup (Magic Packets) and shutdown (net rpc shutdown -I 192.xxxxxxx) the XP machine, it does not automatically connect to the internet. Instead it needs a username and password. When I connect to the XP machine Ubuntu tries to make it connect, but (I suspect becuase my passwords and usernames are different on the different machines) it fails. The XP machine just keeps retrying, I suspect using my Ubuntu login details.

I'm sure there's a setting somewhere I've overlooked, but I have no idea where to look for it anymore. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Also, how could I prompt the XP machine to connect to the internet manually, even if it didn't try to connect automatically?

Hope you can help,

August 12th, 2009, 07:55 PM
is this a DSL connection or cable?

August 12th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Lan cable to the xp machine which has a USB modem to DSL (I think).

August 13th, 2009, 05:21 PM
so do you use a dialer in windows xp to connect to the internet?

August 14th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Yes, I'm pretty sure I do.

August 14th, 2009, 05:34 PM
do you know the username and password of the DSL connection? if so , you could insert them in your DSL modem so that the modem automatically connects to the internet when it gets disconnected , you dont have to worry about the dialer anymore.. which ISP do you use?

August 15th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Yes, I know the username and password, and the ISP is Tiscali. However, I still want to have to put in a password to access the internet from the XP machine. Is there a way to give Ubuntu the credentials of the XP machine? At the moment Ubuntu is forcing the XP machine to try and connect using my Ubuntu username/password, whenever I connect the two.

August 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM
i dont think that is possible , ubuntu will not be able to tell xp to connect , you could try bridging the two interfaces in the xp and then try creating a dialer in ubuntu ( similar to xp , go to system->preferences->network configuration->DSL ) , but then only ubuntu would get internet access and not windows