PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] can i get xubuntu 7.04 alternate iso for Viglen MPC L

ookooboontoo
August 12th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I have just received a brand new Viglen MPC L but the base OS is xubuntu 7.04. To upgrade I will need to update the packages and then go up to 8.10 I am guessing. But I cannot find an ISO of xubuntu 7.04 alternate CD anywhere. Updating the file through update does not work either, obviously.

I would appreciate any ideas

Thanks

A

Cheesemill
August 12th, 2009, 04:28 PM
If it's a new PC with no personal data on it then why upgrade? Just do a clean install of 9.04 from scratch.

slakkie
August 12th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I agree with cheesemill.

But the alternate cd can be found here: http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/7.04/

Or do a network upgrade, see my sig for upgrading 7.04 to 8.04. From there you can go up.

ookooboontoo
August 12th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Thank you Cheesemill and Slakki, for some reason I could not find it. The reason for the upgrade is the nature of the MPC. Having looked at other installation suggestions, it looks like quite a pfaff to get it to work. It is not a standard PC clone http://www.viglen.co.uk/viglen/Products_Services/Product_Range/Product_file.aspx?eCode=XUBUMPCL&Type_Info=Description&Type=Desktops

I have yet to think how to clone it for backups, but I will get there in time, and then I will be better able to trial newer distros.

Cheers,

Adrian

slakkie
August 12th, 2009, 05:14 PM
for cloning, use clonezilla @ www.clonezilla.org

gebbione
January 27th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Thank you Cheesemill and Slakki, for some reason I could not find it. The reason for the upgrade is the nature of the MPC. Having looked at other installation suggestions, it looks like quite a pfaff to get it to work. It is not a standard PC clone http://www.viglen.co.uk/viglen/Products_Services/Product_Range/Product_file.aspx?eCode=XUBUMPCL&Type_Info=Description&Type=Desktops

I have yet to think how to clone it for backups, but I will get there in time, and then I will be better able to trial newer distros.

Cheers,

Adrian
Hi Adrian

I have an MPC myself and rather than doing a backup before upgrading i just let it install the new kernel. The result for me is that now i get a black screen when i start the machine.
Also if i try to install xubuntu from a usb pen i get "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!".

Do you have any suggestion on what to do with it either for the black screen or boot install?

Thanks
Diego

ookooboontoo
March 23rd, 2011, 12:51 AM
Hi Diego,

Sorry, I did not see you message until now. I put the box aside for a while and I am just getting back to it. I am planning to do a fresh install of an OS, probably Lucid.

Did you fix your black screen issue?

Cheers

gebbione
March 23rd, 2011, 02:17 AM
Hi Diego,

Sorry, I did not see you message until now. I put the box aside for a while and I am just getting back to it. I am planning to do a fresh install of an OS, probably Lucid.

Did you fix your black screen issue?

Cheers

Hi Adrian

after trying 6 distros I finally managed to get one installed. I initially bought it to run some CCTV monitoring through USB webcams, but cannot get it to start video detection properly ... in some cameras the video starts but still i cannot get it to work with solutions like Zoneminder ...

I think it is definitely a hardware limits problem or maybe i dont know enough to get it to work.

Thanks for the reply ... if you have done something similar pls let me know.

Cheers

Diego