PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless works, but not immediately: "This driver is active but not currently in use"

IntrinsicAnomaly
August 12th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Hello,

I'm running Jaunty on an Acer Aspire 5100. Jaunty knew that I needed the non-free driver, Atheros madwifi, to use the wireless card, so it made it available to me in the hardware driver list.

The wireless works fine, but to get it to work, I need to deactivate the driver. At first, it says "This driver is active but not currently in use." When I deactivate it, which asks for my password, it then says "This driver is deactivated." Then, I reactivate it: "This driver is active and currently in use." Then it looks for the wireless networks and connects. Everything works fine on all kinds of networks, including WPA2 and 802.1X authentication.

The deactivation/reactivation step is really annoying, especially since it asks for my (lengthy) password. How do I set up Ubuntu to put my driver in use at startup or login?

yoshiki2
August 16th, 2009, 02:48 AM
How do u make it work? cuz I'm trying to figure out what to do. I own an aspire 5100