PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless not detected

gdoc
August 12th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Hi,

I have ubuntu 9.04 installed on a hp pavillion laptop. When it was first installed there was an issue with the wireless card not being enabled, I was able to fix that with the help of this great website.
http://tenthblog.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-how-to-enable-your-wireless-card-dell-broadcom-bcm4311/

So now the laptop can detect & connect to the internet at home no problem. However when I bring it somewhere else with unsecured wifi (I'm not robbing it!) it doesn't detect the wireless. A different laptop which also has ubuntu 9.04 installed detects and connects the wireless network no problem.

I've searched the forum & have not found any posts which detailed the same problem. If it has already been discussed I apologise!

Does anybody have any advice? Like I said I searched online but I've been unable to find a solution and would greatly appreciate any advice you all could give

Thanks,

G

tomBorgia
August 12th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Hi,

I've had problems with the network manager & Wireless... I've found wicd a lot better at managing different connections.

You can install it through synaptic. Could be worth a try.

Tom.

gdoc
August 12th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Hey Tom,
Thanks for that. The problem fixed itself, I think it was a problem with the server that got fixed about 5 minutes ago.

I think I will install wicd anyway as I have a few issues with the way the different connections are managed at the moment.

Thanks again!

G