PDA

View Full Version : How do i tell if ive past the begginer/intermediate/master stage

Tclarkie
August 12th, 2009, 09:04 AM
How do i tell if ive past the begginer/intermediate/master stage

cwnc
August 13th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Beginners are scared of new features, and cling to the few things they know how to do.

Intermediate users experiment with every new feature they can get their hands on, and are eager to try new things.

Experts are aware of every feature available, and don't care - they have work to do.

Firestem4
August 13th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Beginners are scared of new features, and cling to the few things they know how to do.

Intermediate users experiment with every new feature they can get their hands on, and are eager to try new things.

Experts are aware of every feature available, and don't care - they have work to do.

That was actually very well put lol.

I'm goin with what he said. i must be an intermediate =)

sdlynx
August 13th, 2009, 04:46 AM
That was actually very well put lol.

I'm goin with what he said. i must be an intermediate =)

same here. sounds about right lol

MikeTheC
August 13th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Well, when you can sit there and dispassionately argue the technical merits of various different parameters you can set with a filesystem and/or disk driver controller, or talk about kernels and describe with joy and excitement all the latest revisions in the current kernel, then you know you're probably not a n00b any longer.

Tclarkie
August 13th, 2009, 06:49 AM
that puts me in expert, but i cant wait till 9.10 comes out

cariboo
August 13th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Why wait, we can always use more guinea pigs testers.:):)

sdlynx
August 13th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Why wait, we can always use more guinea pigs testers.:):)

rofl!

I tried it, but it crashed with awn so back to 9.04

ZankerH
August 13th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Beginner: Install ubuntu, open firefox. Shudder in fear of that "terminal" thing.

Intermediate: Use the terminal for file operations and configuration changes that would have taken ten times the time if you bothered with the GUI frontends. Familiar with and not afraid of compiling stuff from source and hunting down dependencies manually.

Master: Regularly write python/shell scripts to make your life easier, rant at beginners for being afraid to paste a few lines into the terminal, rant at beginners for blindly running every command they're given.

Tclarkie
August 13th, 2009, 09:29 AM
lol, Master is so me, thanks

Skrean
August 13th, 2009, 09:35 AM
As soon as something geoes wrong:

Beginner : Where's my Windows?!

Intermediate : Try to fix/ Sign in to Ubuntuforums / look for help online

Advanced : Fire up the terminal.

:lolflag:

running_rabbit07
August 13th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Beginer: Installs Ubuntu thinking it looks great.

Intermediate: Learns that with out a CLI command book to figure out how to use CLI to fix the constantly broke system.

Master: Moves on to another distro.

You know it's true!

Tclarkie
August 13th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Beginer: Installs Ubuntu thinking it looks great.

Intermediate: Learns that with out a CLI command book to figure out how to use CLI to fix the constantly broke system.

Master: Moves on to another distro.

You know it's true!

I dont think that is terrible acurate:confused:

TuckLive
August 13th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Beginner: Install ubuntu, open firefox. Shudder in fear of that "terminal" thing.

Intermediate: Use the terminal for file operations and configuration changes that would have taken ten times the time if you bothered with the GUI frontends. Familiar with and not afraid of compiling stuff from source and hunting down dependencies manually.

Master: Regularly write python/shell scripts to make your life easier, rant at beginners for being afraid to paste a few lines into the terminal, rant at beginners for blindly running every command they're given.

This one puts me at master, except for the ranting part. :guitar:

thisllub
August 13th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Then there is Pro.

Has a solid knowledge of stuff like filesystems, backups, raid, lvm firewalls, apache, databases etc.

Has no wallpaper, the original window decorations and spends most of their time on a command line.

RiceMonster
August 13th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Beginner: New to Linux
Intermediate: Comfortable with Linux, still learnign your way around some things though.
Expert: You post on Ubuntu Forums under the account name RiceMonster.

.Maleficus.
August 13th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Beginner: New to Linux
Intermediate: Comfortable with Linux, still learnign your way around some things though.
Expert: You post on Ubuntu Forums under the account name RiceMonster.
Most accurate description yet! :D

Anyways, I don't agree with most of you.

Beginner: Can install, configure and use Ubuntu on a daily basis without trouble. Knows how to solve a problem on their own, using forums, Google or their own ingenuity.

Intermediate: Would not be lost on a command line only system, knows why a configuration problem is occurring and can fix it without guidance from interwebz/forums/anyone else, can write basic scripts to automate mundane tasks, knows how to compile programs from source, can use vi/vim without killing anything.

Advanced: Can pass a Linux+ or Red Hat certification test.

My grading scale: I've been using Linux for 99% of my computing since the release of Ubuntu 6.06, using Gentoo, Fedora, Arch and various others up until I finally found my perfect system with Arch. I took the RH033 pre-test and got 28/48. RH033 is a test for what Red Hat assumes is basic Linux knowledge.

Edit: Took it again and got 33/48. I'd definitely say I'm an Intermediate user.

issih
August 13th, 2009, 03:53 PM
They send grading belts through the post....have you not got yours yet?

obviously...in this system brown is the very pinnacle, not black :)

SunnyRabbiera
August 13th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Well despite using Linux for 5 years now, I still consider myself a beginner.
Though I have gotten used to the terminal, configuring files and customizing a few things here and there i still keep things simple.

running_rabbit07
August 13th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I dont think that is terrible acurate:confused:

Me either, I was sleepy and feeling grumpy. One day I will find the good book for learning commands and life will be better.

hessiess
August 13th, 2009, 06:03 PM
beginner: Trys to find ways to do everything using a GUI, scarred of the CLI because they don;t know how to use it.

intermediate: Prefers to do some things with the CLI, but still largely GUI oriented.

advanced: Trys to get rid of every little inefficiency in the environment, such as using a good editor like Vim, saveing screen space by getting rid of the title bars and using a tiling WM, and generally avoids the mouse like the plague, as they have realised just how inefechent it is.

running_rabbit07
August 13th, 2009, 06:28 PM
beginner: Trys to find ways to do everything using a GUI, scarred of the CLI because they don;t know how to use it. .

Why does everyone seem to say that? I am a beginner (no doubt), but I am not scared of CLI, I just don't know how to use it.

Just because someone doesn't know have to drive a manual, does that mean they are scared of it? Sad thing is, I am sure a lot of you here have a manual transmission, is it because you are scared of the power you can unleash?

With both situations it is just the matter of learning to use the manual mode.

hessiess
August 13th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Why does everyone seem to say that? I am a beginner (no doubt), but I am not scared of CLI, I just don't know how to use it.

Just because someone doesn't know have to drive a manual, does that mean they are scared of it? Sad thing is, I am sure a lot of you here have a manual transmission, is it because you are scared of the power you can unleash?

With both situations it is just the matter of learning to use the manual mode.

It was a joke you know ;)

BTW the CLI rilly isnt hart to use/understand, just type the name of the program you want to run, for example typing "firefox" would start firefox;).

aesis05401
August 13th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Beginner: Still needs to figure out how to figure things out. Discusses problems without abstraction and therefore responds best to step by step instructions.

Intermediate: Beginning to formalize learning/problem solving techniques/tools. Can discuss problems at at least one level of abstraction - often only needs to be pointed in the correct direction to solve a problem because they have the formalized technique to assimilate new material autonomously.

Expert: It is the practitioner, not the practice. Everything is relative. There is no pebble. If you meet the expert, kill the expert ;)

running_rabbit07
August 13th, 2009, 07:04 PM
It was a joke you know ;)

BTW the CLI rilly isnt hart to use/understand, just type the name of the program you want to run, for example typing "firefox" would start firefox;).

I know, just be seeing it in repetition so I had to say something.

cmay
August 13th, 2009, 07:59 PM
when you feel your on top of the situation and you dont think of your self as a newbie anymore then your not.

when others call you a expert then . maybe your an expert depending on who calls you an expert but you are most likely not a newbie anymore.

in between those extremes you can be a advanced user or just a user with ability to take care of own problems by your self but you can also be so hard driven to become an expert that your always feel your a step ahead of your self on the way and in moments of inspiration is a expert.

disclaimer:i may over thought this but i am sure it could make a lot of sense to anyone that also has a slight fever and is in bed witht the flu like me. :)

forrestcupp
August 13th, 2009, 10:12 PM
You all forgot about the class of beginners who want to try everything out without knowing how to do it so they toast their system several times a week and have to continually run to the forums for help. :)

You're an intermediate when you have to run to the forums several times a week, but you didn't toast your system.

beginner: Trys to find ways to do everything using a GUI, scarred of the CLI because they don;t know how to use it.
I've been around for quite a while, and I know how to use the CLI, but I prefer to use the GUI because I gave up Commodore 64 style computing about 19 years ago for something that is more modern. ;)

red_Marvin
August 14th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Everything is relative, the beginners are the ones who ask questions you can answer, the advanced users are the ones who can answer the questions you ask.
As the groups change, so does your level. As your knowledge change so does the groups.

steveneddy
August 14th, 2009, 02:15 AM

You won't be considered anything but a beginner if your grammar and spelling don't improve.

I've seen very knowledgeable people that knew Linux inside and out and because of poor grammar and spelling laziness their work was not looked at as professional quality.

Firefox has a built in spell checker. All you have to so is use it.

EDIT:

How do I tell if I've passed the beginner/intermediate/master stage?

Tclarkie
August 14th, 2009, 08:23 AM
its a forum, get over, i couldnt kare les if u dont lik mi grammer

Tclarkie
August 14th, 2009, 08:34 AM
just kidding, sorry

lisati
August 14th, 2009, 08:46 AM
its a forum, get over, i couldnt kare les if u dont lik mi grammer

Ewe leaf my grandma out of it!

/me goes off and sulks instead of picking a fight

Just kidding: but I do find it easier if people make an effort to express themselves clearly.

benj1
August 14th, 2009, 08:54 AM
You won't be considered anything but a beginner if your grammar and spelling don't improve.

I've seen very knowledgeable people that knew Linux inside and out and because of poor grammar and spelling laziness their work was not looked at as professional quality.

Firefox has a built in spell checker. All you have to so is use it.

EDIT:

How do I tell if I've passed the beginner/intermediate/master stage?

spelling and grammar doesnt affect anything except how people perceive you, and still i would hope that if the OP submitted a patch it would be accepted on its own merits, not on whether he spells something correctly, just as i would hope you would be taken seriously despite missing a comma on your second sentence :)

ps where do smileys fit in to correct grammar ???

pps how are you supposed to spell smileys as firefox's spell checker highlights it.

forrestcupp
August 14th, 2009, 01:12 PM
its a forum, get over, i couldnt kare les if u dont lik mi grammerAt least you said "I couldn't care less" instead of "I could care less." :)

spelling and grammar doesnt affect anything except how people perceive you, and still i would hope that if the OP submitted a patch it would be accepted on its own merits, not on whether he spells something correctly,
Unless his code is full of spelling errors! ;)

decoherence
August 14th, 2009, 03:07 PM

Your voice drops and you get hair where you didn't have it before.:guitar:

franzyke
August 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Is there a stage between beginner and intermediate?:biggrin:
If there is.. I think I've reached that stage :)

RATM_Owns
August 14th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Beginner: Installed Ubuntu
Intermediate: Installed Arch
Expert: Installed Gentoo

And let's just say you didn't have any documentation telling you how right next to you (or online documentation).