PDA

View Full Version : Meteor shower anybody catch a glimpse or pictures?

HappinessNow
August 12th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Meteor shower anybody catch a glimpse or pictures?

too cloudy where I am at unfortunately!

bodyharvester
August 12th, 2009, 09:38 AM
im in the northeast of england, i do have a telescope but i was not aware of any shower, where was it?

Nburnes
August 12th, 2009, 09:40 AM
im in the northeast of england, i do have a telescope but i was not aware of any shower, where was it?

All over North America. Its going on tonight for us, all day tomorrow, and most of tomorrow night.

HappinessNow
August 12th, 2009, 09:42 AM
im in the northeast of england, i do have a telescope but i was not aware of any shower, where was it?I am not sure if you can see it, it was reported in North America I believe from August 10th through the 14th, up to thousands of meteors per minute?

supposedly it happens every year about this time...even Google changed their logo for the occasion.

TuckLive
August 12th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Almost 4am where I'm at. Thanks for the reminder, I'll be sure to look tomorrow night. :popcorn:

HappinessNow
August 12th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Almost 4am where I'm at. Thanks for the reminder, I'll be sure to look tomorrow night. :popcorn:Wait they said 4am should be the best time to see it!

bodyharvester
August 12th, 2009, 09:46 AM
...even Google changed their logo for the occasion.

google changed their logo to celebrate the grass growing the other day:lolflag:

TMAN 1
August 12th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I have been checking them out when I can.We have had some cloudy weather here,but I have seen some.I do this every year around this time.

HappinessNow
August 12th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I have been checking them out when I can.We have had some cloudy weather here,but I have seen some.I do this every year around this time.

It has been clear for like 3 months straight, tonight it is cloudy!!!:popcorn:

HappinessNow
August 12th, 2009, 09:52 AM
google changed their logo to celebrate the grass growing the other day:lolflag:yeah but this one is cool!
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=124534&d=1250067063

I wonder if anybody has published a full comprehensive collection of all the Google logos?

TuckLive
August 12th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Wait they said 4am should be the best time to see it!

I'm stuck at work. With no windows. :(

HappinessNow
August 12th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I'm stuck at work. With no windows. :(What kind of place do you work with NO windows?...Open Source/Linux friendly work environment?:lolflag:

TuckLive
August 12th, 2009, 10:03 AM
What kind of place do you work with NO windows?...Open Source/Linux friendly work environment?:lolflag:

I wish :). No I'm in a basement, but I'm gonna go take a break outside :)

HappinessNow
August 12th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I wish :). No I'm in a basement, but I'm gonna go take a break outside :)Good! let us know if you see anything.

TMAN 1
August 12th, 2009, 10:11 AM
It has been clear for like 3 months straight, tonight it is cloudy!!!:popcorn:Not for me it hasn't.Nights have been quite cloudy here this year.

bodyharvester
August 12th, 2009, 10:11 AM
its 10:10am for me ;) guess i wouldnt see it anyway

TuckLive
August 12th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Overcast here. Maybe tomorrow.

harry2006
August 12th, 2009, 10:27 AM
guys some one post some pics !!! we've cloudy sky over here...

Barrucadu
August 12th, 2009, 10:45 AM
England here, so I can't see it. I did see a falling star the other night though :)

HappinessNow
August 12th, 2009, 09:49 PM
guys some one post some pics !!! we've cloudy sky over here...I've seen some posted online but I haven't had a chance to see any yet.

England here, so I can't see it. I did see a falling star the other night though :)the falling star was probably a meteor.

t0p
August 12th, 2009, 10:13 PM
England here, so I can't see it. I did see a falling star the other night though :)

This meteor shower is certainly visible from the UK (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/aug/12/perseid-meteor-shower). Cloud cover permitting, of course. It's currently 10pm, and the sky is rather cloudy. But the shower should peak at about midnight, and the weatherman on the tv suggested that we should have meteor-spotting weather in the south of England by then.

This shower is called the Perseids - so called because they radiate from the area of sky near the constellation of Perseus - and it happens every August. According to Usama Hasan (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/aug/12/perseid-meteor-shower):

The meteors will streak across all parts of the sky like silent fireworks, and the best time to view them will be after midnight: during British Summer Time, that means after 1am.
So we should be in for a good show. Assuming, of course, the skies are clear