PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Puppy Linux

BobJam
August 12th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I've seen a few references to "Puppy Linux". I've looked around on their page ( http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/official-releases/latest-production-release ) but can't seem to find a simple explanation of what it is.

Can someone here 'splain it in plain old English? What is it, and is there any benefit to having the Puppy Linux LiveCD on hand? How does it relate to Ubuntu (same kernel?)

Same questions for the Super Grub Disk ( http://www.supergrubdisk.org/ ).

LunaticHiatus
August 12th, 2009, 08:41 AM
puppy linux is a linux distro that is for linux off usb. Thusly, you can keep your operating system essentially where ever you go. It is very light and uses its packages are called .pup. You don't have to run it off usb either. You can install it on your computer or run it off a cd.

Its ok, last I heard, they where having development issues.

It doesn't relate to ubuntu in any way other then they are both gnu/linux.

anaconda
August 12th, 2009, 08:48 AM
puppy is interesting as a live CD, because you can save changes to it. even if you are using a CD-R....

And it is always good to have a liveCD around if your system comes unbootable for some reason.

BobJam
August 12th, 2009, 09:43 AM
And it is always good to have a liveCD around if your system comes unbootable for some reason.Good point.

But would I want to install it on one of my partitions on the HDD. Does it do anything better than Ubuntu?

TheNosh
August 12th, 2009, 10:01 AM
But would I want to install it on one of my partitions on the HDD. Does it do anything better than Ubuntu?

it's not better, nor is it worse. there isn't a propper comparison because it has a different goal. in other words it doesn't do anything better, just differently.

Ubuntu: a desktop linux system intended for installed use on relatively current hardware. (thats all the detail i'm giving there because i would hope we're all pretty familiar with ubuntu already)

Puppy: a leightweight linux distro meant for installation on old computers to make them useable again or to run as a live CD.

cool features:

1) really small so it can load entirely to ram and the cd can be removed while running

2) setting can be saved by writing them directly to the end of the live CD or to a save file on a usb disk (things like themes or personally installed programs)

3) can also be installed on a usb disk to boot from

4) fast as hell (that kinda comes with being light weight)

5) can use slackware packages (make up for it's own repositories being quite small)

so the only real reason for installing it on your hard drive is if your hardware is really low end, not because puppy isn't good, but because that's not exactly what it's meant for. i love puppy and don't go much of anywhere without my live cd and usb disk with the save file.

TheNosh
August 12th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Same questions for the Super Grub Disk ( http://www.supergrubdisk.org/ ).

the super grub disk isn'treally for use as an operating system, it's used for fixing grub when needed.

for example, if you install linux, it will usually install grub with it. if you then install windows it will wipe out grub and you'll only be able to boot to windows. the super grub disk can automatically reinstall/set up grub (something i wish i had know when i installed the windows 7 release candidate, and will certainly use after i install the RTM)

BobJam
August 12th, 2009, 10:16 AM
@TheNosh,

Thanks . . . now I get it. My compliments to your "explanation" skills.

Cresho
August 12th, 2009, 10:17 AM
think of ubuntu as a pastrami sandwich. Puppy linux is a side salad.

TheNosh
August 12th, 2009, 10:21 AM
@TheNosh,

Thanks . . . now I get it. My compliments to your "explanation" skills.

no problem, puppy was my first distro. i should know it pretty well ;)