PDA

View Full Version : Puppies

gletob
August 12th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Well I'm happy and really sad at the same time. My dog Morgan just had 13 babies yesterday. One was still born yesterday and two were born extremely small. Yesterday we found one of the little one (the smallest) dead curled up to his mother. Today we found the second squealing from his mother sitting on top of him. It really wasn't her fault it was just an accident of nature. We had to take him to the vet and she said he had brain hemorrhaging and permanent brain damage along with that. She took his temperature and he was in hypothermia. She said it was a miracle that he had made it to today. We had to have him euthanized. May those three that couldn't make it rest in peace. And good luck to the others.

I'll take some pictures of the ten of them tomorrow and post them.

stwschool
August 12th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Good luck with your little-uns. 13 is a hell of a lot isn't it? Seriously that's just mad!

The Real Dave
August 12th, 2009, 11:21 AM
13...unlucky for some...namely those three poor little guys :( Good luck with the rest of em.

t0p
August 12th, 2009, 11:55 AM
13 is a very large litter. I don't think there would be much chance of every puppy surviving. My bitch has just 12 nipples, so I've always thought that 12 is probably the largest litter "sanctioned by nature". But in any case, I think losing just 3 out of 13 (so far) is acceptable. A bitch that lived with me a few years ago ate 5 of her own puppies. That's nature, "red in tooth and claw".

gletob
August 13th, 2009, 06:46 AM
13 is a very large litter. I don't think there would be much chance of every puppy surviving. My bitch has just 12 nipples, so I've always thought that 12 is probably the largest litter "sanctioned by nature". But in any case, I think losing just 3 out of 13 (so far) is acceptable. A bitch that lived with me a few years ago ate 5 of her own puppies. That's nature, "red in tooth and claw".

Ours has 10 nipples. I was really hoping this time she would have 8 or less. The first two were:
The first had 12 puppies with one still birthed.
the second had 13 with one still birthed. The rest were normal and all fighted for the nipples.

We've decided once these puppies are gone, we're having the mother spayed. She just can't handle all these babies.

She has her puppies extremly quickly. For example this last litter she had her first at 9:36 and her last at 11:32 that's 1 pup every 8 minutes. In reality the first are withing 2-3 minutes of each other and then start to slow down but still!

I haven't gotten pictures yet. Me and my dad spent an hour fixing the riding lawn mower. (The diagram in the stupid manual was completely off for the mowing belt) Then I had to help weed eat (I don't know the exact term considering I've only ever called it wead eating)

Arup
August 13th, 2009, 06:56 AM
My condolences, I have four currently with the oldest being around 15 and rest around 13, we are preparing ourselves for the inevitable. We lost one of them eight years back and the pain is still with us.

lisati
August 13th, 2009, 06:59 AM
13 puppies! We've had stray cats adopt us in the past and produce litters in different places (one chose the cupboard under the stairs). I think the largest litter was four. We've only been in the position of having one euthanized once. One mother cat who had produced a litter elsewhere even chose to move her litter inside after one of the local tom cats attacked them, but sadly it was too late to do anything. Sadly we had to surrender her to the SPCA when we moved as the place we were renting had a "no pets" rule. Kinda miss having them round at times.

gletob
August 13th, 2009, 08:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kSMe7Tg4qU

It's not great but it'll have to do, my camera is a video camera and really sucks at taking pictures. Make sure to hit the HD button.

cmay
August 13th, 2009, 08:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kSMe7Tg4qU

It's not great but it'll have to do, my camera is a video camera and really sucks at taking pictures. Make sure to hit the HD button.
they are so very cute. good luck with them . :)

pricetech
August 13th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Congrats on the new pups. We're animal lovers at our house. Just adopted a new puppy after about a year without canine companionship during which we said "no more". This little fellow just wrapped my wife around his little paw though and the rest is history.

Good luck with the pups and condolences for the ones lost.

gletob
August 14th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Man this fricking sucks. The last runt just died this morning, I think she just wasn't developed enough. The other nine are as fat as can be.

clonne4crw
August 16th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Awww. I love puppies

sanderella
August 16th, 2009, 07:09 PM
They are beautiful! Thank you!:)