PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Installing flash help

Thiago511
August 11th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I just switched from windows to Linux, and I am having some difficulties installing plug ins. specifically Flash. I looked all over the internet, I tried all they told me. and it doesn't work..

I type:

rpm -ivh flash-plugin-10.32.18-release.i386.rpm

This is what I get:

error: open of flash-plugin-10.32.18-release.i386.rpm failed: no such file or directory

I have Xubuntu Linux

lexe-cc
August 11th, 2009, 11:30 PM
You should use .deb files instead. RPM files can be installed but it's not the normal way of installing things.
You can find the .deb files on the adobe website. Also, if you're using firefox you normally can install flash when firefox requests to do so.

Cheers

kerry_s
August 11th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I just switched from windows to Linux, and I am having some difficulties installing plug ins. specifically Flash. I looked all over the internet, I tried all they told me. and it doesn't work..

I type:

rpm -ivh flash-plugin-10.32.18-release.i386.rpm

This is what I get:

error: open of flash-plugin-10.32.18-release.i386.rpm failed: no such file or directory

I have Xubuntu Linux

look in your menu-> system-> synaptic package manager
click on the right side & start typing: flash
if no flash shows, then you probably need to turn on all your repos.

ohmman
August 12th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I agree with the previous suggestion, using the package manager. My son and I successfully installed Ubuntu 9.04 on his Lenovo laptop in about 15 min. Flash was the first thing he went for. I guided him to the package manager and searched for Flash. Presto! Select, mark for install, Apply. Done.

p2bc
August 12th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Just download it from Adobe

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Select Linux, and make sure to choose DEB file formate.

That is it. Double click on the downloaded file and enjoy.

take care

XxionxX
August 12th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I Just had the same problem (I too am a windows noob). The suggestion that helped me was from another ubuntu user called warp99. This is what he told me.

Here's how you can clean up the mess:

1) Open the Synaptic package manager and in the search locater enter "flash" without the quotations.

2) Remove and purge any packages that pertain to Flash, Gnash, Adobe Flash, or SWF. To remove and purge the packages right click on the package and choose "Mark for Complete Removal".

3) Go into your .mozilla/plugins directory, which is located in your user home directory, and remove ANY flash plugins that may have been installed.

4) Go to the Adobe Flash site located here:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP

And Choose the "deb for Ubuntu 8.04+", then press install

5) Choose the gdebi package manager to install the deb if Firefox asks, enter you sudo password and install as normal.

6) Open a terminal and type the following:

Code:
sudo update-alternatives --config firefox-flashplugin
There should only be one flash alternative so nothing to configure. If not then choose the alternative that points to the following:

Code:
/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
After this the flash plugin will work. Be sure to follow all of the steps since we need to back out some of the other flash alternatives that you may have installed.

I hope that helps!

roharme
August 12th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Use alien to convert .rpm to .deb files

Robert6
August 12th, 2009, 05:46 AM
It is very good.I really want this.Thanks for sharing this.Thank you.

aysiu
August 12th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Use alien to convert .rpm to .deb files
Why? There's a native .deb already available.