PDA

View Full Version : text editor of choice for python?

bodyharvester
August 11th, 2009, 08:10 PM
i just use gedit at the moment, are there any text editors made with python in mind?

im still a beginner, trying to sort out a ceaser cipher now, i dont mean a text editor which points out my mistakes just one which is more convenient

thanks

cmargolin
August 11th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Try gvim, which has syntax coloring for many languages.

JT9161
August 11th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Make one in Python

BloGTK
I use gedit as well. It's not perfect, but I haven't really found anything that works better for my needs.

RiceMonster
Try gvim, which has syntax coloring for many languages.

If you're going to do that, you may as well learn regular vim (which I prefer).

hessiess
August 11th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Learn Vi, Modal editing is way more effective.

bodyharvester
August 11th, 2009, 08:29 PM
i think ill learn Vi, then make one ;)

EDIT: thanks, y'all

Barrucadu
August 11th, 2009, 08:29 PM
The text editor which you are most comfortable with is the best one.

RiceMonster
August 11th, 2009, 08:30 PM

Before learning vi/vim I suggest typing vimtutor into a terminal and following it through. It'll help get you started.

bodyharvester
August 11th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Before learning vi/vim I suggest typing vimtutor into a terminal and following it through. It'll help get you started.

thanks, i couldnt find vi in the add/remove thing, silly me :p

RiceMonster
August 11th, 2009, 08:40 PM
thanks, i couldnt find vi in the add/remove thing, silly me :p

Vim is pretty much the version of vi used on most Linux distrobutions. I don't think you get the full version on Ubuntu by default, I think it's vim-tiny.

So, to be sure, you can install it:

sudo apt-get install vim

Viva
August 11th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Try geany (apt:geany) or drpython (apt:drpython).

tc3000
August 11th, 2009, 08:59 PM
emacs. ;)

hessiess
August 11th, 2009, 09:05 PM
install vim-full

then run

vim

or

gvim

dwanders
August 11th, 2009, 09:42 PM
jedit from a thumb drive already configured to run on whatever PC I plug it into or Komodo Edit 5 (free version) for permanent editing of anything on a home or Work PC.

I would also agree with whoever said the editor you like is the one to use ;)

bodyharvester
August 11th, 2009, 09:48 PM
jedit from a thumb drive already configured to run on whatever PC I plug it into or Komodo Edit 5 (free version) for permanent editing of anything on a home or Work PC.

I would also agree with whoever said the editor you like is the one to use ;)

well im using the tutor of vim in the terminal and im feeling better about this one...

by thumb drive do you mean a usb stick? if i could put vim on a 128mb and store my .py files on there that would be cool. how did you install it on the drive?

lykwydchykyn
August 11th, 2009, 09:54 PM
i just use gedit at the moment, are there any text editors made with python in mind?

im still a beginner, trying to sort out a ceaser cipher now, i dont mean a text editor which points out my mistakes just one which is more convenient

thanks

Instead of just tossing out the name of my personal favorite text editor, can I ask what you feel gedit DOESN'T offer you in the way of python development?

Knowing that would help us to give you useful advice in a new text editor, rather than just having everyone sound off about how awesome they think vim/emacs/whatever is.

There are editors aimed specifically at Python, like Eric, idle, or drpython. Mostly they're only useful if you want or need some of the python-specific features they offer.

doas777
August 11th, 2009, 09:55 PM
geany in ubuntu, notepad++ in win.

Personally I despise anything even remotely related to vi.
when I first started learning it, we were ssh'ing into a unix box running ksh as the standard shell

lets say I wanted to go back one space, and add the letter 'a' before the one i just typed. I would have to enter these keys:

'esc' ':' 'k' 'i' 'a'all that, to accomplish 2 keystrokes worth of work.
in case you are wondering, Esc: puts you into nav mode, k says move one space left, and i incicates that i want to insert (versus replace, overwrite, and append ).

in order to backspace, we had to use ^H.

yet somehow VI is the most efficient editor in the world according to some folks.

dwanders
August 11th, 2009, 10:10 PM
lykwydchykyn - is right on the money - that would be your best approach.

As for the USB stick stuff, I wanted an editor that I could set up once and use anywhere (so I did not have to set it up again, and again at each PC I used it on). In fact I have found it very useful to do this with some of the App's I use often - which also drove my choice of Java based applications like jEdit, yEd, & jFig all on a 16gig Flash Voyager.

jEdit is a very good editor but it is just that a general editor that can do many different Lang's, yEd is a wicked flow chart app, and jFig is the java version of Xfig. Because they are Java based, as long as there is a Java Runtime on the PC I am using I am good to go (most PC's these days). I tend to use Komodo when I am on a permanent PC cause I like its auto complete but it is kind of a hog - I still find myself using jEdit more than anything cause I can use it anywhere - only wish ddd was written in Java as well!

But I still agree with lykwydchykyn - (man thats a tough one to type) - determine your needs then go from there - mine was to be portable.:P If I was looking for something to edit config files when my servers was crashed - you cannot bean vi - but that is the only time I would torture myself with that editor :lolflag:

dwanders
August 11th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Oh yea - and it does work in Windoze and Linux the same with this set up (another one of my deciders) - biggest problem I have had using jEdit between the two is going from C:\ to / which can cause it to error about the path not being available any more! Sweet!

jordilin
August 11th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I use mostly vim or geany. Just grab one and be happy. :guitar:

donkyhotay
August 11th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I use gedit with the extra plugins installed from the repos. It does everything I need for coding python.

CJ Master
August 11th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I use gedit with the extra plugins installed from the repos. It does everything I need for coding python.

+1. Gedit is the best python editor out there for me. Syntax highlighting and auto-indent. I only wish someone would extend it a bit more to including debugging.

Jimleko211
August 11th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Geany is a great app. Kate is another great text editor, if you don't mind using KDE apps.

swoll1980
August 11th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I like Idle. Call me crazy.

Simian Man
August 11th, 2009, 11:51 PM
lets say I wanted to go back one space, and add the letter 'a' before the one i just typed. I would have to enter these keys:

'esc' ':' 'k' 'i' 'a'all that, to accomplish 2 keystrokes worth of work.
in case you are wondering, Esc: puts you into nav mode, k says move one space left, and i incicates that i want to insert (versus replace, overwrite, and append ).

in order to backspace, we had to use ^H.

yet somehow VI is the most efficient editor in the world according to some folks.

Have you used vim in the last 10 years?? You do not have to do all of that. In order to add a before the letter you've just typed, just press the left arrow and then the 'a' key. Same as you would for any other text editor. Those more arcane key commands date back to when people used teletypewriters and vi couldn't assume a user would have arrow keys. The arrows, insert/replace, backspace and delete keys all work as you'd expect.

The only time I really leave insert mode is when I want to do something slightly more complicated like copy/cut/paste sections of text, search and replace, save and quit or run shell commands. Being able to use regular key combinations to do these things rather that Ctrl-Alt* type commands is what makes vim so efficient.

Daveski
August 12th, 2009, 12:36 AM
+1. Gedit is the best python editor out there for me. Syntax highlighting and auto-indent. I only wish someone would extend it a bit more to including debugging.

I like gedit for Python coding - but I want code folding to simplify things. Anyone recommend something similar to gedit, or even if there is a plug-in or some setting I have missed?

lykwydchykyn
August 12th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I like gedit for Python coding - but I want code folding to simplify things. Anyone recommend something similar to gedit, or even if there is a plug-in or some setting I have missed?

kate and geany both have code folding.

Mateo
August 12th, 2009, 03:35 AM
the lack of a good ide solution is one of the major reasons why i've never bothered with python. that's my opinion, of course.

lykwydchykyn
August 12th, 2009, 04:03 AM
the lack of a good ide solution is one of the major reasons why i've never bothered with python. that's my opinion, of course.

I learned python in spite of it, but I won't dispute the point. I think I've tried about every python IDE out there, but they all either lacked the features I wanted, or were just buggy out the wazoo. Eric came the closest, but half the time I can't even get it run (case in point, I just tried to run it after not using it a few weeks, and it's crashing with an import error).

It's a shame, really, because Python could be a lot more effective with a really killer IDE.

Mateo
August 12th, 2009, 04:07 AM
The Wing IDE does seem pretty nice. Check out it's videos on the site. Looks pretty robust, I'm going to try it out.

Jimleko211
August 12th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I learned python in spite of it, but I won't dispute the point. I think I've tried about every python IDE out there, but they all either lacked the features I wanted, or were just buggy out the wazoo. Eric came the closest, but half the time I can't even get it run (case in point, I just tried to run it after not using it a few weeks, and it's crashing with an import error).

It's a shame, really, because Python could be a lot more effective with a really killer IDE.
Did you try SPE? I've tried it and it seems really cool..only thing I couldn't get was for my programs to accept input INSIDE of the IDE. But I might try that again now that I have a new distro aside from Ubuntu.

CJ Master
August 12th, 2009, 04:37 AM
The Wing IDE does seem pretty nice. Check out it's videos on the site. Looks pretty robust, I'm going to try it out.

It's very nice, but I quit using it because it's propriety. Gedit is very nice as well, it just lacks a debugger..

days_of_ruin
August 12th, 2009, 04:38 AM

btw you should add this to your ~/.vimrc

set tabstop=4
set softtabstop=4
set expandtab
set autoindent
set shiftwidth=4

This will allow you to have 4 space tabs that are not really tabs, they are spaces which is the python convention.

Firestem4
August 12th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Geany is a great app. Kate is another great text editor, if you don't mind using KDE apps.

In my opinion Kate is an excellent (GUI) text editor. One of the nice features I like is shell integration, syntax highlighting (for literally dozens of popular programming languages.) One of my hardware buddies was surprised that KATE handles VHDL syntax.

Block editing is also a nice feature that KATE handles.

lykwydchykyn
August 12th, 2009, 04:55 AM

I would hope so, for the price. You don't even get code folding unless you pay for the $180 version.

@Jimleko221: I tried SPE a while back. I remember really liking it until it started crashing on me. Can't remember if it caused KDE to die or X to lock hard, but it was one of the two and happened often.

Maybe that's fixed now...

Eviltechie
August 12th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I prefer nano if I don't have a gui.

bodyharvester
August 12th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Wow...there are so many text editors. Thanks for all the replies, i didn't know gedit had plugins!:confused:

well, im no closer to sorting out the ceaser cipher program i mentioned in my first post.

just so we're clear, i don't believe another text editor will make me better with python, just that there are so many its easier if everyone gives a comment about the one that they are most familiar with and find suit them best

thanks again

t0p
August 12th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I like Idle. Call me crazy.

+1. IDLE FTW, re Python.

moster
August 12th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Sorry for bustin... How do I actually design window with buttons and usual stuff? I come from visual studio and that was easiest part there, here I just cannot figure that out.

lykwydchykyn
August 12th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Sorry for bustin... How do I actually design window with buttons and usual stuff? I come from visual studio and that was easiest part there, here I just cannot figure that out.

1. Pick a toolkit that has a visual GUI editor
2. Find a python editor with integration for said GUI editor
3. Use and enjoy.

That said, I don't think python has anything quite as straightforward as Visual Studio, which is too bad because it would make python rock and roll over Visual Basic if it did.

I used Eric4 with my last GUI project, it has integration with QT designer. It took a good bit of reading the manual to make it work right, though.

Stani's python editor has wxglade integration, I don't know if there's an editor with ordinary glade integration.

Eisenwinter
August 12th, 2009, 04:51 PM
If you're going to do that, you may as well learn regular vim (which I prefer).
+1, Vi(m) is good.

As far as a "Python specific" editor, I recommend SPE - Stani's Python Editor.

It's also written in Python itself.

To get it with subversion:

svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/python/spe/trunk/_spe
$ python SPE.py

Kazade
August 12th, 2009, 05:15 PM
After trying Geany, GEdit, Kate, SPE, Eclipse+PyDev, Vim, Emacs, IDLE, Komodo I've finally settled on NetBeans + NBPython. It's not as resource hungry as Eclipse, and it has all the cool stuff like refactoring (variable/method renaming in Python, bliss!), hints, automatic code formatting (ALT+SHIFT+F formats the whole file), class browser, package browser, etc. etc.

Also, I do work with Java so I can switch between projects without changing the IDE :)

moster
August 12th, 2009, 10:45 PM
1. Pick a toolkit that has a visual GUI editor
2. Find a python editor with integration for said GUI editor
3. Use and enjoy.

That said, I don't think python has anything quite as straightforward as Visual Studio, which is too bad because it would make python rock and roll over Visual Basic if it did.

I used Eric4 with my last GUI project, it has integration with QT designer. It took a good bit of reading the manual to make it work right, though.

Stani's python editor has wxglade integration, I don't know if there's an editor with ordinary glade integration.
I was expecting something like visual studio from 1997-1998. It seems I expected way too much. Luckily, Python looks very good.

Ok, thanks. :)

Mateo
August 13th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I would hope so, for the price. You don't even get code folding unless you pay for the $180 version.

Sounds like a pretty fair price, the debugger seems pretty robust.

bodyharvester
August 13th, 2009, 12:14 AM

from some other posts, a good debugger sounds like something some might be willing to pay for

thisllub
August 13th, 2009, 12:38 AM
After trying Geany, GEdit, Kate, SPE, Eclipse+PyDev, Vim, Emacs, IDLE, Komodo I've finally settled on NetBeans + NBPython. It's not as resource hungry as Eclipse, and it has all the cool stuff like refactoring (variable/method renaming in Python, bliss!), hints, automatic code formatting (ALT+SHIFT+F formats the whole file), class browser, package browser, etc. etc.

Also, I do work with Java so I can switch between projects without changing the IDE :)

You can get a vim plugin for NetBeans that gives you most of the editing power of vim in the netbeans ide.

I use NetBeans a little bit but it is a pig on resources.

jpkotta
August 13th, 2009, 01:24 AM
emacs. ;)

I use Emacs, but there are at least 2 python modes (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PythonMode). Personally, I prefer python-mode.el (https://launchpad.net/python-mode). I like how the indentation works, and it is pretty well-integrated with Emacs.

lykwydchykyn
August 13th, 2009, 03:41 AM

I suppose in some situations it might be worth it. Personally, I rarely do much more than a few hundred lines of code in Python in any given project, so debugging rarely gets deep for me.

Mateo
August 13th, 2009, 03:46 AM
If you use it for scripting then it's not worth the price, but if you're trying to develop something larger (a database backend project, a web application), I definitely can't live without a visual debugger.