PDA

View Full Version : what should i do?

nismoskys
January 31st, 2006, 03:36 AM
i've been dual booting windows and linux for a couple months now. i really wanna use linux as my primary os but something keeping me back is that all of my files that i access often such as pics, movies, music, are on my 200 gig hard drive that has XP on it. i have ubuntu, currently, on my secondary, 40 gig harddrive. accessing these files whenever i want to, is a pain through linux, pretty much because i have to travel from the root of the drive all the way to my documents, as well as the lack of write support for my NTFS harddrive. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions, on how i could get linux, on my 200 gig hdd, while being able to access all my music/pics/etc.. as if they were on the same hdd that linux recognized as its own. i could probably get another 40 gig hdd to move my files onto temporarily, but i have nothing greater. i currently have about 87.5 gigs of files that i would like to use, directly under linux.

rather confusing :-k ? yes. any help would be appreeciated. thanks.

DoorGunner
January 31st, 2006, 03:43 AM
If you would like to try a fat32 partion you could share between your windows and Ubuntu. For me this was a good solution. Personnaly i use both Ubuntu and Windows.

For your self the partion can be used to transfer your files into ....then still use Ubuntu to manage them.....that way if you want to get rid of windows at some point you can.

aysiu
January 31st, 2006, 03:47 AM
I second the motion on making a FAT32 partition to share files between the two OSes.

TechSonic
January 31st, 2006, 03:47 AM
O.o I just setup 3 Hard drives. I keep Ubuntu on the Master, XP on the secondary Master and my 40gig FAT32 on my Slave. That way one drive works as My Documents or "Junk Storage" while both operating systems are able to access it with read and write. There is no way in hell you would ever catch me using only 1 hard drive or 2, unless I got rid of XP. I always keep my good stuff (or things backed up) on my 3rd drive just so I can repartition a drive for Ubuntu or Windows without being scared that I would lose my data. Makes things really easy that way.

Now only if you could Mount Extended 3 partition on Windows, now that would be phat. That way if I ever HAVE to use XP for access something IE only, I can transfer over and feel good about not using FAT32 shotty compression.

prizrak
January 31st, 2006, 03:48 AM
Gunner has a good idea, I say do it.

nismoskys
January 31st, 2006, 03:57 AM
hmm, ill consider it nd see if itll work out. thanks for the quick replies guys.