PDA

View Full Version : Is HTML important?

s3a
August 11th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I want to be a software engineer when I grow up. Would you say HTML is important or just things like C, C++, python, perl, etc? I'll have the option to take that as a complimentary course (Learning HTML) instead of Physical education later on this year or something.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

.Maleficus.
August 11th, 2009, 03:36 PM
If you ever plan to do any kind of web development, then yes, of course it's important. No matter what language you use to write the web app, HTML will always be the markup you use. Say you use PHP - the logic is done in PHP, the output is displayed with HTML. This is the same no matter what you use or what you write.

ee_guy
August 11th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Yes, it is important, and taking a class like that would be useful. However, I would concentrate on learning C, C++, and a scripting language in your free time. The more you learn now, the easier it will be later on.

stevescripts
August 11th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Note that HTML is a *markup* language, and not a programming language.

Still, taking that class is certainly not a bad idea, I doubt there are many folks here who haven't done at least a bit of HTML ...

For a bit of a head start on the class, see the w3 schools tutorial -
http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

Steve
PS - don't forget to take care of your body too - advice from an old-fart!

Mirge
August 11th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Note that HTML is a *markup* language, and not a programming language.

Still, taking that class is certainly not a bad idea, I doubt there are many folks here who haven't done at least a bit of HTML ...

For a bit of a head start on the class, see the w3 schools tutorial -
http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

Steve
PS - don't forget to take care of your body too - advice from an old-fart!

Yes, HTML is important.

Steve, nothing clears my head like a good work-out! :)

credobyte
August 11th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Each and every software engineer ( no matter in which field you are working at ) should know HTML ( not to mention that it's not a programming language and most probably will not take too long to learn it ).

AlexC_
August 11th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Or take the PE class and learn how to keep fit and help protect against common injuries, which will in turn make you able to focus much better in general (and on your C/C++ learning).

You're a kid (assuming from the 'when I grow up' bit), and have many many many years to learn HTML (which is quite simple). Go outside and explore the thing people seem to have forgotten.

Now, to answer the topic title verbatim: Yes, it is. Even if you have no intention of doing web development as your ... hobby/profession, you'll most likely want to create a web page for that Python app you wrote.

Reiger
August 11th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Yes. If only to be able to understand the "historical" reasons for why some things are the way they are (e.g. why many JavaDoc style tools use inline HTML for inclusion with the final mark up).

HTML is not just something you "do websites in". It is also a key component of many application Help systems; and sometimes you may want to use HTML/CSS in your User Interface code, simply because its declarative nature is the easiest way to do a lot of picky text formatting tasks (rather than doing manual alignments/colors/theming-support that need to take resizing/theming-support/accessibility into account).

And of course HTML will be the bread and butter of things like e-mails/online-help/documentation.

The simple fact is that HTML is so ubiquitous that unless you are working on very "closed" systems that need to take only themselves into account you will often reach for those "common denominator" formats of which HTML is one.

Mirge
August 11th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Or take the PE class and learn how to keep fit and help protect against common injuries, which will in turn make you able to focus much better in general (and on your C/C++ learning).

You're a kid (assuming from the 'when I grow up' bit), and have many many many years to learn HTML (which is quite simple). Go outside and explore the thing people seem to have forgotten.

Now, to answer the topic title verbatim: Yes, it is. Even if you have no intention of doing web development as your ... hobby/profession, you'll most likely want to create a web page for that Python app you wrote.

I _do_ agree, AlexC... except for when I was a kid, PE was a joke. We did _nothing_... sat around and talked. Hopefully his will be different and actually be active!

hessiess
August 11th, 2009, 06:08 PM
(X)HTML is trivial, CSS is somewhat complicated however.

credobyte
August 11th, 2009, 06:09 PM
(X)HTML is trivial, CSS is somewhat complicated however.

This is the first time when I hear someone saying this .. CSS isn't complicated at all 8-[

hessiess
August 11th, 2009, 06:15 PM
This is the first time when I hear someone saying this .. CSS isn't complicated at all 8-[

If you want to do things like fully dynamic layouts, or dynamic rounded corner boxes it can be complicated, especially if you want it to work in all browsers (including IE) AND validate. HTML is trivial, I wouldn't be surprised if someone who has never sean it before could pick it up in a couple of hours. However I have bean doing CSS layouts for about a year, and still learn new techniques regularly.

wojox
August 11th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I use CSS for defining how my HTML elements are diplayed. If I do pure CSS like fully dynamic layouts, or dynamic rounded corner boxes I think the better word is Frustrating.

AlexC_
August 11th, 2009, 07:25 PM
border-radius: 8px;
-moz-border-radius: 8px;
-khtml-border-radius: 8px;
-webkit-border-radius: 8px;

And be done =). Sure, leaves out MSIE but for eye candy like this, I think it's worth it.

Mirge
August 11th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Before this thread gets totally bombarded with other stuff, I believe the general consensus is: Yes, HTML is worth learning.