PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Microsoft VPC & Ubuntu

duner
August 11th, 2009, 09:13 AM
[This actually doesn't concern Wubi as much as it does Ubuntu]

I'm attempting to boot Wubi/Ubuntu installation in Microsoft Virtual PC from the installation disk that I have burned.
The Ubuntu logo comes up, the menu with 4 or 5 options comes up for about 3 seconds, then the language selection pops up, but I am unable to click on anything; only F1 works for Help, which doesn't seem to help me at all.
If I don't press or click anything after the language choice menu comes up (automatically), a "30s" timer comes up and counts down from 30, then brings up what is apparently a boot menu, ending in "[ 1.528003] ---[end trace 4ea2a86a8e2da22]---" and does nothing after that (I waited 20 mins---nothing). I've tried rebooting the virtual machine, but with the same result. I'm new to Linux/Ubuntu. I checked out the small section of Help for Microsoft VPC on this site, but it's not detailed enough to help me with this issue. I suppose I could try installing Ubuntu with Wubi from an existing VPC that I have with WinXP...
Thanks for any suggestions!

3rdalbum
August 11th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Virtual PC is made by Microsoft - they don't want you to run Ubuntu :-D Actually, Virtual PC is really only made to run Windows guests - that's all; you'd be lucky to get anything else to run on it.

Try using Virtualbox - it runs almost any guest operating system you can think of. Very good piece of software.