PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Your opinion on compiz

schmidtbag
August 11th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Here and there I hear and see stuff about people who think compiz is cool. some think its the only thing about Linux that makes it worth using, and some who think its the worst idea ever. I'd like to hear what you all think about it.

I used to use it, but when I did use it, I used it where it would help me as well as make a nice appearance. Using Windows 3.1 and XP for most of my life, I figured I'd treat myself to something appealing and show my stupid Vista-fan friends that their boring, useless, resource hogging effects are inferior to compiz

zeealpal
August 11th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Lol i totally agree with the thing about it owning Aero.

Even better, i made ubuntu look like a Mac completly, but then showed him some of the diffeent effects (Cube, Wobbly, Expo, Burning Windows etc..) and he thought it was really cool and asked me how much it costed and where he could get it.

It was funny when i told him it was free and Compiz'z website. A week later he came back and said he couldnt install it on his MAC. LOL wat an idiot. and he despises Linux cos its free and hated me for a bit cos of that.

Apart from that i think its awesome, and soo light compared to Aero. And looks awesome!

bronkeydain
August 11th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Well I am a 100% convinced OSX user and on ubuntu I wanted to work the same way as on my mac using things like Spaces, Expose, dashboard, arbitrary place windows on virtual desktops, etc.

With compiz I have made my ubuntu machine exactly like my mac, and that is not all, it looks like my mac with AWN and some nice themes. And with Gnome do (works without compiz) I have my spotlight as well.

So yes I LOVE compiz, and not only for the eyecandy. It is incredibly functional to me.

gjoellee
August 11th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Because I have two screens i don't use it because it is impractical.

bronkeydain
August 11th, 2009, 11:30 AM
@gjoellee
Not practical on 2 screens? I have used 2 screens with compiz, why is it impractical?
Just curious...

Subban
August 11th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Practical uses for me, when you take some time to set things up it can be a real timesaver and genuinely useful.

I have super+mousewheel set to zoom desktop, my eyes are getting old and sometimes webpages insist on using teeny little fonts or a grey font on white which is a bit hard to read. Much afster to just zoom in some and read, also I found it a nicer way to watch youtube videos and similar, just a quick zoom and its a decent size.

Desktop corners are set to various functions such as the deskwall which is a fast way to change workspace or move a window around, it becomes second nature to bump the corner to initate it, other corners show the scaled windows on one screen effect (expose like, can't recall compiz name for it), one shows all workspaces windows, another shows only the current workspace windows. Lots of other stuff I am not going to list but you really do have to spend time and tweak compiz into something useful from the default in vanilla Ubuntu.

All in all, compiz can be really useful and not just glitz, I do think the default config really isn't particularly useful or impressive, perhaps a better choice of Visual Effects profiles might help there.

gjoellee
August 11th, 2009, 11:40 AM
1. The effects make the windows close slower, open slower and minimizer slower

2. Multiple desktops with Compiz is kind of bugged or something with Compiz and dual monitors. 2 desktops = a cube, which means that I have to rotate two times to change desktop. (mostly that one).

3. My graphics card is not so powerful (did not include that in the post above). It causes some lags, etc...

4. In my opinion there are just too many settings in CCSM

sanderd17
August 11th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I have used compiz on ubuntu 8.10 but I installed ubuntu 9.04 (because of ext4) and there I haven't installed compiz because I find it's a lot of work to get it installed and working like you want it to work. For me compiz has just a bit to mutch bugs to take the time to install it.