PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Simple Ubuntu/Kubuntu network - help!!

MZ250Supa5
August 11th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I'm trying to set up a simple 'network' connecting two machines together so that I can share an internet connection and share files. A secondary purpose is to learn something about networks.

However, as some others have remarked, most of the 'howtos' suffer from being over complex and unintelligible to the uninitiated. (Tending to contain far too much information for complete beginners.)

I am one such who is getting more and more frustrated at the lack of a simple step-by-step guide to setting up a simple network of two machines. Obviously this is a complex and sometimes complicated business, but everyone has to start from somewhere. Therefore a basic guide of 'first principles' that assumes no previous knowledge would be much appreciated.

Having said the above, I have managed to connect the two machines, as I can 'ping' one from the other, (I haven't worked out how to do this on the machine loaded with Kubuntu as there appears to be no easy way to 'ping' my main, more powerful machine operating Ubuntu).

I'm off to bed now as my mind is now completely boggled.

Tee00
August 11th, 2009, 05:43 AM
If you can ping Kubuntu from Ubuntu with good results, than the machines are communicating and there is no need to ping Ubuntu from Kubuntu. However, if you still want to confirm: open terminal and type ping "ubuntu's ip address". You can always get to terminal with ctrl+alt+F2 (log in with same credentials) and use ctrl+alt+F7 to get back to gui/desktop.

Iowan
August 11th, 2009, 10:38 PM
For connection sharing: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Internet/ConnectionSharing
Easiest *buntu filesharing: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=249889
Samba , SSH, and FTP are other filesharing options - links available if you want to research.

MZ250Supa5
August 13th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Thanks guys, but I'm really very new to all of this, and some trouble understanding. I'm completely lost when it comes to editing .conf files, for example. I'm eager to learn, but much on the forums seems to be directed at fairly experienced users. The network I wish to set up is 'simple', but so must the instructions be! (i.e. absolutely idiot-proof) I'm not really that interested in the technical side of things, and only wish to do this when absolutely necessary.

I use Ubuntu because it's an ethical and principled alternative to Microsoft OS, not because I like messing about with computers.

SocratesTNR
August 13th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Are they wilfully winding you up?

Those links are for major league Geeks...

Windows XP talks to my Ubuntu 8.10 without any set up at all... But Ubuntu 64 9.x and Ubuntu 8.10 may as well be in different Universes...

Not cool...