PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I Give Up! Ubuntu Doesn't Install.

Shi-Ku Chishiki
August 11th, 2009, 02:55 AM
I hate to say it.. but I give up. So far I've spent over 30 plus hours trying to get Ubuntu to install on my system and all I've gotten from it so far is the following..

Boot from CD :
1. HD System Type-(OF)

Cannot load DOS! Any key to retry.

I consider myself a Advanced computer person. I've been so since the 80's starting out with the Commodore Pet.. and continuing on with the Vic-20, C-64, 128, etc.

Over the years I built computers from scratch, installed more OS's and additional pieces of software, networks, routers, printers, etc. than I care to think about.. having worked myself upward from 486's to what I now have and what I'm trying to install on, ie:

AMD Athalon XP 2600
512 of Kingston KVR 333MHz DDR PC2700 Dimm
80 Gig Hitachi 7200 Rpm HD
MS-6734 M-ATX Motherboard by MSI

I'm quite adapt at using "Fdisk" and do all my partitioning that way. Right now I have my full compliment of 80 gigs as the main "C" partition.. and have it activated as such. I've downloaded "Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop" in both the i386.iso and the AMD64.iso.

I've set my Bios to boot in the following manner, ie: CD,Floppy,HD,All Others. I show the i386.iso with 698 MB's and the wubi at 1.46 MB's. So far neither CD/DVD will boot up.. and YES, I've even read the first two hundred or so threads/posts in the "Installation & Upgrade" help forum.. all to no avail. Up untill this point in my computer life I"ve never had any problems installing a OS before.

So the question is.. "Just How Big of A Dummy Am I!?"
<snipped email>

merlinus
August 11th, 2009, 03:05 AM
If you did not do so, checksum the .iso and burn to a CD-R at no more than 4x. If you get to the opening menu, then check the cd for errors as well.

If all this still leads to failure, you might try the text-based alternate install cd.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM