PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Boot, want to delete old copy of Ubuntu and install 9.04?

ubuntu1sttimer
August 11th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Friend has a laptop with XP and I added 8.10. He forgot password. Don't want to blow away XP. How do I remove 8.10 so I can add 9.04 for dual boot? Install disk wants to either remove everything or add 9.04 as third OS. That will limit available space.

Tek-E
August 11th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Couldnt you just boot the 9.04 cd and install over the partition that is holding 8.10? or did you install ubuntu using wubi?

ubuntu1sttimer
August 11th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the idea. Tried it but it still wanted to mess with the Windows partition. Kept trying things until it allowed me a root prompt without a log in. I changed the root password and rebooted. It worked with the new password.

roharme
August 11th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Just boot and install in the Same partition where you had the Older version of Ubuntu.
Am doing the same fror 6.0 to 9.0

Tek-E
August 11th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Just boot and install in the Same partition where you had the Older version of Ubuntu.
Am doing the same fror 6.0 to 9.0
Yeah thats what I meant :P
Woah... 6.0?

ubuntu1sttimer
August 13th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Explored until I found how to change the root password and that allowed me to upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 plus clean up things. It is a laptop and insisted in shutting down every little while. Even when on AC. However, Ubuntu handled that OK so got the job done.

Not sure I could find the change password thing again but it is there and works. Handy for someone that wants full access to our PC and does not care if you know it was done.

Thanks to all for the ideas.