PDA

View Full Version : Local computer services

Dark Aspect
August 11th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Hello

I am thinking about offering some computer services at my college campus such as building computers from parts that the other person has and password recovery. The thing is, I am not sure how much I should charge for my services. I am good with computers but I am not a professional, I would mostly be helping the computer illiterate setup computers and what not.

Since I am not going to be selling the hardware I was thinking some where between $20-$30 to put together a computer - is that to high or low? Password recovery, since its merely a modified ophcrack - $10 or $15, Software Backups $15-$20 and so on.

What are some peoples opinions on these prices? I am trying to come up with creative ways to make money but I have no intention to rip people off. I wanna have fair prices.

I am hurting a lot for money due to the bad economy and unemployment is bad in my area.

cariboo
August 11th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Find out what the rest of the shops on your area are charging for the same services.

Check with your neighbors what they would pay for your services.

Don't undervalue yourself.

gn2
August 11th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Where I am there are a few people who advertise computer fixery on a fixed fee, with a no fix no fee proviso.

chessnerd
August 11th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Compared to computer stores your prices are very cheap. It was going to cost me over $50 to get a hinge replaced on my old laptop and that doesn't include the hardware costs. A hinge for $50!!! You're offering a computer for $30.

Try to see if other students or staff are offering services on campus. If they are, try to match or go below their prices. If they aren't, find people who would be interested in your services and ask them how much they are willing to pay. Also, consider how much you would need to be paid for it to be worth your time. If you know that a computer build is only going to take an hour, charging $20-$30 is reasonable for you. If you think it will take two or three hours then you'll need to charge more.

Dark Aspect
August 11th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Where I am there are a few people who advertise computer fixery on a fixed fee, with a no fix no fee proviso.

Yeah true, I just put on the hand out I was making with open office that prices are negotiable.

Compared to computer stores your prices are very cheap. It was going to cost me over $50 to get a hinge replaced on my old laptop and that doesn't include the hardware costs. A hinge for $50!!! You're offering a computer for $30.

Try to see if other students or staff are offering services on campus. If they are, try to match or go below their prices. If they aren't, find people who would be interested in your services and ask them how much they are willing to pay. Also, consider how much you would need to be paid for it to be worth your time. If you know that a computer build is only going to take an hour, charging $20-$30 is reasonable for you. If you think it will take two or three hours then you'll need to charge more.

Even though prices are negotiable I am thinking I am going to say something like - it depends on the complexity of the model. Since some high end computers can get difficult to build with two and three video cards and what not. Remember though I am just the in between guy, I won't be selling hardware but rather building computers with parts that someone buys on newegg or whatever.

$50 hinge lol

Firestem4
August 11th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Many of us have the same issue trying to decide what to charge. But one thingg you have to realize is while this may be trivial to you. To other people computers are like alien technology.

Also your time and knowledge are worth more than your services. I have seen local freelance workers charge 25 dollars for installing ram. 50 dollars for doing a bare-metal instllation of an OS + setup.

People who do work at customers homes will charge 50 dollars to show up and $50 after the first hour, per hour.

As Cariboo said. Find out what local busineses around the area charge for their services and create a competatively [friendly] service.

Good luck.

Dark Aspect
August 11th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Many of us have the same issue trying to decide what to charge. But one thingg you have to realize is while this may be trivial to you. To other people computers are like alien technology.

I can understand that, heck when it comes to human communication I feel like an alien so. I actually remember orientation at my college and I literary had a woman explain to me what a start menu was. For anyone else I suppose it helps, for me it was just annoying. I tried to explain to her that I know how to use windows and that I was a Linux users and she gave me a blank stare and asked me what Linux was.......

Also your time and knowledge are worth more than your services. I have seen local freelance workers charge 25 dollars for installing ram. 50 dollars for doing a bare-metal instllation of an OS + setup.

So what I am understanding, is I should be charging for labor and not necessary the work? I'll check around since I think everyones agrees thats the best solution.

Thanks everyone, I'll check into it.

Wiebelhaus
August 11th, 2009, 03:53 AM
The shop I work in charges like this:

Service calls:

30 trip
75 Hour with min first hour.

70 hour in shop charged in one fourth increments
30 Diag waived if work is approved.

I'd charge half what a shop does because you won't have the huge overhead also they charge 50% MU on parts which is very freaking high.

If I was doing it out of my truck , I'd charge no Mark up and just charge labor and be up front about it so they know they are getting a good deal. but then again you could charge like 10-20% without feeling to bad about it.

disturbed1
August 11th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Thank about how much your time is worth. Two things can happen with blow out prices like that.

1. No one will trust you because it is too cheap. Quality work costs a premium. Same as looking at a building contractor. If 3 estimates from known certified contractors say $5,000, and one says $1,500 - you would be a fool to take the $1,500 bid unless he was a good friend/family. $4,000 - that's close enough to check on ;)

2. You'll be slammed with business. By the end of the week, you'll average that you made $5.75 an hour, and worked 80 hours in 6 days. Make people mad because your too busy to meet the deadline, or worse, have to turn people away because you are too busy. On your only half day off, you'll nurse the worse caffeine and 5-hour energy drink hang over you ever had in your life :)

Charge an hourly rate, and bill by the half-hour or quarter-hour. All of this of course depends on your skill level and references.

Dark Aspect
August 11th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I'd charge half what a shop does because you won't have the huge overhead also they charge 50% MU on parts which is very freaking high.

:shock:

50 percent?

:shock:

1. No one will trust you because it is too cheap. Quality work costs a premium. Same as looking at a building contractor. If 3 estimates from known certified contractors say $5,000, and one says $1,500 - you would be a fool to take the $1,500 bid unless he was a good friend/family. $4,000 - that's close enough to check on ;)

That probably has some truth to it. I am wishing I had a business degree now. Furthermore I wish I was Microsoft certified as I actually had the chance in high school but walked away so I could play Doom on the day of the final...........

Exodist
August 11th, 2009, 04:18 AM
I charge 35 per hour for my service, of course I dont want anyone to bother me.
What a learned is that 98% of the people who need PC help:
- Dont have original disc (drivers or win__)
- Have hardware failing but dont want to spend any money on knew.
- Stilling running Win98 or 95 and cant figure out why new stuff isnt working.
- Expect you to make a miracle happen for FREE.

So 35per hour is my base price for simple stuff here in Mississippi, USA. But in CA or other higher income states I would easily go to 50 per hour. Thats first hour up front even if it 5mins worth of work and soon as the next hour hits another hourly charge. Not pro rated.

Firestem4
August 11th, 2009, 04:27 AM
So what I am understanding, is I should be charging for labor and not necessary the work? I'll check around since I think everyones agrees thats the best solution.

Thanks everyone, I'll check into it.

Basically that's true... Its easy for us but our time is very valuable. To customers and ourselves. Basically..It has to be enoughh money that its worth it for you. But not so much as to drive off customers (or have them go to other businesses). Business 101 (for the most part).

You already have the skills and knowledge and Technician work isn't like trying to reinvent the wheel. (You charge premiums for that =P ).

The best thing you can do is when you offer your services, have a clear guideline that spells out to people what you charge, how you charge etc. This way they're informed and they can't be angry because your 3 hours of work suddenly cost them 100-200 dollars (including parts or not).

Also remember if you make over 600 dollars in USA it becomes income. you can write off your mileage too (if you record it accurately. And you can charge customers for gas-expenses. California businesses usually reimburse you for 67cents per mile. Depends though. your choice). Even if it is a side-business, its still a lot of work and time on your behalf.

disturbed1
August 11th, 2009, 04:30 AM

So 35per hour is my base price for simple stuff here in Mississippi, USA. But in CA or other higher income states I would easily go to 50 per hour. Thats first hour up front even if it 5mins worth of work and soon as the next hour hits another hourly charge. Not pro rated.

I had to laugh when I read that. Funny, because it is SO true.

Have had several people drop off PC's with PII class CPUs and 128MB or less RAM, and want Windows XP, or Vista installed. Can't figure out why the duct-taped RJ-11 (telephone line) cord in the NIC won't allow them to get online.

I love the people that claim they have no idea why they are getting XXX pop ups. I've never gone to a XXX site The look on their face when I tell them I can print out a sheet detailing the exact time, date, and web sites they've visited so they can figure who has. Now I just say, it happens sometimes - Will that be cash or charge?

You'll learn real quick to tell people you don't need their mouse and keyboard :D

matthekc
August 11th, 2009, 04:44 AM
It might be helpful to find a business major with a slight interest in computers to help with filing, paperwork, taxes. Especially if you plan on doing this above the table with things like checks instead of cash only.
You can offer profit sharing and a knowledge swap...

Firestem4
August 11th, 2009, 04:51 AM
You'll learn real quick to tell people you don't need their mouse and keyboard :D

bring your own. Especially if they have a laptop! :lolflag:

Dark Aspect
August 11th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Very true, My mom used a 350 Mhz windows 98 system until a few months ago. Now she tells me she can't see any difference between windows 98 and windows XP, even had me change the XP theme back to standard windows 95/98 look.

And again, I had a friend who's computer was obviously very fried but expected me to spit out a new motherboard and mount it in his computer within minutes. I suspect it was motherboard since the fans turned and than died. Above all that though, I love it when someone tells me they wanna run vista on a 300-400Mhz processor.

I love the people that claim they have no idea why they are getting XXX pop ups. I've never gone to a XXX site The look on their face when I tell them I can print out a sheet detailing the exact time, date, and web sites they've visited so they can figure who has. Now I just say, it happens sometimes - Will that be cash or charge?

Yeah thats my brother, I finally started blocking his xxx via the windows host file and now he thinks he has a virus.

:lolflag:

It might be helpful to find a business major with a slight interest in computers to help with filing, paperwork, taxes. Especially if you plan on doing this above the table with things like checks instead of cash only.
You can offer profit sharing and a knowledge swap...

Yeah I think paypal would probably be the easiest way for payment. I have a few friends at college (Not really but people I annoy) that might be able to help with some of the smaller details.

bring your own. Especially if they have a laptop! :lolflag:

Maybe I'll make a requirement to be that I have to Lysol wipe their keyboard.

disturbed1
August 11th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Maybe I'll make a requirement to be that I have to Lysol wipe their keyboard.

That's seriously no joke!!! I carry wet naps and hand sanitizer to all of my calls. Most people are generally clean, but not everyone. I have a friend that acquired both Scabies ( http://www.cdc.gov/scabies/ ) and Ringworm ( http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/diseases/ringworm.htm ) from the same support call.

People are easily offended. Let them know that you handle other people's equipment, and would hate to pass something along to them ;)