PDA

View Full Version : Spri Development Thread

jaxxstorm
August 11th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Spri Beta Two Point One is now available

See the release post here (http://sprilinux.com/?q=node/37)

Download it from here (http://sprilinux.com/?q=node/34&path=/beta)

kerry_s
August 11th, 2009, 02:45 AM
i think theres already a project for that, you should get with them.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=684890

#11u-max
August 11th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I've taken up the mantle of creating an Ubuntu based distribution using IceWm as the window manager.

The idea is to make the iso as small a download as possible (preferably under 300mb, but that may prove to be too optimistic)

You can see the plans I've got laid out for Icebuntu at the wiki page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTeam/Derivatives/IceBuntu). I plan on purchasing some webspace in the new future to host Icebuntu once I'm happy with it.

What I Need

I am unfortunately very poor at graphic design of any sort. I am actively looking for someone who could possibly help me with artwork. If you're interested, you can check the themes tutorial (http://www.icewm.org/themes/) for IceWm and see if it's for you. If you're still happy with helping out, contact me via private message and we'll arrange something.

I'm planning on using SLiM for the login manager, due to it being small and lightweight. Anyone interested in making a theme for Icebuntu's login page should look here (http://slim.berlios.de/themes_howto.php) - if you're still happy, again contact me via private message and i'll put you in contact with the theme developer so we can agree on a middle ground and keep the theme consistant.

Thanks for all the help in advance, hopefully we can make an attractive and functionality Ubuntu based distro :)

i might can make a couple wallpapers in inkscape. nothing too serious, i just like drawing in inkscape!

#11u-max
August 11th, 2009, 03:46 AM
how do you like it?

jaxxstorm
August 11th, 2009, 10:46 AM
i think theres already a project for that, you should get with them.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=684890

Thanks, that project was started by mark1989, I'm taking over as he doesn't have time to develop anymore, so I've made a new thread so I can keep track of it, hence the new thread!

jaxxstorm
August 11th, 2009, 11:10 AM
how do you like it?

Hello #11u-max

I like it! It needs a bit more polish, but as a colour theme its exactly what I'm looking for! Can you create one with a bit more polish?

jaxxstorm
August 11th, 2009, 11:20 AM
PPA Has been created

https://launchpad.net/~icebuntu-team

markp1989
August 11th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Subscribed :D

Jesus_Valdez
August 11th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I don't have graphic nor programming abilities, but I'll be glad to help on any other thing, testing, seeding, etc.

jaxxstorm
August 11th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I don't have graphic nor programming abilities, but I'll be glad to help on any other thing, testing, seeding, etc.

Thanks for the help, it'll be a couple of weeks before the first development version is ready. In the meantime, if you have any suggestions for lightweight GTk apps, I'm happy to hear them.

#11u-max
August 11th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Hello #11u-max

I like it! It needs a bit more polish, but as a colour theme its exactly what I'm looking for! Can you create one with a bit more polish?
that was a 30 second idea thing, since you like it, i'll polish it up!

#11u-max
August 11th, 2009, 11:40 PM
like it? love it? hate it?

send me a little feedback on what it needs to look better!

the second one is just the icebuntu logo.

jaxxstorm
August 11th, 2009, 11:56 PM
like it? love it? hate it?

send me a little feedback on what it needs to look better!

the second one is just the icebuntu logo.

I like them both.

The only thing I don't like is the font at the moment. I think we can probably live without the font at all for both the logo and background, just the graphics will do!

Thanks a lot

#11u-max
August 12th, 2009, 12:07 AM
hold on and i'll just make it the circle of friends logo.

#11u-max
August 12th, 2009, 12:19 AM
there, now the wallpaper only has the CoF with the ice cicles hanging off of it, and i have also included just the CoF with ice cicles hanging off it

jaxxstorm
August 12th, 2009, 12:55 AM
there, now the wallpaper only has the CoF with the ice cicles hanging off of it, and i have also included just the CoF with ice cicles hanging off it

I really do like that, thanks very much for the work!

jaxxstorm
August 12th, 2009, 12:58 AM
As for an update.

I've created my minimal install and begun playing around with the first of the many apps that need to be added - login managers.

I've tested so far;

WDM - Ugly and old, definitely not an option

SLiM - Looks good, seems to be quite functional. However, I'm not happy with the way the reboot feature works, so that made need fixing

Enter (http://enter.sourceforge.net/) - I couldn't get this to compile at all. If anyone knows how to get it compiled, let me know

Orthos (http://e-x-a.org/?view=orthos) - Far too flashy for what I need it for.

So its looking like SLiM or GDM at the moment, which is a shame, because I liked the look of orthos!

#11u-max
August 12th, 2009, 01:05 AM
would you happen to need anymore artwork for icebuntu?

jaxxstorm
August 12th, 2009, 01:38 AM
would you happen to need anymore artwork for icebuntu?

I'll need a login screen, and IceWm theme. I haven't decided on which login manager I'm using yet. IceWm theme information is tricky, but information about how to make them can be found here (http://www.icewm.org/themes/)

Islington
August 12th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I can also be of assitance in the art depart. http://islingt0ner.deviantart.com/gallery/

Max Uglee
August 12th, 2009, 02:05 AM
I still use marks old IceBuntu on 2 PC's (a great OS, I upgraded to 8.10 on both of them without much of a problem, nothing really broke), I am happy to see someone picking the project back up.

I use the XFCE task manager in mine and it performs much better than the gnome monitor, so I would recomend that as default.

Opera 10 beta flies on older hardware, I use that as well, I recomend it as default.

EDIT: Now I'm looking at some benchmarks of Firefox 3.5 and it seems they have really stepped up their performance so Firefox may be the better pick.

Deluge runs pretty well and is very feature rich as a bit torrent program.

I would also say replace totem (gstreamer) with either vlc or mplayer, they are both much faster. The older vlc versions that use wxwidgets would prevent the need for all the QT deps. Vlc can do it all, including great DVD support, it also has a playlist, last i checked, mplayer didn't im thinkin? The reason i say ditch gstreamer is because it seems to bring everything to a crawl.

These are just suggestions. Let me know what you think. I believe all of the above would keep it all GTK without too many deps? There are a few more things that I have replaced I'm gonna check when I get home. Were you thinking of PCman as a FM? Thunar maybe?

#11u-max
August 12th, 2009, 02:07 AM
i've thought up an ice theme in gnome that you can see in the august 2009 screenshot thread, but it is for gnome. i don't know how that would workout in icewm.

Max Uglee
August 12th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I havent tried it yet (in IceBuntu) but Puppy Linux uses Rox as a desktop. If you want to have Icons on the Desktop it may be a good route to go.

jaxxstorm
August 12th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Ok, I've been working on this all day.

The situation.

Midori is installed as default browser, flash works fine and it FLIES along even on my old laptop.

I've installed the bluebuntu theme from here (http://www.box-look.org/content/show.php/BluBuntu?content=104012) for the time being, although it clashes slightly with the desktop - I'm still hoping someone nice will come along and make a theme, but it'll do for the time being.

I still haven't chosen a login manager so you have to login and use startx at the moment, but I will choose one!

I've added Sakura as a terminal emulator and I'm really happy with it. Lightweight, easy to use, tabbed interface.

I've been tweaking the UI all day, and I've settled for the taskbar at the top. It seems to work better and is easier. I've been looking to try get multiple panels but it just seems overkill. I've removed everything from the panel except the bare minimum.

I've got nitrogen handling the desktop, I'm fairly sure I'm not going to have anything handling desktop icons, just to keep it clean on the desktop.

Next I'll be choosing a login manager and adding a quick conky file, which I'll add a menu item to configure. I then need to add a text editor.

It looks pretty nice, and as I said it flies along, really snappy. I should have a first iso ready for tonight fingers crossed :D

Islington
August 12th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I am working on a wall/theme. I am still ripping apart other themes to understand by example, so please have patience.

Could you please post a color pallete that artists should work with? I understand cool colors are obvious, but I would rather have specifics on which blues and so on. :)

jaxxstorm
August 12th, 2009, 06:03 PM
There is a post on the previous pages of the wallpaper someone made. The colours in that are EXACTLY what I'm looking for. 11u-max is the person that made them, so he is better situated to answer exactly what colour is better.

I really appreciate you taking the time to make the theme!

Also, I like the way the blubuntu theme here is made - the colours are wrong but the shaping etc of the windows are perfect. If you could either modify the colours or recreate this with the colours in the samples on the previous pages it'd be perfect.

The logo that 11u-max made is brilliant, and I'm 99% sure I'll be keeping it, so if you could incorporate it, that'd be fantastic!

jaxxstorm
August 12th, 2009, 06:07 PM
@11u-max

The logo you made in the polished wallpaper, with the ice dropping off the bottom, could you blow that up to a bigger size? I'm designing a website and would like to use the logo on the website and the wiki!

Thanks!

#11u-max
August 12th, 2009, 06:21 PM
how big are you talking about? i'm sure i can resize it even though i'm not at my ubuntu computer.

#11u-max
August 12th, 2009, 07:52 PM
okay, first off are the colors

The ice:
the ice itself-#00ffff
highlights-#00aad4

Circle of Friends:
lightest-#00ffcc
medium-#00aad4
darkest-#0044aa

Wallpaper Background-#0000FF

and the resized circle of friends:

[BTW, the actual size is about 2.9 inches wide, and 3.4 inches high]

jaxxstorm
August 12th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Any suggestions on best way to make the live cd? By hand? Remastersys is a no go because it pulls half of gnome with it!

bootcdwrite perhaps?

Mark76
August 12th, 2009, 10:19 PM
May I suggest something.

For the large version of the CoF how about replacing the small circles with snow flakes?

Also... +1 to the suggestion for using ROX as a filer and desktop manager :D

Max Uglee
August 13th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Also... +1 to the suggestion for using ROX as a filer and desktop manager :D

Yea it is only like 500kB tops and it flies. It is very light on resources and very stable. I don't like it so much as a filer, but as a desktop it is by far the best lightweight option. I understand not worrying about icons on the desktop but if you decide to I would say it is the best way to go.

Max Uglee
August 13th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Hey jaxxstorm it looks like bootcdwrite only creates live CD's. Is it possible to create an installer?

I agree with you about remastersys, use as little of Gnome as possible!

How was Crunchbang built? I can't find much about it but it does not use many Gnome apps and has a full featured installer.

Orlsend
August 13th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I am going to purchase a big hosting plan in about 20 days, I would not mind sharing some bandwith. I will post again to confirm.

jaxxstorm
August 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Hey jaxxstorm it looks like bootcdwrite only creates live CD's. Is it possible to create an installer?

How was Crunchbang built? I can't find much about it but it does not use many Gnome apps and has a full featured installer.
I have managed to modify the Remastersys source so that it doesn't pull half of gnome when it installs. I should have an ISO available within the next week. I've been building in VirtualBox - however when my new laptop arrives I'll be building from scratch there and the first ISO should be available - we'll call it a pre-alpha :)

jaxxstorm
August 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM

The installer is covered by Ubiquity, then I'll sort out a text install CD later in the process.

Mark76
August 13th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Is anyone actually seeding the icebuntu iso? Because so far I have nada bytes.

Mark76
August 13th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Yea it is only like 500kB tops and it flies. It is very light on resources and very stable. I don't like it so much as a filer, but as a desktop it is by far the best lightweight option. I understand not worrying about icons on the desktop but if you decide to I would say it is the best way to go.

Even if you don't use it for icons you can still use it to set the background.

jaxxstorm
August 13th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Ok, I've purchased icebuntu.com - which is going to be a problem as Canoncial own the rights and trademark to any Ubuntu or *buntu distribution.

So, it looks like either I'm going to have to get permission to use the domain or change the name. I'll host the iso at icebuntu.com when I finish it until it gets ironed out.

Does anyone knows who I can contact to ask about using icebuntu.com? I know Easy Peasy had to change its name because of this so I've wasted £4.99 of my money buying the domain (I already has hosting so that isn't really an issue!)

Mark76
August 13th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I'd suggest getting in touch with Canonical. I don't think they have any problem with buntu being used for a fork so long as the DE/WM is stable (hence why the E17+Ubuntu guys aren't allowed to use the buntu suffix).

jaxxstorm
August 13th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I'd suggest getting in touch with Canonical. I don't think they have any problem with buntu being used for a fork so long as the DE/WM is stable (hence why the E17+Ubuntu guys aren't allowed to use the buntu suffix).

Have emailed them just, now hopefully all will be ok!

Thanks for your continued input Mark

jaxxstorm
August 13th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Remastersys is the most frustrating piece of software I've ever encountered!

I've managed to configure it so it doesn't pull metacity with it when it installs, however NOW it the ISO's it generates aren't bootable!

Added to that, my first build is not so broken with pieces of software scattered here and there I'm going to have to rebuild :(

I WILL get a first build out before the end of the week, I'm sure of it.

On the plus side, the artwork looks FANTASTIC. I've recieved a SLiM theme from the rather helpful pelle.k - I've used the logo crated by 11u-max and I've merged the logo with a background fro pelle.k again to make an extremely attractive background, so its looking rather good at the moment.

I could still use some theme tinkering, but I believe someone might be working on that at the moment.

jaxxstorm
August 13th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Ok, I'm going to be able to continue with this until this problem gets fixed

Ok, I'm trying to use remastersys to spin a custom distro.

I run

sudo remastersys dist

and everything seems to progress smoothly.

However, when I try to mount the ISO in virtualbox, the error I get is

FATAL: Could not find boot medium.

I can't even open the ISO files that it generates, they apparantly have an invalid file/folder in them.

I'm using version 2.0.12-1 if it matters?

or until i get a second machine to test on - which should arrive Saturday.

In the mean time

www.icebuntu.com

#11u-max
August 13th, 2009, 06:42 PM
need any theming for the website?

jaxxstorm
August 13th, 2009, 06:45 PM
need any theming for the website?

If you're any good with wordpress themes you can knock something up and I'm happy to look!

markp1989
August 13th, 2009, 08:43 PM
The installer is covered by Ubiquity, then I'll sort out a text install CD later in the process.

Have a look here for install CD I never tried this one. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallCDCustomization

This is the guide that i used to make icebuntu CD when i used to do it. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

#11u-max
August 13th, 2009, 08:51 PM
If you're any good with wordpress themes you can knock something up and I'm happy to look!
i have no clue what a wordpress theme is. are you able to just start with a blank site and customize from there?

jaxxstorm
August 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I cannot find a CMS that works for me. If anyone adept in web design fancies knocking up a front page template, I'm happy to give them FTP access to the website.

Warpnow
August 14th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Oh, God, please don't use Rox...

I just can't stand that thing...

Drupal is an insanely nice CMS.

jaxxstorm
August 14th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Oh, God, please don't use Rox...

I just can't stand that thing...

Drupal is an insanely nice CMS.

I'm not using ROX.

I've played with Drupal but just can't seem to configure how I like :(

Good News however! The first Live CD that actually WORKED is here!

Bad news

SLiM is not supported in Live CD's - Only GDM :(

Network Manager (also required it seems in Jaunty - WiCD hung at configuring network interfaces) makes the initial build a bigger iso than I wanted it to be.

However - it is FAST. I've just booted from the smallest virtualbox config I could find and it flew into the environment, which is always nice :)

Mark76
August 14th, 2009, 03:18 PM
You could use Nitrogen for a background setter, iDesk for icons and XFE for a file manager. I'm suggesting XFE because it has a number of inbuilt tools, such as a text editor and picture viewer, that might be useful.

http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/index.php?page=features

Warpnow
August 14th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I'm not using ROX.

I've played with Drupal but just can't seem to configure how I like :(

Good News however! The first Live CD that actually WORKED is here!

Bad news

SLiM is not supported in Live CD's - Only GDM :(

Network Manager (also required it seems in Jaunty - WiCD hung at configuring network interfaces) makes the initial build a bigger iso than I wanted it to be.

However - it is FAST. I've just booted from the smallest virtualbox config I could find and it flew into the environment, which is always nice :)

Drupal is rather barebones without modification. If you want a more all-in-one experience Joomla is nice, and alot easier to configure.

markp1989
August 14th, 2009, 04:16 PM
if your still planing to use pcmanfm as the filemanager you can use that to manage desktop background, and icons

jaxxstorm
August 14th, 2009, 05:07 PM
www.icebuntu.com is now looking semi decent, and ISO's will appear there hopefully on Sunday evening or Monday morning UK time.

:D

markp1989
August 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM
www.icebuntu.com is now looking semi decent, and ISO's will appear there hopefully on Sunday evening or Monday morning UK time.

:D

looks very smooth :D

Jesus_Valdez
August 14th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Looks great, semi empty, but great.

Waiting for Sunday.

jaxxstorm
August 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Will start to add screeshots etc once the first build is done. Thanks for the interest.

#11u-max
August 14th, 2009, 06:05 PM
jaxxstorm, are you able to use the ubuntu title font for the website? it just seems like it would fit alongside the icebuntu logo.

jaxxstorm
August 14th, 2009, 06:28 PM
jaxxstorm, are you able to use the ubuntu title font for the website? it just seems like it would fit alongside the icebuntu logo.

I'll have a look see if its possible later

jaxxstorm
August 14th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Screenshots are now available

http://icebuntu.com/?q=node/6

markp1989
August 14th, 2009, 06:57 PM

http://www.box-look.org/content/show.php/IceBuntu?content=62935 have you seen this icewm theme? paired with the human gtk theme, it looks very nice.

edit: i think your using it in the screen shot, slow moment

Max Uglee
August 14th, 2009, 08:10 PM
if your still planing to use pcmanfm as the filemanager you can use that to manage desktop background, and icons
+1, at least for the FM and backgound

Johnny K
August 15th, 2009, 02:01 AM

Do you plan on leaving the taskbar at the top? I would personally prefer it at the bottom, but maybe that's just me.

Oh, and points for going with Drupal! If you need any help with Drupal stuff, feel free to PM me (though I can't promise that I'll have much time to contribute).

#11u-max
August 15th, 2009, 02:15 AM
need more artwork?

#11u-max
August 15th, 2009, 02:50 AM
jaxxstorm, i made an account on the icebuntu website, but i never got an activation e-mail! can that be re-sent? or are you manually able to activate my account? the account name is 11u-max.

Johnny K
August 15th, 2009, 06:55 AM
jaxxstorm, i made an account on the icebuntu website, but i never got an activation e-mail! can that be re-sent? or are you manually able to activate my account? the account name is 11u-max.

You should be able to reset your password here (http://icebuntu.com/?q=user/password).

Tipped OuT
August 15th, 2009, 07:03 AM
What's so good about IceWM?

jaxxstorm
August 15th, 2009, 12:20 PM
need more artwork?

Anything you want to make, I'm happy to use. More backgrounds available = more choice for the user

jaxxstorm
August 15th, 2009, 12:22 PM

I've removed the activation email that is required, so just signing up should be ok now.

If you need your password resetting send me a private msg

jaxxstorm
August 15th, 2009, 12:23 PM
What's so good about IceWM?

It is really really really light. Probably lighter than Openbox - except it stil stays functional. It supports GTK and is extremely user friendly. It'll be perfect for older hardware, and it should still be familiar to users of normal ubuntu.

Cam42
August 15th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Can I get an image of the Icebuntu logo? I want to make a wallpaper.

jaxxstorm
August 15th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Can I get an image of the Icebuntu logo? I want to make a wallpaper.

The logo should have been posted a few pages back by 11u-max

jaxxstorm
August 15th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I am delighted to announce that the first alpha version of Icebuntu is now available from the website - http://icebuntu.com

Click the download Link for more details

Tipped OuT
August 15th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I am delighted to announce that the first alpha version of Icebuntu is now available from the website - http://icebuntu.com

jaxxstorm, I am indeed a graphical designer, I may help you with themes.

I just need to know what you want. Just a random theme, or a specialized theme for Icebuntu?

Jesus_Valdez
August 15th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Midori! Yeah!

markp1989
August 15th, 2009, 08:25 PM

Nice, im gona download it now :D

jaxxstorm
August 15th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Any feedback is greatly appreciated - please appreciate it isn't ready for production use yet - its still an alpha!

Johnny K
August 15th, 2009, 09:01 PM
If it's of any use to anybody, here is another version of the Ubuntu logo modified to use shades of blue.

Mark76
August 15th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Nice. But I still think you should replace the dots with snow flakes :D

jaxxstorm
August 15th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Has anyone tested - any problems - feedback?

Johnny K
August 15th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Nice. But I still think you should replace the dots with snow flakes :D

Agreed :-)

The dots need to be replaced with something, for sure. Many derivatives do the same.

Mark76
August 15th, 2009, 09:27 PM
It worked okay in Virtualbox.

Bit spartan, though.

#11u-max
August 16th, 2009, 12:04 AM
jaxxstorm, i don't have permissions to post up in the icebuntu forums, what's going on?

btw, ~CONGRATS ON TEH FIRST RELEASE!!!~:)
:popcorn::guitar:

jaxxstorm
August 16th, 2009, 12:20 AM
It worked okay in Virtualbox.

Bit spartan, though.

Get the basics right, and the rest will follow is the idea.

I have some questions though

Did it login automatically?

Did the networking work?

If you logout, does SliM and its theme appear?

They are my main concern - I had to modify the casper script (with some help - thanks pelle.k) to get them functional, so I didn't want to add any more program till I was sure these things worked

jaxxstorm
August 16th, 2009, 12:21 AM
jaxxstorm, i don't have permissions to post up in the icebuntu forums, what's going on?

btw, ~CONGRATS ON TEH FIRST RELEASE!!!~:)
:popcorn::guitar:

try it now

#11u-max
August 16th, 2009, 12:22 AM
dude, icebuntu is awesome!!! there is NO lag in a virtual machine with very little memory!!! CONGRATS!!! the only problem is that @ is interpreted as " and vice versa.

jaxxstorm
August 16th, 2009, 12:36 AM
dude, icebuntu is awesome!!! there is NO lag in a virtual machine with very little memory!!! CONGRATS!!! the only problem is that @ is interpreted as " and vice versa.

Thats because of the local. I'm UK - therefore thats how the keyboard is setup. Once you've installed via Ubiquity that'll be eliminated.

studavis
August 16th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Really interesting, loads fast and looks good. One question, I can't get IceWM to run.
I am running from USB drive at present. In terminal , typing icewm tells me it's already running.
Accessing from the menu does nothing.

Mark76
August 16th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Get the basics right, and the rest will follow is the idea.

I have some questions though

Did it login automatically?

Did the networking work?

If you logout, does SliM and its theme appear?

They are my main concern - I had to modify the casper script (with some help - thanks pelle.k) to get them functional, so I didn't want to add any more program till I was sure these things worked

Yes to all three.

jaxxstorm
August 16th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Really interesting, loads fast and looks good. One question, I can't get IceWM to run.
I am running from USB drive at present. In terminal , typing icewm tells me it's already running.
Accessing from the menu does nothing.

So, just to confirm.

It drops you into a TTY with no WM running?

What does
startx do?

sideaway
August 16th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Hey there guys, just burning a CD. Going to test on a hardware limited laptop

Compaq Armada 1592DT:-
Pentium MMX 233mhz
96mb edo RAM
2.98gb HDD
1 x USB port with a Ethernet adapter plugged in.

I realise this is going to be a slow process as there's not text based installer yet as far as I know. But we'll see how things go and get back to you. I hope it works as this computer is picky as to what it'll boot as a live CD.

jaxxstorm
August 16th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Hey there guys, just burning a CD. Going to test on a hardware limited laptop

Compaq Armada 1592DT:-
Pentium MMX 233mhz
96mb edo RAM
2.98gb HDD
1 x USB port with a Ethernet adapter plugged in.

I realise this is going to be a slow process as there's not text based installer yet as far as I know. But we'll see how things go and get back to you. I hope it works as this computer is picky as to what it'll boot as a live CD.

Excellent, I'm excited to know how well you get on.

studavis
August 16th, 2009, 11:01 AM
So, just to confirm.

It drops you into a TTY with no WM running? NO, it just flickers and does nothing. I went to Terminal to see if I could start it manually.

What does
startx do?

icebuntu@icebuntu:~$ startx
xauth: error in locking authority file /home/icebuntu/.Xauthority
X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
xinit: Server error.
xauth: error in locking authority file /home/icebuntu/.XauthorityGives Error,

sudo startx gives similar (bit different).

Another thing I notice, the Wireless Connection Icon disappears after connection. EDIT: After logout and login it does appear correctly. Seems to be problem just first time I boot.

Hope you can figure it out.

studavis
August 16th, 2009, 11:06 AM
A couple other points:
The mouse does not highlight the selection in the application menu.
Font Color in Logout box (text) is a strange orange, I can't read it. The buttons are okay.

Looking forward to seeing ICE developing into a fully fledged system!

Mark76
August 16th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I still have an iso file for the original icebuntu on my hard drive :)

jaxxstorm
August 16th, 2009, 12:46 PM
icebuntu@icebuntu:~$ startx
X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
xinit: Server error.
xauth: error in locking authority file /home/icebuntu/.XauthorityGives Error,

sudo startx gives similar (bit different).

Another thing I notice, the Wireless Connection Icon disappears after connection. EDIT: After logout and login it does appear correctly. Seems to be problem just first time I boot.

Hope you can figure it out.

I'm confused, if you can see the Wireless Connection icon - IceWM must already be running? What do you mean about starting IceWM?

jaxxstorm
August 16th, 2009, 12:47 PM
A couple other points:
Font Color in Logout box (text) is a strange orange, I can't read it. The buttons are okay.

I'm aware of this - I believe a couple of people are working on IceWM themes - the current one is just a stop gap to make it look semi decent

The mouse does not highlight the selection in the application menu.

Do you mean, if you hover over the IceWM menu the selection isn't highlighted? If not, can you be more specific.

studavis
August 16th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I'm aware of this - I believe a couple of people are working on IceWM themes - the current one is just a stop gap to make it look semi decent

Do you mean, if you hover over the IceWM menu the selection isn't highlighted? If not, can you be more specific.

Yes, that's correct, on other menus, like network, it does highlight the selection.

The Logout seems to do strange things, I once got a small window, no name, small Orange diamond symbol in the heading. I can never close it. After logging back in, the Wireless icon has disappeared again. I'll boot up again and do a screen dump if it's of interest.

cheers

sideaway
August 16th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Haha, oh dear I feel stupid. I spent about 2 hours trying to get this CD to boot, I checked it via md5sums I booted it in other machines over and over, I installed Smart Boot Manager and all.

After I got error after error and I couldn't work out why my laptop wasn't detecting the CD. It was a CD btw, not a DVD - I'm not that silly. However upon closer inspection I realised the CD was a ReWritable! And of course, this laptop being old tech can't read rewritables... It's been so long since I've used a CD drive that can't read rewritables, I'd forgotten they existed!

And I have no normal blank CDs left. So, must source a CD first :)

studavis
August 16th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Re IceWM, maybe its my misunderstanding. The icon I refer to is the small connection icon, top right hand corner just next to the time.

I thought IceWM would let me browse the directories/files etc. I can see them via terminal.

Apologies for the confusion.

jaxxstorm
August 17th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Re IceWM, maybe its my misunderstanding. The icon I refer to is the small connection icon, top right hand corner just next to the time.

I thought IceWM would let me browse the directories/files etc. I can see them via terminal.

Apologies for the confusion.

The connection icon in the top right is the nm-applet. After extensive testing I've decided it doesn;t like IceWM and will be removing it in the next version in favour of WiCD.

As for IceWM letting you browse files/directories etc - you've confused it with a file manager. I didn't include one for the reason I wanted to keep the initial set of applications minimal to ensure the base system worked. Now I'm happy it does, I will be adding applications and customizing them to fit and suit IceWM's interface.

The orange box you mentioned is due to a lack of a session manager - which again isn't included and will be added in the next release.

I'm confident nobody has had any major problems and I'll be pushing on for a beta release in the next 2 weeks.

jaxxstorm
August 17th, 2009, 02:49 AM
As an addition - there is now a repository available at http://packages.icebuntu.com.

I will be adding a Wiki at wiki.icebuntu.com very soon. Please do sign up to the forums and leave feedback, it is all appreciated!

studavis
August 17th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Great, look forward to that! Sorry for the confusion re-file manager, I'm a bit of a newbie but do like to try new packages...
good luck with the beta.

#11u-max
August 17th, 2009, 03:01 AM
will we get support for restricted drivers or no?

jaxxstorm
August 17th, 2009, 03:03 AM
will we get support for restricted drivers or no?

Yes - using jockey-gtk

Mark76
August 17th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Here's a screenshot of the old icebuntu :)

Stan_1936
August 17th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Yes - using jockey-gtk

The icebuntu page is down.

Also, will you be adding some more screenshots? Terminal?

markp1989
August 17th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Yes - using jockey-gtk

The link in your sig is wrong.

jaxxstorm
August 17th, 2009, 06:35 PM
The icebuntu page is down.

Also, will you be adding some more screenshots? Terminal?

I've just this minute begun work on the Beta version of Icebuntu. Packages are being built and added to the repo at packages.icebuntu.com.

I upgraded my web hosting to cater for the (hopefully) increased badnwidth hence the downtime earlier today.

I'm aiming to hopefully have the next iso available as of early next week. I'm also creating an icebuntu-desktop metapackage which will allow people to the by simply installing that package.

When all this is done, I'll finish the screenshot page and create a Wiki to enable people to get involved and contribute.

jaxxstorm
August 17th, 2009, 06:36 PM
The link in your sig is wrong.

Thanks - should be fixed now.

bodhi.zazen
August 17th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I will take it for a spin.

My suggestions are that you fix the installer first.

I then advise you keep it light weight, just IceWM and a browser.

With the Ubuntu repositories people can choose what the want to add and ther eis no need to duplicate a project such as Xubuntu.

Spend a little time making a few nice themes and configuring icewm so it looks nice. It has been a while since I ran icewm, but my recollection is there are a few customizations that make it much nicer.

Stan_1936
August 17th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Yes - using jockey-gtk

How different will that be from installing restricted drivers in the regular desktop Ubuntu(Gnome)? Will beginners be able to use it as easily as the regular restricted drivers manager? I ask because I'm not familiar with jockey-gtk.

jaxxstorm
August 17th, 2009, 09:29 PM
How different will that be from installing restricted drivers in the regular desktop Ubuntu(Gnome)? Will beginners be able to use it as easily as the regular restricted drivers manager? I ask because I'm not familiar with jockey-gtk.

Jockey-gtk is the app used in vanilla Ubuntu for installing restricted drivers, so there will be no difference.

jaxxstorm
August 17th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I will take it for a spin.

My suggestions are that you fix the installer first.

I then advise you keep it light weight, just IceWM and a browser.

With the Ubuntu repositories people can choose what the want to add and ther eis no need to duplicate a project such as Xubuntu.

Spend a little time making a few nice themes and configuring icewm so it looks nice. It has been a while since I ran icewm, but my recollection is there are a few customizations that make it much nicer.
Thanks for the advice.

Current plan is to just have a browser, text editor, file manager music player and video player. I personally consider these to be the most important apps.

Max Uglee
August 18th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Current plan is to just have a browser, text editor, file manager music player and video player. I personally consider these to be the most important apps.Sounds like a great plan. Are you still planning on leaving in a terminal emulator? Also how about a task manager? The XFCE task manager is very light and fully featured. I am still using the old IceBuntu and very excited that it is being remade (don't try to install the Xubuntu package with the old one, it breaks a lot of things). Keep up the good work.

jaxxstorm
August 19th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Hello all,

I've been hard at work on Icebuntu - and I feel I'll shortly be happy enough to release what I'll consider "Alpha 2"

Applications have been added. They are

gmrun
lxappearance (changing gtk theme)
roxterm
midori
pcmanfm
gejengel (music player)
gxine (video player)
lxsession (session manager)
nitrogen (wallpaper manager)
slim (login manager)

There are new screenshots of ALL the new stuff, including the chosen GTK theme and icon set at the Icebuntu Website

I would really appreciate any feedback either on the icebuntu forums or on here

Thanks in advance
Jaxx

Direct Link to Screenshots

Mark76
August 19th, 2009, 07:06 AM
If you have PCManFM you don't need Nitrogen to manage the desktop background.

jaxxstorm
August 19th, 2009, 02:19 PM
If you have PCManFM you don't need Nitrogen to manage the desktop background.

I'm aware that PCManFM allows dile and desktop management, however I personally feel its implementation is poor. Plus, by adding nitrogen, it allows for a simple "Change Wallpaper" menu item which makes the act of changing the wallpaper considerably easier.

Also, nitrogen allows me to add a command to the IceWM startup script.

bodhi.zazen
August 19th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Nitrogen is nice.

If I may, I suggest you first release a very light version with minimal applications, primarily themes and configuration. Allow users to select what applications they wish to add (or not) for multimedia, etc.

Then release a larger version with all the bells and whistles, select an application you think is best for common desktop tasks - Word processing, web browsing, e-mail, multimedia, burning CD, IRC, web page development, etc.

This should be easy to do an allow people to add what they wish to a light weight system or download a fuller featured version if they choose.

If you would like an example of how this works , take a look at Wolvix, cub is smaller.

jaxxstorm
August 19th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Nitrogen is nice.

If I may, I suggest you first release a very light version with minimal applications, primarily themes and configuration. Allow users to select what applications they wish to add (or not) for multimedia, etc.

Then release a larger version with all the bells and whistles, select an application you think is best for common desktop tasks - Word processing, web browsing, e-mail, multimedia, burning CD, IRC, web page development, etc.

This should be easy to do an allow people to add what they wish to a light weight system or download a fuller featured version if they choose.

If you would like an example of how this works , take a look at Wolvix, cub is smaller.

The current ISO that I've just spun has a video player, music player, text editor, web browser and comes in just under 350mb. Adding these apps has only added 50mb of "bloat" from the original ISO.

jaxxstorm
August 20th, 2009, 04:10 AM
The next release of icebuntu will be available within the next 12 hours :D

jaxxstorm
August 20th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Hello All. The next release of Icebuntu is now available. Lots of changes, of which all details can be found via the website (http://www.icebuntu.com)

Without further ado, the link to the download page

Download Page (http://www.icebuntu.com/?q=node/9)

jaxxstorm
August 21st, 2009, 11:10 AM
Interest in ths seems to have dwindled somewhat, which is a real shame :(

markp1989
August 21st, 2009, 11:21 AM
Interest in ths seems to have dwindled somewhat, which is a real shame :(

Im downloading now :) , i hadnt checked this thread in a day or so, il test in in virtualbox for now, as i dont have a cd drive in my desktop.

then later on il give the live cd a spin in my sisters pc :D

Keep up the work :D

for an install option, you can run the installer only. with no icewm or other stuff running, but atting only-ubiquity to the kernel line at boot will just give you X + ubiquity on boot, so installing can be quicker on systems with low memory .

also , i would recomend a program called menu maker, i had it installed in the last version i made, it makes the menus alot neater :D

edit: i was just browsing the old icebuntu forum. and found this http://icebuntu.6.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?p=81&highlight=#81 im not sure if it will still work with the new Icebuntu disk, if any one wants to try it, it would be cool :D, if the usb drive works with icebuntu on it , would you consider hosting a usb image like they do for the arch installer for people with out cd drives, such as some netbooks?

jaxxstorm
August 21st, 2009, 01:16 PM
I will be adding the standard installer with just x and ubiquity very soon. I didn't want to overdo the alpha releases.

As for the USB image, I'm more than happy to host it. Once the Live CD is done I'll make an attempt at it myself.

Thanks for the Menu Maker tip, I've been looking for graphical tools, most of them are extremely outdated though

RabbitWho
August 21st, 2009, 02:09 PM
What a wonderful project!
The computer I'm working on now has WindowsXP and a wonderful PuppyLinux but I am stuck using XP because puppy is perfect in every way but won't allow me to connect to the internet... (I've already downloaded a bunch of patches and tried WINE and everything else I could think of) which is the only thing I need this computer for really. I know Ubuntu has automatic instalation of the dongel i'm using.... would this be something shared by Icebuntu?

Computer specs:

10 year old IBM Aptiva
Intel Pentium 3 - 499 MHz,
192MB RAM,
12 GB hard drive (7GB free)

You should have a contest to see who can get the most... challenged... computer to work on Icebuntu. :)

jaxxstorm
August 21st, 2009, 03:24 PM
What a wonderful project!
The computer I'm working on now has WindowsXP and a wonderful PuppyLinux but I am stuck using XP because puppy is perfect in every way but won't allow me to connect to the internet... (I've already downloaded a bunch of patches and tried WINE and everything else I could think of) which is the only thing I need this computer for really. I know Ubuntu has automatic instalation of the dongel i'm using.... would this be something shared by Icebuntu?

Computer specs:

10 year old IBM Aptiva
Intel Pentium 3 - 499 MHz,
192MB RAM,
12 GB hard drive (7GB free)

You should have a contest to see who can get the most... challenged... computer to work on Icebuntu. :)

This is exactly the type of computer that Icebuntu is aimed at. If your dongle works in standard Ubuntu, it will definitely work with Icebuntu too. Give it a try!

bodhi.zazen
August 21st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Making an image that is bootable is very easy. Use the iso image + unetbootin.

Unetbootin is a nice graphical interface and runs on multiple platforms (Windows, Linux, and OSX).

The hardest part about booting from a USB, the BIOS must support it. On these older computers the BIOS sometimes (often ?) does not support booting from USB.

jaxxstorm
August 21st, 2009, 04:58 PM
Can someone please test if a bug I think I've found is present on other systems too.

Try install xfce4-screenshooter using apt-get.

I'm currently getting a segmentation fault.

RabbitWho
August 21st, 2009, 06:27 PM
This is exactly the type of computer that Icebuntu is aimed at. If your dongle works in standard Ubuntu, it will definitely work with Icebuntu too. Give it a try!

Great! If this works i will be so happy, downloading it now.

I'm thinking I'll uninstall puppy and defragment first. I've heard of people having problems with more than 2 partitions.

Any advice for me?

bodhi.zazen
August 21st, 2009, 07:18 PM
Great! If this works i will be so happy, downloading it now.

I'm thinking I'll uninstall puppy and defragment first. I've heard of people having problems with more than 2 partitions.

Any advice for me?

No need to do any of that. You can certainly have more then 2 partitions and Linux file systems do not significantly fragment, well not enough to affect performance, unless your disk space is 98-99% full.

RabbitWho
August 22nd, 2009, 12:17 AM
No need to do any of that. You can certainly have more then 2 partitions and Linux file systems do not significantly fragment, well not enough to affect performance, unless your disk space is 98-99% full.

Woo hoo! It's working! Look! Look!
It connected to the internet immediatly and easily, just like regular ubuntu, no problems. And it's working so nicely. No big bugs.

I still kinda yern for puppy linux.. but if something can't connect to the Internet then what are you gonna do, yanno?

Anyway, it's nice being part of something new :)

running_rabbit07
August 22nd, 2009, 12:20 AM
Will this version have IceWeasel like Debian uses?

Max Uglee
August 22nd, 2009, 02:33 AM
I still kinda yern for puppy linux.. but if something can't connect to the Internet then what are you gonna do, yanno?

Anyway, it's nice being part of something new :)Have you tried Upup or Dpup, they worked on a computer that would not boot to any other puppy (2-4 series).

The big advantage of Icebuntu over Puppy, to me, will be Synaptic EDIT: (and pcman instead of rox as a filer). I am excited.

Jaxx, will the update manager update packages unique to Icebuntu or just the main ubuntu packages? Is that what the icebuntu repo is for?

Icebuntu.com is now the #6 search result for icebuntu on google!(way up from last time I checked) It is off of the radar however on yahoo and bing (not that I ever use them).

jaxxstorm
August 22nd, 2009, 12:14 PM
Have you tried Upup or Dpup, they worked on a computer that would not boot to any other puppy (2-4 series).

The big advantage of Icebuntu over Puppy, to me, will be Synaptic EDIT: (and pcman instead of rox as a filer). I am excited.

Jaxx, will the update manager update packages unique to Icebuntu or just the main ubuntu packages? Is that what the icebuntu repo is for?

Icebuntu.com is now the #6 search result for icebuntu on google!(way up from last time I checked) It is off of the radar however on yahoo and bing (not that I ever use them).

I've just checked the stats and it has been downloaded a rather ridiculous 611 times. I'm gobsmacked. I really didn't expect that level of interest so soon!

The icebuntu repo is for the Gejengel music player, the SLiM 1.3.1 which isn't in the repos and a few other things. I'll be pushing updates via it once I get a finished dist that I'm happy with. I haven't added a GPG key yet, so you'll get a nag message saying any packages I add aren't authenticated.

I'm assuming APT works ok? I found a bug yesterday and was worried it would be present on all machines, but nobody has mentioned it yet so I won't pursue it too much.

RabbitWho
August 24th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Have you tried Upup or Dpup, they worked on a computer that would not boot to any other puppy (2-4 series).

It booted fine it was just the Internet that was impossible.

Anyway I don't need it now I've Icebuntu!

611! That's great. Lots of people have old computers which were sitting around waiting for this to be made :)

bodhi.zazen
August 24th, 2009, 04:01 AM
You really need to set your project up.

IMO this means setting up a home page (partially done), a news page (on the home page), a repository, an IRC channel, an IRC-devel channel, and a means of bug reporting (start a project on Launchpad).

Unless you have explicit permission to use *buntu might as well change now, before you get too far.

The trademark policy is clearly stated here : http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

and starting with a trademark policy is a poor way to start a project.

jaxxstorm
August 24th, 2009, 11:54 AM
You really need to set your project up.

IMO this means setting up a home page (partially done), a news page (on the home page), a repository, an IRC channel, an IRC-devel channel, and a means of bug reporting (start a project on Launchpad).

Unless you have explicit permission to use *buntu might as well change now, before you get too far.

The trademark policy is clearly stated here : http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

and starting with a trademark policy is a poor way to start a project.

I've just come on here with the intention of stating that I'll be changing the name.

The only question now is - What to?

I need suggestions. Ice - Something. Not Icelinux though, I don't like that.

I'll purchase the domain and move the hosting over once I've decided on the name. Any suggestions?

jaxxstorm
August 24th, 2009, 12:04 PM
How about icetu? As in icetulinux? Do you envisage there being any problems with that domain name?

tadcan
August 24th, 2009, 09:52 PM
There is the linux mark institute protects the name so you may have to ask them. http://www.linuxmark.org/

I can't think of any good names, just chessy names like openice, etc

jaxxstorm
August 24th, 2009, 10:13 PM
There is the linux mark institute protects the name so you may have to ask them. http://www.linuxmark.org/

I can't think of any good names, just chessy names like openice, etc The domain name icetu.com is available. I'm thinking that will probably be the name I choose unless I get another brainwave or someone suggests a better one.

Mark76
August 24th, 2009, 10:20 PM
IceColdinLinux :biggrin:

Max Uglee
August 25th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I think a cool name would be to play on the Ubuntu thing. They used a very community oriented (the spirit of Linux) word that sounded good too. Maybe you could out do them, after all, it is not very ubuntu (by the Bantu definition of the word) to not let you use buntu in your project name :) . They quote Nelson Mandela:

A traveller through a country would stop at a village and he didn't have to ask for food or for water. Once he stops, the people give him food, entertain him. That is one aspect of Ubuntu but it will have various aspects. Ubuntu does not mean that people should not address themselves. The question therefore is: Are you going to do so in order to enable the community around you to be able to improve? So you shouldn't have to ask to use *buntu in a project then right? lol

A name is a first impression. It is a BIG deal. It is your project but I would really think about this one if I were you. I am brainstorming, maybe I am getting to deep with this, I just think that a name for a distribution should stand out in order to help it get recognition.

Food for thought:
The Hausa (spoken in Niger and Nigeriaria) word for ice is Kiyaye
Their word for cold is Sanyi
Their word for freeze is Daskara
Their word for simple is Da
Their word for truth is Gaskiya
Their word for community is Taron
Their word for open is Buɗe
Their word for free is Saka

I think that SanyiDa Linux or SanyiBude Linux or SanyiSaka Linux or maybe just Da Linux or Bude Linux or Saka Linux all sound cool. Maybe i just think that other languages sound cooler than English lol.

I couldn't find an online translator for Bantu lol.
I was using these:
http://www.freetranslation.com/results/freetranslation_default_ver2.asp

What about Defibrillator Linux, because it will bring old machines back to life. Maybe Adrenaline Shot Linux (Pulp Fiction style lol).

****** Linux, make that old PC perform like a young one, just kidding, that would be an even bigger court case.

Mint is the most popular Ubuntu derivative by far and they didn't use any buntu or tu in the name. Crunchbang is up there too. Think outside the bun on this one. Maybe it is best to not sound like just another buntu.

Stan_1936
August 25th, 2009, 01:46 AM
I don;t think you should have the word linux in it.

My suggestions:
1. Icecooler
2. Iceblock

Johnny K
August 30th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I don't know if I'd worry too much about Ubuntu's trademark policy. Ubuntu is all about being open. If Canonical were to come after you, they would only be hurting their own reputation. They knows this, and have been rather friendly to the community in the past (even when then community breaks the rules).

Often those restrictions are put on paper for legal reasons, but rarely enforced. That said, I'm not a lawyer. Take everything I say with a grain of salt...and maybe some hot sauce.

bodhi.zazen
August 30th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I don't know if I'd worry too much about Ubuntu's trademark policy. Ubuntu is all about being open. If Canonical were to come after you, they would only be hurting their own reputation. They knows this, and have been rather friendly to the community in the past (even when then community breaks the rules).

Often those restrictions are put on paper for legal reasons, but rarely enforced. That said, I'm not a lawyer. Take everything I say with a grain of salt...and maybe some hot sauce.

That is not true. Canonical will ask (politely) for you to change your name. Canonical is as interested as any other company in trademark infringement and that is how our western society works. Canonical is no better and no worse then any other corporation.

Keep in mind, Canonical is the commercial arm of Ubuntu and they do sell a number of products.

studavis
August 31st, 2009, 07:59 AM
Not really a reply...

I've installed on my hard drive, installed OO and Evoulution and it's running great.

Maybe this is a silly question.... How do I find the Trash Can, Deleted Folder or whatever...

thanks

jaxxstorm
August 31st, 2009, 01:26 PM
Not really a reply...

I've installed on my hard drive, installed OO and Evoulution and it's running great.

Maybe this is a silly question.... How do I find the Trash Can, Deleted Folder or whatever...

thanks

The trash can / Deleted items folder is a Nautilus caveat. PCManFM doesn't support it, it directly deletes items. The developers of Lubuntu seem to be working on it (Mark Shuttleworth will probably insist on it working before he sanctions Lubuntu as an official distro) so when it gets implemented, I'll be sure to add it to Spri :)

Islington
August 31st, 2009, 02:06 PM
The trash can / Deleted items folder is a Nautilus caveat. PCManFM doesn't support it, it directly deletes items. The developers of Lubuntu seems to be working on it (Mark Shuttleworth will probably insist on it working before he santions Lubuntu as an official distro) so when it gets implemented, I'll be sure to add it to Spri :)

Added a new svg wall in the other thread; can icewm use direct svgs as backgrounds?

jaxxstorm
August 31st, 2009, 04:17 PM
Added a new svg wall in the other thread; can icewm use direct svgs as backgrounds?

have you got any experience making usplash themes?

jaxxstorm
September 2nd, 2009, 06:28 PM
Hello everyone.

The new website is now live, with a single sign on system including the main website, forum and wiki page. It's all rather empty at the moment.

I'm afraid the old link for Icebuntu Alpha 2 is now gone. I am aiming to get the spri beta out within the next week or so.

Please check out the website, and feel free to post any suggestions/ideas you have in the forum

Thanks

Jaxx

sideaway
September 3rd, 2009, 04:16 AM
posted feedback on your forum. tried a CD install on the following

Pentium MMX 233mhz
96mb EDO ram
2.98gb HDD

details (http://www.sprilinux.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=3&start=0&S=0bd9ed51dec560886f5d2290421bc011)

Stan_1936
September 3rd, 2009, 05:56 AM
....Pentium MMX 233mhz
96mb EDO ram
2.98gb HDD....

Puppy or DSL...or if you're web browsing only, Browser Linux.

Ubuntu Mini is not that mini.

jaxxstorm
September 3rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
Puppy or DSL...or if you're web browsing only, Browser Linux.

Ubuntu Mini is not that mini.
I'm confident that once the alternate install is done it'll run (just)

Ubuntu minimal is indeed not that mini, but I'm still confident it is Ubiquity that is struggling and not the OS. Running from a Live CD is usually slow - the fact it's only using 50% CPU and 60% RAM at idle from Live CD leads me to believe that it'll run on an alternate install.

jaxxstorm
September 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
Spri Beta One is now available

More details here (http://www.sprilinux.com/?q=node/6)

Stan_1936
September 3rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
I'll be downloading it this weekend.

BTW, 2 questions:
1. Regarding lxappearance, how different will changing icons be relative to how things are done in a default Ubuntu(Gnome) installation?i.e. click icons folder and drag into themes window???
2. On the website, you keep saying "us". Who else is involved with this project? It seems like you're the only one doing the work....

jaxxstorm
September 3rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
I'll be downloading it this weekend.

BTW, 2 questions:
1. Regarding lxappearance, how different will changing icons be relative to how things are done in a default Ubuntu(Gnome) installation?i.e. click icons folder and drag into themes window???
2. On the website, you keep saying "us". Who else is involved with this project? It seems like you're the only one doing the work....

1 - installing icons in lxappearance is easy. Start it up, click the icons tab, click install point the tar.gz file of the icons and it is installed.
2 - There are two of us, a personal friend of mine is also helping. I've also got another member of the forums helping with the website/design now. I'm always looking for people to help, I'm planning to get my hands dirty with some python/C work in the next few weeks to try and make some parts of IceWM easier to use, so anyone with any experience in this is very welcome.

markp1989
September 3rd, 2009, 07:55 PM
Spri Beta One is now available

More details here (http://www.sprilinux.com/?q=node/6)

nice, im downloading now ;D

edit: if with the final release you wana start using torrents (as well has http) to save your bandwith i will happily seen for you

jaxxstorm
September 3rd, 2009, 08:03 PM
nice, im downloading now ;D

edit: if with the final release you wana start using torrents (as well has http) to save your bandwith i will happily seen for you

Excellent, I'm interested to know what you think, considering you started the whole movement :D

EDIT: I'll definitely be using torrents when I get round to it. I've got an unlimited hosting package, so shouldn't be any trouble there, but it's always good to have other distribution methods

markp1989
September 3rd, 2009, 09:38 PM
Excellent, I'm interested to know what you think, considering you started the whole movement :D

EDIT: I'll definitely be using torrents when I get round to it. I've got an unlimited hosting package, so shouldn't be any trouble there, but it's always good to have other distribution methods

i just gave it a quick install (gave it a 2gb partition at the end of my desktops SSD)

before testing i removed my overclock, but still this system is abit 2 powerfull to give spri i proper test.

On first boot after instalation, its using just under 70mb of ram. and has and install of size of 879M (would be perfect to install on a net book)

it looks nice, i like the default theme,

i like the default browser you have chosen, easy on the eyes, and still light, according to ps aux. its using 1.9% of the cpu with 2 tabs open, and 1.4& of ram (on this system that works out at about 4 or 5mb of ram) ... it jumps to about 25% cpu usage when playing a flash video (are you legaly aloud to include flash otb?)

I like the menu layout, by default. the icewm menu is very messy and akward to navigate, i did however notice that if you install a new program (in installd emesene) it doesnt get added to the menu.

i did notice a lack of messaging application, such as pidgin ( i cant fink of any others right now)

im just gona install the restricted drivers, and then il post afew more thoughts up here.

so far its all good :D

edit: to make the system slower, i have underclocked it to 1.2ghz and disabled 1 core.

1 thing i noticed wrong was that during instalation there is an option about having auto login on or off, i enabled it there, and slim still asked me for the password. but im sure thats probably to do with ubiquity assuming that your using gdm.

edit: i noticed anoter small problem, if i press the shutdown button in the icewm menu, it doesnt shutdown, i thinkg this is a permissions problem, i had a similar problem with my laptop and openbox, give me a sec, and il find out how i sorted it.

Nevon
September 3rd, 2009, 09:46 PM
I've got an unlimited hosting package, so shouldn't be any trouble there, but it's always good to have other distribution methods

I have a good friend who works as a system administrator for a web hotel, and trust me when I say; unlimited plans are never unlimited. So unless you're already paying >$2000/month for hosting, you should look into another distribution method - such as using torrents.

Frak
September 3rd, 2009, 10:06 PM

You don't have unlimited CPU time. They'll shut you down if you use too much CPU at a time. All unlimited hosts do.

#11u-max
September 3rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
i've updated the wiki on the website. :)

jaxxstorm
September 3rd, 2009, 10:47 PM
I have a good friend who works as a system administrator for a web hotel, and trust me when I say; unlimited plans are never unlimited. So unless you're already paying >$2000/month for hosting, you should look into another distribution method - such as using torrents.

As I understand it, the bandwidth is unlimited, but I'm on shared hosting, so the CPU performance won't be brilliant. The website will be affected if the distro ever gets popular.

I contacted my hoster before detailing what the requirements will be, and when I said I was producing an Ubuntu based Linux they actually offered me a discount. They've been very helpful so far.

I'll definitely be distributing by torrents though, without a doubt.

EDIT: What frak said ^^

markp1989
September 6th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Bump.

#11u-max
September 7th, 2009, 02:25 AM
would a vertigo wallpaper be included if i made one?

jaxxstorm
September 7th, 2009, 03:15 AM
would a vertigo wallpaper be included if i made one?

All wallpapers have/will be included, anything you create will be added to the spri-desktop metapackage :)

#11u-max
September 7th, 2009, 03:40 AM
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/3637/sprivertigowallpaper.th.png (http://img245.imageshack.us/i/sprivertigowallpaper.png/)

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5413/sprireflectwallpaper.th.png (http://img193.imageshack.us/i/sprireflectwallpaper.png/)

there's a vertigo wallpaper and a reflection one, if you want to edit them in any wy, then i have the SVG files...

#11u-max
September 7th, 2009, 04:44 AM
shiny wallpaper, thoughts?

BslBryan
September 7th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Pretty cool. I made one, too. :-)

In spare time, I've made two more, though they aren't as good as this one. If you'd like to see, just let me know. I make widescreen as well as standard sizes for all of my wallpapers.

jaxxstorm
September 7th, 2009, 03:16 PM
shiny wallpaper, thoughts?

I like it. Will be adding them to the wallpaper packages

:)

On a different note, the Spri wikipedia page (http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/spri) has been massacred by the secondary sources crew, as I expected it would be. If anyone has any reviews, sources or links they can provide to add to the page please add them ASAP it would be a massive blow to me if the Wiki page was deleted.

In other news, we now have a softpedia page, which is a pleasant surprise :)

Softpedia Link (http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/Spri-Linux-Live-50550.shtml)

#11u-max
September 7th, 2009, 04:18 PM
i cited some refrences, the website is not working, wtf?

BslBryan
September 8th, 2009, 03:38 AM
The wikipedia hyperlink is incorrect. It links to wikipedi.org. The real link should look like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spri

jaxxstorm
September 8th, 2009, 08:27 PM
The wikipedia hyperlink is incorrect. It links to wikipedi.org. The real link should look like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spri

Hi bryan, thanks for pointing it out, should be fixed now!

jaxxstorm
September 8th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Spri Beta Two Point One is now available

See the release post here (http://sprilinux.com/?q=node/37)

Download it from here (http://sprilinux.com/?q=node/34&path=/beta)

#11u-max
September 9th, 2009, 01:29 AM
is there anymore artwork to be desired?

BslBryan
September 9th, 2009, 05:42 AM
More wallpapers, as promised.

#11u-max
September 10th, 2009, 11:04 PM
is anything else needed? artwork, testing, wiki additions?

#11u-max
September 11th, 2009, 11:42 PM
easter-egg idea, if you can, set an alias in the terminal when anyone enters "beatles" or "beetles" come together by the beatles starts to play!

CJ Master
September 12th, 2009, 12:09 AM
More wallpapers, as promised.

Second/Third one is beautiful.

BslBryan
September 12th, 2009, 03:36 AM
easter-egg idea, if you can, set an alias in the terminal when anyone enters "beatles" or "beetles" come together by the beatles starts to play!

What would be the point? I like the Beatles, but I don't really see how that fits in.

Second/Third one is beautiful.

Thanks! :-)

#11u-max
September 13th, 2009, 12:54 AM
What would be the point? I like the Beatles, but I don't really see how that fits in.

come together, develop, help Spri Linux grow!!!

markp1989
November 3rd, 2009, 10:01 PM
i dont know if this thread is still used, but i thought you would like to know that i have been reading good things about spri on eeeuser.com

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=78352

bryncoles
April 8th, 2010, 11:28 AM
At the risk of Necromancing, I finally had the chance to check out Spri (Beta 2 I think) and I'm very very impressed so far! I haven't played with it much yet, but it seems capable and light-weight. I'll be keeping an eye on it!

Good work!