PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] uninstall ubuntu

uninstall
August 11th, 2009, 12:31 AM
i tried to find a thread on this, but they're all for dual boot systems. i switched from vista to ubuntu only, but now i want to go back. simply booting from the vista recovery dvd's doesn't work. my XP cd wont install either. it seems they dont find a partition? i'm no computer expert...

if there is a thread for this and i didn't find it, i apologize in advance. thanks!

faizan_comsian
August 11th, 2009, 01:41 AM
i think u put window 2000 cd in and boot through it....and after going into instalation...just delete this ubuntu partition and after that just come out...and the put vista in...i think it will boot ur vista now

uninstall
August 11th, 2009, 03:46 PM
thanks for the info, but it did not work. going into 2000 setup i get:

INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

then no more install. it still seems to boot into ubuntu without trouble.

Sef
August 11th, 2009, 04:00 PM
simply booting from the vista recovery dvd's doesn't work.

thanks for the info, but it did not work. going into 2000 setup i get:

INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

then no more install. it still seems to boot into ubuntu without trouble.

Windows is looking for the Windows boot device: NTLOADER. Because it is a recovery disk, it needs to find NTLOADER or NTKERNEL. Since it cannot, it gives you that message.

uninstall
August 11th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Windows is looking for the Windows boot device: NTLOADER. Because it is a recovery disk, it needs to find NTLOADER or NTKERNEL. Since it cannot, it gives you that message.

so why does the XP installation (not recovery) disk not work?

from command prompt "sudo fdisk -l" it appears there is no FAT or NTFS partition, only Linux? how do i get set up?

phillw
August 11th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Sadly, XP has problems't doing a clean install - i recall this from many a time of grief with it.

My simple work round was to put on 98SE .... If you don't have a copy to hand, then this tutorial should work for you.

http://lifehacker.com/157578/geek-to-live--how-to-format-your-hard-drive-and-install-windows-xp-from-scratch

regards,

Phill.

P.S. (you could always put XP on as well ubunt)u .. so you can still play with ubuntu. the instructions for doing that can be found here ....

http://apcmag.com/howto_search.htm?q=Keyword&catid=198

Choose the XP after Linux method.

raymondh
August 11th, 2009, 05:51 PM
i tried to find a thread on this, but they're all for dual boot systems. i switched from vista to ubuntu only, but now i want to go back. simply booting from the vista recovery dvd's doesn't work. my XP cd wont install either. it seems they dont find a partition? i'm no computer expert...

if there is a thread for this and i didn't find it, i apologize in advance. thanks!

Quick thoughts/questions....

1. When you went solely Ubuntu, did you erase (as well) the recovery partition for Vista?
2. The XP CD ... is it a recovery CD or an original installation disc?
3. Can you load/boot the ubuntu liveCD, access gparted and post back a screenshot of what it (gparted) outputs?

uninstall
August 11th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Quick thoughts/questions....

1. When you went solely Ubuntu, did you erase (as well) the recovery partition for Vista??
yes

2. The XP CD ... is it a recovery CD or an original installation disc??
XP original installation cd

3. Can you load/boot the ubuntu liveCD, access gparted and post back a screenshot of what it (gparted) outputs?

i put in the ubuntu CD and reinstalled manually setting up a fat32 partition, then tried windows, but this did not work either.

i have screenshot (below)

uninstall
August 11th, 2009, 06:36 PM
attached