PDA

View Full Version : Why hide behind an avatar and pseudonym in a friendly forum like this?

Macchi
August 10th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Hello everybody! Here is a subject that probably is quite controversial:

What is the point of hiding behind an avatar and a pseudonym in a friendly forum around Ubuntu?

This is a classic dilemma: on one side the individual may hide completely behind an abstract image, a non-existing name, fake opinions, and fake attitudes.

On the opposite side we may have the courage and integrity to show who we are, having a real picture, presenting our real names, and keeping a honest attitude and presence in the forum.

What do you think about it?

Post Monkeh
August 10th, 2009, 09:02 PM
i don't

RiceMonster
August 10th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Yeah I know, I prefer to use my real name and picture.

PartisanEntity
August 10th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I think in the age of Google, Facebook and others, I don't want all kinds of information about me to end up on the net. I would prefer to control what kind of information about me is made public.

Data mining is an evil thing.

swoll1980
August 10th, 2009, 09:07 PM
oops

swoll1980
August 10th, 2009, 09:12 PM
On the opposite side we may have the courage and integrity to show who we are, having a real picture, presenting our real names, and keeping a honest attitude and presence in the forum.

Or you could have a real pic, and name, and fake opinions, and attitude.

Or you could have a fake pic, and name, and real opinion, and attitude.

Or you could have a fake pic, and name, fake attitude, and opinions, and pretend they are real.

It's the Internet. How do we know if that's your real pic, and name, or if you really care? Who's hiding? I don't think my name, and appearance are relevant here.

oedipuss
August 10th, 2009, 09:12 PM
This is a classic dilemma: on one side the individual may hide completely behind an abstract image, a non-existing name, fake opinions, and fake attitudes.

The way you grouped the attributes of each side is kind of biased.
Why assume that an abstract image and a nickname equal fake opinions and attitudes? The way a person talks and the opinions they have can be honest or dishonest either way. I think it doesn't make that much of a difference really.

Tristam Green
August 10th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Considering that for, at least myself, my online persona is a wholly different person than my "real" persona, although with the same belief structure and opinions, I'll keep my name of Tristam Green and go on the rest of my days conducting my online business as such.

cmay
August 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM

What is the point of hiding behind an avatar and a pseudonym in a friendly forum around Ubuntu?

if all people where good then it would be no problem to use ones own name and a picture of one self. but not all people are good.

one thing i do not like about the internet and how it is being used already is that if you apply for a job and the one who is going to hire you decide to do a google search on you and as a simple example find a discussion in a forum which is political or in any other way reveals things that he /she dont like as a person then it has something to say if you get the job or not.

Erik Trybom
August 10th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I reasoned like you and chose my real name as user name for this forum. My profile shows up during a google search, but that's about it. I don't know that many people who use Ubuntu anyway, so the chance of getting recognized here is pretty slim.

I can't say I've changed my behaviour much compared to other forums where I'm anonymous. I haven't yet refrained from posting something here out of fear that I would have to stand by it in person, but then again this is a pretty innocent forum. If I was to discuss politics or religion or other more controversial matters I'd prefer to do it anonymously. What's disturbing is that whatever you post on the Internet likely stays there for a very long time, easily accessible and searchable by anyone who has a computer. You have to think about what future employers or customers or other snoopers could find out about you. I've read a lot of my posts from a few years back on different forums and they're not always something that I'm proud of. It's not that I was a former nazi or anything but sometimes I was being unpleasant or rude and sometimes just plain wrong. In those cases, having made those posts under a pseudonym feels good.

I think posting under your real name carries significance if you're known within the community under your real name (for instance if Mark Shuttleworth would post here). If you're not known, using your real name is really not that different from using a pseudonym. I have no trouble at all with pseudonyms and I use them myself at the vast majority of the forums I visit.

ultimatebuster
August 10th, 2009, 09:36 PM
The reason why I "hide" behind an avatar and not use my real name is because of this phenomenon called the Internet. :)

Firestem4
August 10th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I think in the age of Google, Facebook and others, I don't want all kinds of information about me to end up on the net. I would prefer to control what kind of information about me is made public.

I happen to agree with this fully. if you use a common username (like many of us do) You'll see that if you google your username, quite a few results will show up. This may or may not be a bad thing. It just depends how paranoid you are :lolflag:.

But in all seriousness, I use my username so I don't have real-life information about me available on the internet that people can use, mine, or do whatever with. I have a very strong position on my identity being mine.

chessnerd
August 10th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Well, I could use my real name and put up a real picture, but while I would trust most of the people here, this is a public forum. Anyone, be them computer nerd or creeper, can look at this site. I'd prefer to keep a slight air of anonymity. Not only does it make sure that I'm not putting out personal information, it also makes me a bit mysterious... :cool:

The opinions stated by me are all really my opinions and I am from Michigan as my description states, but my name is not Chessnerd and I won't give it out on the Internet willy-nilly as identity theft and Internet predators are a very real threat. In fact, I think it is dangerous to encourage others to do so. If you feel comfortable putting yourself out in the open, by all means, do so, but don't make it sound like others are being dishonest for being cautious.

HappinessNow
August 10th, 2009, 09:51 PM

How will we ever know this is really you?

http://ubuntuforums.org/customavatars/avatar70700_4.gif

lisati
August 10th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Wojox's contribution to this thread (reported as spam) is exactly why some people prefer a degree of anonymity: we don't know who will be coming by. Even the forums have been scanned by data miners: there is evidence in my junk email folder that some rascals have discovered the email address that I have associated with Launchpad and the forums but nowhere else (at least not that I remember).

By the way, in my profile, there is a real photo of me (taken in 1971) and a more recent real picture of Mrs Lisati with someone famous.

wojox
August 10th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Where's my post. I was proving a point. That's not spam.

Sxeptomaniac
August 10th, 2009, 10:06 PM

You are assuming a purpose to pseudonyms that is not always the case. Your further conclusions based on that premise are therefore flawed.

As others have pointed out, not all are hiding from fellow forum members, but rather prefer to avoid aggregating too much information about themselves on Google and other search engines.

Myself, I use a pseudonym because it decreases my anonymity. My real name is shared by many people, some rather high-profile and showing up in searches involving my geographic region. As a result, my real name reveals very little about me.

Hopefully you can see how the use of pseudonyms does not necessarily indicate an attempt to deceive, or even an unwillingness to share information about oneself. It's a choice that can be made for any number of reasons.

True, but it comes across as a rather hostile way to go about making a point, so I can see why it would be removed.

Bodsda
August 10th, 2009, 10:10 PM

Big Brother is always watching, why would I want to give him my name and picture?

I try to be as hidden from my real life as possible, but my morales, attitude, opinions are all real.

lisati
August 10th, 2009, 10:16 PM

Sorry about that, clicking on "report" was from force of habit, having seen several similar posts over the last couple of years which were real spam.

JillSwift
August 10th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Dividing the issue into polar "sides", calling one side courageous and suggesting by omission that the other side is cowardly, specifically claiming the subject may be controversial, then failing to post anything more to defend his very artificial point...

Was the original post made from under a bridge?

Irihapeti
August 10th, 2009, 10:25 PM
These forums may be friendly, but other people reading them may not be so.

Actually, my avatar as of today is a real picture of me. It just happens to be 50 something years out of date. :)

Delever
August 10th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Why would you want my hard-to-pronounce real name and one more face instead of super-cool-plush-firefox avatar?

wojox
August 10th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Sorry about that, clicking on "report" was from force of habit, having seen several similar posts over the last couple of years which were real spam.

It's alright I understand.

LunaticHiatus
August 10th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I would prefer to be even more anonymous then this.

Then again, I usually visit a forum where every post is rendered as anonymous :p

Delever
August 10th, 2009, 10:35 PM

Well, the problem is, that most people in real life, once in public, also don't show "who they are", hide behind abstract face, have fake opinions and fake attitudes. I would argue that with real face as avatar people would be more boring and less honest when talking about themselves.

sdlynx
August 10th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I choose to hide my identity and such because, hey, you can see who is on Ubuntu Forums from google, which means everybody has access to who I am. I like to remain anonymous, as it keeps me out of getting connected to anything that happens on the web.

geoken
August 10th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I think you're ignoring the fact that a user name and avatar say a lot more about a person than their name and face. What does the name my parents chose for me and the surname they inherited say about my opinions? What does my face say about my beliefs?

starcannon
August 10th, 2009, 10:45 PM
You use an avatar and name you like, if you like the avatar and name you were born with, excellent. If you prefer to keep that private, excellent as well. No bravery involved in either decision, only personal preference.

racerraul
August 10th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I don't know what you are talking about... that is really me in my avatar.

NovaAesa
August 10th, 2009, 10:53 PM
My avatar is a picture of me, but my name will remain a secret! Nah, my name is Peter, everyone knows that :P

chucky chuckaluck
August 10th, 2009, 11:10 PM
that's me in the av and 'chucky' is just short for chuck.

gnomeuser
August 10th, 2009, 11:22 PM
My name is David, I would use my full name as my username but when I registered I suspect it was unavailable. It's not hard to figure out who I am, I like it like that when I debate technical matters - I feel it adds credibility to not hide behind a veil of secrecy when I don't need to.

The avatar is a picture of me, a bit old, from my visit to the US back in 2005 back when I was slim and perfectly shaped by daily exercise.

Tipped OuT
August 11th, 2009, 01:07 AM
I will never use my real name and picture for privacy, and security reasons.

But I do act like myself. There's no real point not acting like yourself, since you're "hiding behind an avatar and fake name".

dragos240
August 11th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Yeah I know, I prefer to use my real name and picture.

So you're kanata?

geekygirl
August 11th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Now my avatar does actually look like me (and I do know of at least one person on here that can confirm that :p)

My real face is on my profile page..

My name is Andrea (a little bit of reading in my blog link will tell you that :P)

Also I have more images and things on my Flickr link :p

I get called 'geekygirl' at work and its my COD4 clan tag :p

and my avatar/photo is not one of the 'Facebook/MySpace' girl photo crops either!!!

hiding? who's hiding...what I type in here is what I am thinking...some people out there on the internet know that though :P

schauerlich
August 11th, 2009, 01:16 AM
There is enough information on this board to find out my real name. That's good enough for me.

XubuRoxMySox
August 11th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I like the clever usernames that tell me a little about the person. "Dixiedancer," for example, is a reference to my hobby and obsession with clogdancing (percussive dance, related to Tap... think "Hillbilly Riverdance" and that's just about it). Many usernames and avatars on here are quite imaginative and tell more about a person than a name and a picture.

My avatar is a pencil portrait of me... and in every user's profile there is a place for those who want to to put up a photo album, web site, and other info as well.

But it's not "hiding," it's a way of expressing something besides plain ol' ordinary name and face.

-Robin

Arup
August 11th, 2009, 02:29 AM
My name is Arup, the pic is of someone whom I treasure, she is the girl of the family, don't want to scare you off with my ugly self potrait.

steveneddy
August 11th, 2009, 02:35 AM

I agree.

I am a very private person after being a very public person in the past.

I personally prefer to remain anonymous while on the web and while on various forums.

I like for my family to remain private also and my daughters have followed my lead in keeping themselves and the family private.

Besides, it's none of anyone's business what we look like if we choose not to tell you or show you.

Being anonymous also does not let the other posters prejudge anyone here. We are all just a cool name and interesting avatar that represents our digital selves.

Greg
August 11th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Why should anyone choose to void their privacy? Welcome to the internet, a place where anyone can be anything they want. And since anone can be anything, everyone is nothing to start out with. We're all equal- we don't have color or religion or gender or height or weight or age or any other superficial aspects to judge by. No, we must instead judge by how you act. Here, an intelligent child can converse with adults, and not be known to be anything other than what they are- an intelligent human being. Here, racism can't touch people (at least not targeted) because who knows who is who? Why void the wonderful privacy we have?

starcraft.man
August 11th, 2009, 02:59 AM
I don't consider it hiding so much as simply not disclosing, in the same way i'd carry a conversation with someone at a terminal without telling them my address and info. I suppose the reason is in fact same paranoia that keeps me from myspace and facebook, privacy, or the lack there of on the internet. To add, it'd have to be taken on face, since I don't think i've any corroboration on these forums from rl.

A side note, I suppose I've already disclosed my real identity on an affiliated source, the resourceful could find it out. I think starcraft.man has a nice mystique to it though, makes me happy so I keep it.

gletob
August 11th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I like the mystery...

Nevon
August 11th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I tend to use my real name and picture for things like my Launchpad/SourceForge/Github accounts, my blog, Digg and StumbleUpon. But for discussion forums I prefer to use a pseudonym, simply because I sometimes reveal things about me that I do not want accessible to anyone who knows how to use google. I accidentally did once, and it didn't end well.

aesis05401
August 11th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Posting human looking photos and plausible names just gives a false sense of security to the noobs.

Barrucadu
August 11th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I've used this name for years, so it is my name. One of them, anyway. The picture is a picture of me.

So I'm not hiding at all.

mrgnash
August 11th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I'm not hiding. Maris is just a lot prettier than I am, so I'm doing everyone a favor.

aesis05401
August 11th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I've used this name for years, so it is my name. One of them, anyway. The picture is a picture of me.

So I'm not hiding at all.

Ha, I can track you down in no time flat with zero additional info.. Now lets see, you are from East Yorkshire - is that near the pudding?

More seriously, why even put a picture of yourself up? What good can come of it? Not much I think.

Barrucadu
August 11th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Ha, I can track you down in no time flat with zero additional info.. Now lets see, you are from East Yorkshire - is that near the pudding?

And googling will get you my website, and profiles on a load of websites. I don't hide my identity online, if I wanted to do that I'd share minimal information and use a different name everywhere I go :P

niteshifter
August 11th, 2009, 10:23 AM
... This is a classic false dilemma: ....

There, fixed that for you.

You gave your name, and a picture of you. That's nice.

Why should I trust you?

starcannon
August 11th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Why should anyone choose to void their privacy? Welcome to the internet, a place where anyone can be anything they want. And since anone can be anything, everyone is nothing to start out with. We're all equal- we don't have color or religion or gender or height or weight or age or any other superficial aspects to judge by. No, we must instead judge by how you act. Here, an intelligent child can converse with adults, and not be known to be anything other than what they are- an intelligent human being. Here, racism can't touch people (at least not targeted) because who knows who is who? Why void the wonderful privacy we have?
^^
This. +∞

lisati
August 11th, 2009, 10:30 AM
There's enough information scattered through the forums and associated with my profile for people who are in the know to be able to identify me......

Fzang
August 11th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Why should I show my face on the Internet if you still cannot see me, hear me, touch me or even smell me (you wouldn't want to do that anyways..)?

Fzang is me on the Internet. I am not the same person as I am in real life. I do not acquire actual "friends" on the Internet, and they do not become actual "friends" with me if they add me to some list. I am simply keeping a safe distance by hiding behind my avatar.

For everyone's sake, I'm Fzang.

(and I love my sexy avatar)

koshatnik
August 11th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I actually look like this in real life.