PDA

View Full Version : Writing main loops

JustAnotherVagueAnon
August 10th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I want to write a main loop that is able to idle such as glutMainLoop() from OpenGL and various others. I want this loop to wait for input rather than entering a plain old infinite loop. I have an idea this may have to do with threading, a topic I am not yet knowledgeable of, so I am looking for a step in the right direction and I would like to write this in C.

dwhitney67
August 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM
It depends on what type of input you are looking at; if it is merely standard-input, or input from a socket, then a select() or poll() can be used. There's also pselect() and ppoll().

For obtaining X (ie mouse) events, you will need to reference the toolkit that you are using, for this varies from one to the next. Conceptually, though, the same principles apply.

P.S. Multi-threading is a different topic altogether. Single-threaded apps can use the polling ideas given above.

lisati
August 10th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I was taught that an infinite loop is a bad idea, and that you should give some thought to the circumstances in which the loop should stop.

dwhitney67
August 10th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I was taught that an infinite loop is a bad idea, and that you should give some thought to the circumstances in which the loop should stop.

Good advice.

A friend from long ago, who at the time worked for a well-known Silicon Valley company (the name has the letters H and P in it), had a manager that stated that the company wants to ensure that it delivers software without any bugs.

Now, for those in the s/w industry and with a cynical mind would reply "No sh*t sherlock".

I guess the same could be said about your mentor.

JustAnotherVagueAnon
August 10th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks both. ppoll seems to be just what I was looking for. Just out of curiosity, what does the code for these functions look like? I couldn't locate the source but I'm interested in knowing what concepts are used in the functions that allow the computer to be able to idle like that.

stroyan
August 11th, 2009, 12:55 AM
That function call is implemented in libc as a system call.
The process tells the kernel to no longer schedule it to run until some condition occurs.
You can read about the kernel scheduling implementation at
http://oreilly.com/catalog/linuxkernel/chapter/ch10.html

(But the scheduler has been overhauled since then. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Completely_Fair_Scheduler for the latest version.)