PDA

View Full Version : Where do I post this thread...

erechm
August 10th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I want to post the following, but not sure which forum is appropriate? Is there a Suggestion forum?
__________________________________________________ _

A few things to take from Windows 7 & Windows Home Server...

First let me say, I consider myself just an average computer user that enjoys trying out new Distros. I like things to "just work" graphically and I don't have any desire to learn all the command line stuff. Also, I've been a huge Linux and Ubuntu/Mint fan and user for a few years now and I really appreciate all the hard work from the Linux community.

Recently I decided to try out the Windows 7 release candidate along with a free trial of Windows Home Server, and I have to say, I'm impressed. Linux had passed up Windows XP years ago and of course Vista was a disaster. But Windows 7 has put Microsoft back in the game. And combined with Windows Home Server it makes a very easy and powerful network setup for average user like me.

I installed the Windows Home Server on an old computer and then Windows 7 on two other computers, one of which has a TV card. I setup the computer with the TV card to record to Windows Media Center. The networking among the computers was automatic and I then setup the Homegoup so I could share among the computers. I also setup the Server to Auto backup the other computers each night. Then I setup Windows Media Center to automatically backup recorded media to the Server Shared folders which can then be access by the other computers. I have to say the whole networked system was easy to setup and it "just works".

For obvious reasons, I will not be switching permanently to Windows, so I started thinking about how I could do this same setup in Linux. Unfortunately, based on passed experience with a few linux servers and some light Google research, I don't think there is a good solution out there yet. Which brings me (the long way) to my suggestions for Ubuntu:

1) I'd like to see Ubuntu include a DVR media type program (such as MythTV) as a default program. It should be auto-configured during installation the same way that Windows Media Center works in Windows 7.

2) I'd love a Ubuntu Home Server that just does the basics of Backup and Sharing files with an extremely basic and easy graphic interface. It should be integrated to work seemlessly with Ubuntu desktop and should be VERY EASY to setup and use. So easy that my Dad could do it.

Comments?

erechm
August 10th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I want to post the following, but not sure which forum is appropriate? Is there a Suggestion forum?
__________________________________________________ _

A few things to take from Windows 7 & Windows Home Server...

First let me say, I consider myself just an average computer user that enjoys trying out new Distros. I like things to "just work" graphically and I don't have any desire to learn all the command line stuff. Also, I've been a huge Linux and Ubuntu/Mint fan and user for a few years now and I really appreciate all the hard work from the Linux community.

Recently I decided to try out the Windows 7 release candidate along with a free trial of Windows Home Server, and I have to say, I'm impressed. Linux had passed up Windows XP years ago and of course Vista was a disaster. But Windows 7 has put Microsoft back in the game. And combined with Windows Home Server it makes a very easy and powerful network setup for average user like me.

I installed the Windows Home Server on an old computer and then Windows 7 on two other computers, one of which has a TV card. I setup the computer with the TV card to record to Windows Media Center. The networking among the computers was automatic and I then setup the Homegoup so I could share among the computers. I also setup the Server to Auto backup the other computers each night. Then I setup Windows Media Center to automatically backup recorded media to the Server Shared folders which can then be access by the other computers. I have to say the whole networked system was easy to setup and it "just works".

For obvious reasons, I will not be switching permanently to Windows, so I started thinking about how I could do this same setup in Linux. Unfortunately, based on passed experience with a few linux servers and some light Google research, I don't think there is a good solution out there yet. Which brings me (the long way) to my suggestions for Ubuntu:

1) I'd like to see Ubuntu include a DVR media type program (such as MythTV) as a default program. It should be auto-configured during installation the same way that Windows Media Center works in Windows 7.

2) I'd love a Ubuntu Home Server that just does the basics of Backup and Sharing files with an extremely basic and easy graphic interface. It should be integrated to work seemlessly with Ubuntu desktop and should be VERY EASY to setup and use. So easy that my Dad could do it.

Comments?

The Real Dave
August 10th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I think one of the attractions of MS OS's has always been that they usually just work with your hardware, provided the right drivers are available. This is of course due to the fact that most computers are built to cater for these OS's. Should computers be built specifically for Linux, there would be a much higher probability of things "just working" for you.

I also tried out W7, and just because it was on offer, the trial of Home Server. I liked both, and their attraction to the average computer user is obvious, you don't want to have to muck around with CLI, when you've a nice GUI, and enabling services is just a matter of ticking a box. Its less daunting then CLI.

I'm not suprised that you didn't find anything. Right now, there isn't much as far as I know. And the reason for that I believe is behind the type of people who build Linux servers. These people generally want to be able to have full control of their system, and with lower system resource requirements, better performance and security. These are the kind of people who won't mind, maybe even prefer using CLI.

I would be kinda like you in a way, I like it when things just work together. Makes life easier. I made a home server, and, not wanting Windows on it, but wanting an non-CLI setup, I chose FreeNAS. Not perfect, but a great little OS, google it, admined through a web interface. I've had very little problems with it, and both of my servers run it.

I think though, that it won't be very long before we do see a distro designed specifically for use as a home server, Ubuntu Home Server or the like. The demand for such a distro has definitely increased.

I will say though, that its best to be open minded about the terminal. I would never remember half the commands I've used, but some Googling almost always finds a helpful guide on whatever it is you need, along with all the commands. After practice, it gets easier, and things just kinda make more sense. Having a GUI is great, but when you could do it from CLI, its un-necessary. Just find the correct commands. I usually print off the how-to's I've used to keep a record of them, just in-case I need them again. The terminal is probably the most powerful part of a linux OS.

Rackstar
August 10th, 2009, 09:35 PM
1) Don't agree, it's a waste of precious CD-space.

2) Agree

overdrank
August 10th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Threads merged :)

erechm
August 10th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Threads merged :)

Thanks! :) Couldn't figure out how to do that.

erechm
August 10th, 2009, 10:06 PM
1) Don't agree, it's a waste of precious CD-space.

2) Agree

DVDs are almost as cheap as CDs now. I don't even buy CDs anymore. Plus they could just keep a lite version for older computers and netbooks. After using Windows 7 with Media Center built in, I think Windows has raised the bar. As evil as Microsoft is, they do have some good ideas sometimes.

erechm
August 10th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I think one of the attractions of MS OS's has always been that they usually just work with your hardware, provided the right drivers are available. This is of course due to the fact that most computers are built to cater for these OS's. Should computers be built specifically for Linux, there would be a much higher probability of things "just working" for you.

I also tried out W7, and just because it was on offer, the trial of Home Server. I liked both, and their attraction to the average computer user is obvious, you don't want to have to muck around with CLI, when you've a nice GUI, and enabling services is just a matter of ticking a box. Its less daunting then CLI.

I'm not suprised that you didn't find anything. Right now, there isn't much as far as I know. And the reason for that I believe is behind the type of people who build Linux servers. These people generally want to be able to have full control of their system, and with lower system resource requirements, better performance and security. These are the kind of people who won't mind, maybe even prefer using CLI.

I would be kinda like you in a way, I like it when things just work together. Makes life easier. I made a home server, and, not wanting Windows on it, but wanting an non-CLI setup, I chose FreeNAS. Not perfect, but a great little OS, google it, admined through a web interface. I've had very little problems with it, and both of my servers run it.

I think though, that it won't be very long before we do see a distro designed specifically for use as a home server, Ubuntu Home Server or the like. The demand for such a distro has definitely increased.

I will say though, that its best to be open minded about the terminal. I would never remember half the commands I've used, but some Googling almost always finds a helpful guide on whatever it is you need, along with all the commands. After practice, it gets easier, and things just kinda make more sense. Having a GUI is great, but when you could do it from CLI, its un-necessary. Just find the correct commands. I usually print off the how-to's I've used to keep a record of them, just in-case I need them again. The terminal is probably the most powerful part of a linux OS.

I'm with you on FreeNAS. I liked it too, but I want something I can recommend to my Dad and my brother for their homes. Right now the only thing they could handle is Windows Home Server. It might not have many tools or flexiblitly, but it is very easy for the average joe.