PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Help with Extending Kubuntu partition

BigCityCat
August 10th, 2009, 07:54 PM
When I installed Kubuntu I only used 32 gigs. Afterwards I decided I wanted to use more. So I went into windows and shrank the windows partition, so I have 86 gigs of unallocated space. Windows will not allow me to extend the Linux partition as far as I can tell. I checked to install Parted in Kubuntu but it's already there. I just don't know where it is or how to use it. I have Kubuntu and Windows Seven Rc installed. I want to use the unallocated space for Kubuntu.If someone could help it would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Elfy
August 10th, 2009, 08:00 PM
You will have to do the resizing with a livecd - either your kubuntu one or a partition editor such as PartedMagic.

Once you have the editor open you will likely need to turn off swap - depends on how your partitions are laid out - a default install will cretae an extended with swap and / partitions.

To get the unallocated space you will need to resize the extended first and then move the unallocated or / so that they are contiguous.

If however you installed inside windows with wubi then you can look here - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#How do I resize the virtual disks?

BigCityCat
August 10th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Ok I think I see what you are saying. I have the Kubuntu cd. So your saying boot with that and do it that way.

My partitions actually are out of order. By that I mean it goes Kubuntu, I guess the boot partition, Windows and the unallocated. So if that is going to be too difficult I could just extend over windows and use the entire disc.

BigCityCat
August 10th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I think I am just going to extend over the windows partition. My only concern is that I paid 50 dollars for a pre order of win7 so will I be able to resize Kubuntu in the future and install win 7 or should I call them and cancel my order? Because I do not want to lose this Kubuntu install. I had help setting up the wireless. I don't think I can set it up myself again and I REALLY LIKE KDE 4.3.

Elfy
August 10th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Don;t overwrite windows if you don;t want to ;)

Run this command from a terminal and paste the output here - should be able to see what needs to be done from that.

sudo fdisk -l

BigCityCat
August 10th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks, cause I put the disc in and I didn't see any thing to partition with.

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x99972ac3

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 4179 33567786 5 Extended
/dev/sda2 * 4180 19115 119967744 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda5 1 4001 32137969+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 4002 4179 1429753+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

BigCityCat
August 10th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Well parted magic wont let me move or extend the kubuntu partition. Was waiting for you to come back, or someone else.

zkriesse
August 10th, 2009, 11:45 PM
To use the Live Cd to do what you want to accomplish you probably have to re-install the cd...then it should give you the partition option....I personally use Ubuntu so it might be a little different but I think it should work. Let me know.

merlinus
August 11th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Linux is in a logical partition within an extended one, and windows is in a primary. Therefore the 86G of space you freed by shrinking windows resides in what is/was a primary partition.

So you will first have to grow the extended to encompass that space, and then add it to linux.

Elfy
August 11th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Turn the swap off -
sudo swapoff -a

You won;t be able to do anything to the extended with swap on.

BigCityCat
August 11th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks Guys. I screwed it up with Gparted so I said the hell with it and reinstalled Kubuntu over the entire disc. I want to just use KDE from now on. No more windows, but my wireless is now back to square one. I need to see if I can get Chili to help me with that again. It had something to do with adding a WL to the end of a file and changing how KDE is looking at fb4 or something like that. It's broadcom and it can work. I know that much. Right now it sees no wireless at all. Do you guys know where a tutorial or something that can help me with this? Thanks