PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to C++, help?

KinaU
August 10th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I'll be learning C++ this year and I decided to look into it before the course, so...

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/program_structure/

Where do I input the code? Is there some program I should use or should I use the text editor?

Please help. I'm beginning to feel stupid. :(

Edit: I tried KDevelop, saved the file to Desktop and opened it, and I'm getting text editor. Therefore I can use text editor as well?

.Maleficus.
August 10th, 2009, 07:48 PM
You can use either. To actually build the program, you need the "build-essential" package though (KDevelop might have it as a dependency, I don't know).

sudo apt-get install build-essential
And then compile from within KDevelop or the terminal.

KinaU
August 10th, 2009, 07:57 PM
You can use either. To actually build the program, you need the "build-essential" package though (KDevelop might have it as a dependency, I don't know).

sudo apt-get install build-essentialAnd then compile from within KDevelop or the terminal.

I got build-essential, but how do I use it? Where is it? :confused:

unknownPoster
August 10th, 2009, 08:03 PM
All of your questions are answered in the stickies:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1006666

gtr32
August 10th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I would recommend to install Code::Blocks:

sudo apt-get install codeblocks

Then create a new project:

File -> New -> Project -> Console application

Build it:

Build -> Build

Run:

Build -> Run

You should now see a console pop up with "Hello World!" output.

KinaU
August 10th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I would recommend to install Code::Blocks:

sudo apt-get install codeblocks

Then create a new project:

File -> New -> Project -> Console application

Build it:

Build -> Build

Run:

Build -> Run

You should now see a console pop up with "Hello World!" output.

This is great, thank you so much! :D

jamescox84
August 10th, 2009, 08:34 PM
The way I do it, but then it's not for everyone...

Write code using a text editor. I use gedit

Compile code from terminal.

g++ my_first_source.cc my_second_source.cc -o my_executable

This is an exmaple of compiling a very simple program. I'd make a makefile for anything over three files.

Run from terminal.

./my_executable

Make sure:

cd /path/to/my/source/files

nvteighen
August 10th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Hm... I would recommend you first learn by using a text editor and manually compile your code first using the command line and then, using Makefiles. Sadly, C and C++ need you to know how the compiling process is divided in order to get them right. An IDE will hide that, but for example it's a crucial part on C and C++ programming when stuff is linked.

After that, IDEs will be very useful for you. They'll automate the awful compilation details, but, if the automation doesn't suit you, you'll have the knowledge to adapt it to your needs.

stevescripts
August 11th, 2009, 03:40 PM
One more voice for first learning to code with a text editor and build from the command line ...

Steve

gtr32
August 11th, 2009, 05:51 PM
One more voice for first learning to code with a text editor and build from the command line ...

Eventually, yes, but for the reasons he described in his original post I'd say he is fine with an IDE right now.