PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu needs to restart....

pizza-is-good
August 10th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hello all, here is my question:

Has any of you using jaunty noticed that often after updates, ubuntu tells you you need to restart?
I update about once a week, and it seems like almost every time I do ubuntu needs to restart.

When using 8.10, the only time I had to reboot was when I upgraded to 9.04.:lolflag:

I started using Ubuntu partly because its advertized 'no need to randomly reboot like windows'. I mean, it is not that I have to reboot every time I add a program or something, but it is getting a bit annoying.

Any comments?

I like jaunty better than intrepid, but this sure isn't making me happy.

Anyone testing Karmic know if this is going to be fixed?

Revolutionary101
August 10th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I doubt that this will be fixed because most of the community doesn't see it as a problem. Some of the updates need the computer restarted to take effect. It is just that some versions of Ubuntu have more updates that need restarts.

sydbat
August 10th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Generally, it is only kernel updates that require a restart. What updates are you getting that ask for a restart?

pizza-is-good
August 10th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I doubt that this will be fixed because most of the community doesn't see it as a problem. Some of the updates need the computer restarted to take effect. It is just that some versions of Ubuntu have more updates that need restarts.

Re-booting is not a problem for me, since it only takes a few minutes, but it is the actual fact that I have to reboot. How sad

Generally, it is only kernel updates that require a restart. What updates are you getting that ask for a restart?

That's probably it, which is a bummer for me, since my grub does not automatically update the kernels....:(

Maheriano
August 10th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Ya, it's only the kernel updates that cause reboots, and Firefox updates that require Firefox restarts (annoying a hell). There are ways to refresh the kernel without restarting your system.

pizza-is-good
August 10th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Ya, it's only the kernel updates that cause reboots, and Firefox updates that require Firefox restarts (annoying a hell). There are ways to refresh the kernel without restarting your system.

Yeah, its one of the few drawbacks of Firefox. VERY ANNOYING.

y-lee
August 10th, 2009, 04:57 PM

You could try Ksplice (http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack/) if it really matters to you.

Ksplice Uptrack is a new service that lets you effortlessly keep your systems up to date and secure, without rebooting.

Also you may consider voting for it on brainstorm.ubuntu.com (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/7523/).

Note: i have not used this software so can not vouch for how well it works.

swoll1980
August 10th, 2009, 07:29 PM
It doesn't force a restart like Windows. You can simply hit "not now" and it will leave you alone. The update won't take effect until the reboot, but so what. If the update is that important to you, you will reboot, and stop complaining about it, or wait until your going to reboot on your own time.

Tipped OuT
August 10th, 2009, 07:36 PM
it doesn't force a restart like windows. You can simply hit "not now" and it will leave you alone. The update won't take effect until the reboot, but so what. If the update is that important to you, you will reboot, and stop complaining about it, or wait until your going to reboot on your own time.

+1

mcduck
August 10th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Once a week? Sounds like way too often, are you perhaps using some extra repositories that might be the source for these updates?

(..and +1 for not having to reboot after updates, only when you want to start using the updated kernel/Firefox)

doorknob60
August 10th, 2009, 07:43 PM
It doesn't force a restart like Windows. You can simply hit "not now" and it will leave you alone. The update won't take effect until the reboot, but so what. If the update is that important to you, you will reboot, and stop complaining about it, or wait until your going to reboot on your own time.

+1 It doesn't ask you again every freakin 10 minutes like Windows does, no big deal, just let the update take effect next time you happen to restart.

Tipped OuT
August 10th, 2009, 07:46 PM
+1 It doesn't ask you again every freakin 10 minutes like Windows does, no big deal, just let the update take effect next time you happen to restart.

Yeah, and Windows actually asks every 5 minutes. It won't let you do anything in peace until you do, it's annoying, agh!

Just be happy with what you got.

Schendje
August 10th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Not to turn this thread to Windows-bashing...

But I was recently notified by Vista that I had to restart. I chose to "postpose it 4 hours" and it was gone. Then, I was playing an online game 4 hours later and guess what happens. :)

Gone was my game! "What the...?" Gone was Steam! "Hey!" Gone was my desktop.. "Shutting down". I had no idea what was happening until I realized it must've been the updates thing. I wasn't happy because my team was just winning the match. :P

Bölvağur
August 10th, 2009, 08:00 PM
here is a hint:

If you dont want to restart, dont restart, you really dont need the updates that much, just let the updates take effect when you turn the computer on the next time.

And as said there are work around so you will not have to reboot or shut down the computer at all, but that is probably not something you will need.. that is more for servers that are expected to have few years in uptime and no one checking upon it every now and then.

Redache
August 10th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I have to say that I haven't noticed that many restart updates recently. It doesn't bother me anyway, I don't leave my Computer on 24/7 so It'll update when I turn it on the next day anyway.

pizza-is-good
August 10th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Not to turn this thread to Windows-bashing...

Feel free to I guess.

Anayway, to all of you that think that I was complaining, I wasn't, I was just bringing up a point and commenting about it.

I might have been a little to harsh on jaunty, sorry to all that misunderstood me.