PDA

View Full Version : If you had an infinite capacity for knowledge....

dragos240
August 10th, 2009, 02:58 PM
If you had an infinite capacity for knowledge.... What would you do with it? I would learn everything I could about everything the world knows now. I mean EVERYTHING. I would love to know that I would always be right. And I could definitely help out here more.

megamania
August 10th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I would love to know that I would always be right.
If you knew everything, you'd know you can't always be right.

Especially with your girlfriend.

lethalfang
August 10th, 2009, 03:02 PM
If you had an infinite capacity for knowledge.... What would you do with it? I would learn everything I could about everything the world knows now. I mean EVERYTHING. I would love to know that I would always be right. And I could definitely help out here more.

If you have infinite capacity, you wouldn't have to choose and decide what to do with it, would you?
Should I download this app? WTH, I have infinite hard drive capacity and infinite bandwidth, just download it.

Tristam Green
August 10th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Wouldn't take the opportunity. Even if I were to have the capacity, I wouldn't necessarily have the speed or power to comprehend it all or even sift through it all in a timely manner.

chucky chuckaluck
August 10th, 2009, 03:34 PM
i'd still limit it to stuff i cared about. it's kind of in the same vein as being able to read minds. do you really want to sift through a whole bunch of crap just to get to the good stuff? that's one of the things that makes the internet and search engines so great: you don't have to know everything just to find the stuff you're interested in.

sydbat
August 10th, 2009, 03:37 PM

Especially with your girlfriend.+ infinity * infinity +1

Excedio
August 10th, 2009, 03:45 PM

I don't know if I would want this. People may just see me as condescending since I would, probably, always be correcting them. Thus, no friends...

Plus, I love the search. There is something that I don't know, and I have to find the answer. That search for the answer gives me a lot of pleasure once it is achieved.

MasterNetra
August 10th, 2009, 07:41 PM

Why limit yourself so? Everything the world knows now? In the scheme of things the world knows very little. Plus you would also want a infinite capacity to process knowledge.

For me learning everything that Man currently knows would just be the first step. afterwards I would try to keep up to date on discoveries as I can, as well as try to figure out a better system of governing...prehaps a collective? (Not the same type of collective as the Borg mind you. For those trek fans.)

Tipped OuT
August 10th, 2009, 07:44 PM
If you knew everything, you'd know that you can never know everything.

MasterNetra
August 10th, 2009, 07:52 PM

So does that mean knowing that you can never know everything mean you do know everything?

:p :lolflag:

Tipped OuT
August 10th, 2009, 07:57 PM
So does that mean knowing that you can never know everything mean you do know everything?

:p :lolflag:

Conundrum.

swoll1980
August 10th, 2009, 09:02 PM
You do have an infinite capacity for knowledge. You just don't know how to get it working. There are savants out there who have this function of the brain operational, and it is pretty amazing. I guess everything bypasses short term memory, and goes strait to long term. They can look at a page of a book, and the entire page goes into long term memory instantaneously.

ultimatebuster
August 10th, 2009, 09:40 PM
You might want to rephrase it to infinite amount of knowledge. Many people believe that human brain has an infinite capacity for knowledge, you just don't have enough time to get that much knowledge in your brain.

chucky chuckaluck
August 10th, 2009, 10:34 PM

no offense, but i doubt you're in a position to say so, with certainty.

Tipped OuT
August 10th, 2009, 10:41 PM
no offense, but i doubt you're in a position to say so, with certainty.

Why? Because I'm 15 and I don't know anything, and you being older know all there is to know? :roll:

It was just a joke by the way.

Delever
August 10th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Wikipedia? It has capacity, and they can always add new servers.

If seriously, brain can contain a lot. I don't think any more than that would be actually useful.

chucky chuckaluck
August 10th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Why? Because I'm 15 and I don't know anything, and you being older know all there is to know? :roll:

no, because you don't know everything, so there's no way you could know that. see?

dragos240
August 10th, 2009, 11:21 PM
You do have an infinite capacity for knowledge. You just don't know how to get it working. There are savants out there who have this function of the brain operational, and it is pretty amazing. I guess everything bypasses short term memory, and goes strait to long term. They can look at a page of a book, and the entire page goes into long term memory instantaneously.

Amazing! I need to know the secret!!!:popcorn:

Tipped OuT
August 11th, 2009, 04:46 AM
no, because you don't know everything, so there's no way you could know that. see?

>.>

JillSwift
August 11th, 2009, 04:49 AM
If I had infinite capacity for knowledge, I'd lament my limited capacity for understanding. :P

moster
August 11th, 2009, 07:35 AM
If I had infinite capacity for knowledge, I'd lament my limited capacity for understanding. :P

You do not need understanding for be lets say.. excellent human phone book. Quite useful... :)

Blacklightbulb
August 11th, 2009, 08:51 AM

Are you saying there is a limit to the amount of information your brain can hold? I suppose there is but still I don't think anyone have ever reached it in a life time. Besides this infinite capacity wouldn't be worthless considering your mortal and your gonna die some day?

schauerlich
August 11th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Just because you have a big hard drive doesn't mean that you have unlimited bandwidth and processing power. Even if you could store all knowledge indefinitely, there would still be a definite limit on your ability to consume and process that knowledge. Life wouldn't change much, except you would have better recall.

mrgnash
August 11th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Are you saying there is a limit to the amount of information your brain can hold? I suppose there is but still I don't think anyone have ever reached it in a life time. Besides this infinite capacity wouldn't be worthless considering your mortal and your gonna die some day?

That's right. There is a limit (about 10^20 bits by current calculations), but it's greater than any person can currently use in the span of a single lifetime.

lisati
August 11th, 2009, 09:35 AM

Especially with your girlfriend.
Mrs Lisati have an understanding that works a lot of the time: she's always right, and I'm seldom wrong.

Wouldn't take the opportunity. Even if I were to have the capacity, I wouldn't necessarily have the speed or power to comprehend it all or even sift through it all in a timely manner.
Agreed: if my capacity for knowledge was increased, I'd probably need a major upgrade to the processing facilities.

It was just a joke by the way.

When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.

starcannon
August 11th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I'd be immortal; so while I'm not quite sure what I'd do with my infinite knowledge, I'd definitely have time to ponder it. But then again, I guess if I had infinite knowledge, I'd already know what I was going to do with it, and so would not likely have to give it a second thought. OMG, I'm a bit dizzy now; time to go lay down before I fall down.

JillSwift
August 11th, 2009, 10:51 AM
You do not need understanding for be lets say.. excellent human phone book. Quite useful... :)
Useful? Perhaps.
Satisfying? Not so much.

gn2
August 11th, 2009, 10:57 AM
You better be careful you don't learn stuff that you later regret learning, because you can't unlearn it.

TheNosh
August 11th, 2009, 01:02 PM
assuming i also had sufficient understanding/wisdom it would be pretty cool to reach enlightenment/Nirvana

blithen
August 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM
especially with your girlfriend.

lol

dragos240
August 11th, 2009, 06:03 PM
You better be careful you don't learn stuff that you later regret learning, because you can't unlearn it.

Why would I regret learning something? ;)

TheNosh
August 11th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Why would I regret learning something? ;)

perhaps the information is particularly disturbing

Delever
August 11th, 2009, 06:33 PM
perhaps the information is particularly disturbing

I learned that the world is real the other day :(

TenPlus1
August 11th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I would become a guru and pass on my knowledge and widsom to others, especially when it comes to tech support (like I do now) ahahah