PDA

View Full Version : Do you have programming dreams?

lovinglinux
August 10th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I'm not a good programmer and sometimes I spend too much time trying to understand the language documentation or to make my code work. For example, I have spent the entire weekend working on some javascript sqlite functions to reduce my dependence on bash scripts.

The thing is that I have dreamed about the code two nights in a row. I don't remember the codes from the dreams and they were probably gibberish, but I have already dreamed about real code solutions in the past.

Do you have the same kind of experience?

Simian Man
August 10th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Yes, sometimes I even talk to my wife about code in my sleep...to her great amusement.

lovinglinux
August 10th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Yes, sometimes I even talk to my wife about code in my sleep...to her great amusement.

Does she talk back with good ideas? :)

dragos240
August 10th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I have done so on many occasions. :D

cmay
August 10th, 2009, 03:33 PM
that is very natural if one is very focused on something. in a learning period the dreams will contain many elements of what one is studying.

last night i was dreaming i read a sun solaris manual for some reason. i did not use sun solaris that much i ought to be dreaming about it though,

phrostbyte
August 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Yes, I solve most of harder programming problems I have before sleep.

Rackstar
August 10th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I often wake up with a solution, but I seldomly remember my dreams, but they are quite vivid, I move a lot and talk a lot when I'm sleeping.

And yes, my girlfriend has told me a couple of times, that even when I'm asleep, I'm a nerd to the bone.

nobodysbusiness
August 10th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I remember once, a long time ago, developing some elaborate crossword-puzzle coding system in my sleep. I don't remember the details, but somehow code had to be put into rows and columns in order to work. It's been a while since I've remembered a dream like that, though.

P1umb3r
August 10th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Yes, I have before. Anytime I'm trying really hard to learn something new, I usually have lots of dreams about it.

PartisanEntity
August 10th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Not really dreaming about it, but actually, the other day, while on the toilet, I had a great solution for some php/mysql work I need to do for the office :)

khelben1979
August 10th, 2009, 05:36 PM
No, I do however have hopes on getting back to some serious basic programming in the future. With basic I have been able to program my own applications. With C++ I can do nothing.

lovinglinux
August 10th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Not really dreaming about it, but actually, the other day, while on the toilet, I had a great solution for some php/mysql work I need to do for the office :)

:lol:

I had a toilet idea once too. Not related to programming, but was a nice idea :)

CharmyBee
August 10th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I sometimes have visions of "I could code this!" but right when I come to my computer, and open the IDEs, my mind's drawn a blank. Maybe it's my hand-me-down PS/2 keyboard, crappy particle board desk, small 17" monitor, or squeaky large slanted swivel chair. I know it's definitely not involving my powerful system specs. Ergonomical specs is what matters.

BrokenKingpin
August 10th, 2009, 08:46 PM
If I am stuck on a problem and I am really frustrated about it and I am thinking about it before bed I often will. I find just getting away from the code for a few hours and then going back to it helps me resolve the issue.

swoll1980
August 10th, 2009, 08:56 PM
This is where the old adage "to sleep on something" comes from. If you go to sleep with a problem to solve, often times the human brain will do the calculations while you sleep. When you wake up you will sit down to start brainstorming, and say "That's it" and think your smart for figuring it out that quick, but really you spent the whole night contemplating it.

doas777
August 10th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I have this recurring dream that I have reprogrammed my alarm clock to be something other than an alarm clock... but I can't recall what, and I'm afraid that i will mess it up if I do anything to it, except maybe hit snooze (blindly with a failing motion).

I also have Final Fantasy (or zelda) dreams every time I get 40 or so hours into the game

ultimatebuster
August 10th, 2009, 09:44 PM
My life long goal (till now), is to become semi-good in PHP, JavaScript, and Photoshop, so I can pump out some sh*tty(can I say that here?)/great looking CMS like wordpress and use if for my own blog.

Already pretty good with HTML & CSS. Still missing 60%.

Exershio
August 10th, 2009, 10:29 PM
:lol:

I had a toilet idea once too. Not related to programming, but was a nice idea :)

I had a shower idea once. :P It kinda sucked because I had just gotten into the shower, and did not want to forget my great idea.

JillSwift
August 10th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I have also dreamed about playing "Klickety".

Delever
August 10th, 2009, 11:07 PM

We no longer refer to it as toilet, but "place of great ideas".

As for dreaming, it burns your experience in long-term memory.

var old_ideas[]
var new_ideas[]

foreach new_idea in new_ideas:
if new_idea is important:
foreach old_idea in old_ideas:
run_dream_reality_with(existing_idea + new_idea, care_if_this_is_silly = false)

dyingsun
August 11th, 2009, 01:21 AM
I spent all yesterday debugging php and databases, and last night I dreamed I was building a massive php app, but when I started to test it, it wouldn't work and the code had morphed into C# and was all broken.

I often dream about JavaScript going wrong and nothing working.

I also have recurring nightmares about Gnometris - never getting the straight line shape I need to plug up that 4-row gap at the side...

Code-dreams are horrifying. It's amazing how panicked you can get over syntax and logic errors.