PDA

View Full Version : Huh, my old school in HK is making an Ubuntu distribution

JDShu
August 10th, 2009, 06:04 AM
My sister brought this to my attention today, apparently a bunch of students are producing it and they plan to have it dual booted in one of the computer rooms. I didn't even know there were that many Linux users in my school.

http://sites.google.com/site/scictinnovation/student-ict-teams-1/linux-desktop-rollout-project

kpkeerthi
August 10th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Great initiative! I wish them all success. Nice name too - Stubuntu :)

DeadSuperHero
August 10th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Definitely a nifty idea. Parts of me wishes that my school did more with computer development in general, all we had was crappy Visual Basic classes, and Java classes from an outdated textbook.

And it was OLD Microsoft Visual Studio, none of the nifty new stuff they talk about. The old, crappy kind that uses the Windows 2000 Redmond theme...oh the horror. The horror!

Viva
August 10th, 2009, 08:55 AM
That is great news indeed. Schools and Universities in India use decade old crappy programs and operating systems. Some of them still have windows 95/98 and use the DOS Mode Borland IDE to teach C or C++ because they can't afford to upgrade. Stallman changed it all when he got our former president(while he was still in Office) to make a positive statement about free software and more recently convinced a couple of states to adopt free software.

schauerlich
August 10th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Isn't it against Canonical's trademark to use *buntu as a name for an Ubuntu remix?

EDIT: Yes, it is.

Any mark ending with the letters UBUNTU or BUNTU is sufficiently similar to one or more of the trademarks that permission will be needed in order to use it.

http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

Viva
August 10th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Isn't it against Canonical's trademark to use *buntu as a name for an Ubuntu remix?

EDIT: Yes, it is.

http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

It appears to me that they'll be only using it in their schools and won't distribute it, so there may not be any trademark problems.

jonathanysp
August 10th, 2009, 10:36 AM
woohoo Sha Tin College! im actually part of the team thats putting this together. We're planning to dualboot most of the computers in the IT rooms this comming school year and its coming along pretty well. but actually there are many problems such as connecting to the windows network as each of the students has their own user and password on the network. But its all getting sorted out. Thanks for the support!

phrostbyte
August 10th, 2009, 03:56 PM
woohoo Sha Tin College! im actually part of the team thats putting this together. We're planning to dualboot most of the computers in the IT rooms this comming school year and its coming along pretty well. but actually there are many problems such as connecting to the windows network as each of the students has their own user and password on the network. But its all getting sorted out. Thanks for the support!

Try installing this (apt://likewise-open-gui)

Excedio
August 10th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Problem...

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (apt) isn't associated with any program.

sydbat
August 10th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Problem...Only works if you are running Ubuntu.

jonathanysp
August 10th, 2009, 06:03 PM

Yea we're using that right now, but there are still many problems because the students can access the user folders of other students and teachers so we had to sort the permissions problems out. It will take awhile to polish it all up but so far its looking good!

MasterNetra
August 10th, 2009, 06:07 PM
It appears to me that they'll be only using it in their schools and won't distribute it, so there may not be any trademark problems.

+1 besides do you really think Canonical would go after a bunch of students for its name? I doubt it. They're not M$ after all. ^.^

Now if M$ can be loosen further here in the US...

Side question for the OP, any good international stores from china? Sense most things from chinese vendors in ebay sucks...although the vendor I got stuff from did refund it.

Viva
August 10th, 2009, 06:21 PM
+1 besides do you really think Canonical would go after a bunch of students for its name? I doubt it. They're not M$ after all. ^.^

Now if M$ can be loosen further here in the US...

Side question for the OP, any good international stores from china? Sense most things from chinese vendors in ebay sucks...

I don't think it matters if they are students or not. My understanding is that companies need to protect their trademark so that it won't become generic in a few years.

MasterNetra
August 10th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I don't think it matters if they are students or not. My understanding is that companies need to protect their trademark so that it won't become generic in a few years.

Well all I know is if they do, and the Chinese government steps up in the students defense, that will end that.

Redache
August 10th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Well all I know is if they do, and the Chinese government steps up in the students defense, that will end that.

Actually the Government would have very little authority. It's a Registered Trademark and as such Canonical has to defend it or they lose the Trademark.

All they'd have to do is ask permission, I doubt there'd be any issue with granting it.

sydbat
August 10th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Maybe they did ask permission?

@jonathanysp - did you guys ask permission from Canonical to use the Ubuntu name in your 'distribution'? If not, I am pretty sure they would say yes...if you asked. Good way to cover your nether regions...

MasterNetra
August 10th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Maybe they did ask permission?

@jonathanysp - did you guys ask permission from Canonical to use the Ubuntu name in your 'distribution'? If not, I am pretty sure they would say yes...if you asked. Good way to cover your nether regions...

+1 Good point! Do ask, its not likely they will say no. ^.^ And if for some bizarre reason they do, then well then you just have to adjust the distro name. ^.^

JDShu
August 10th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I agree with the people above. As an alumni, I think its awesome that SC would do something like this and I would hate for there to be any complications. By the way, jonathanysp, how did you guys manage to get the school to agree to something like this? I don't remember them being so sympathetic to student initiatives.

chessnerd
August 10th, 2009, 11:13 PM
My high school programming teacher said that the AP Computer Science students were planning on doing this (I think they were going to go with a Slackware or Gentoo based distro). In the end it never got off the ground, however, I think this Stubuntu project sounds much more serious than "CooLinux". (Yeah, that was the name they came up with...)

Best of luck to them.