PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to install a wifi usb dongle

breephd
August 10th, 2009, 04:17 AM
hi. i am a newbie. i have an ibm intellistation p4, 1.6mhz. i bought an edimax ew-7318usg wifi usb dongle.

the manual says nothing about linux install. i plug it in. and now it is getting power. the device manager sees it. but, i downloaded a wifi finder program and it says there is no wifi, but i know there is bc my laptop uses it. so how do i get linux 9.04 to recognize the wifi dongle?

if you missed it = i am a newbie.

running_rabbit07
August 10th, 2009, 05:43 AM
If you open Synaptic Package Manager under the System>Administration menu and search wifi. there are a few programs that should work. If you search edimax there is also a driver there that might work.

Also, not to sound rude, but using your [shift] key makes your posts look a bit more legible.

breephd
August 10th, 2009, 08:11 AM
There must be something wrong with my set up then, b/c I downloaded everything that had the term 'wifi' in it. Or that seemingly had to do with wifi. But, I can't get the PC to recognize my wifi usb dongle. and i can't get ubuntu 9.04 to see the wireless networks...

I did search for edimax, and I downloaded one item. But still I can't seem to get it to work.

extra note: after much searching, here is the solution:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7762896#post7762896