PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Woooes

pottsie454
August 10th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Hey guys, this is my first post. For the most part I am able to figure out how to do things by searching threads and learning other peoples mistakes, but this problem has got me running in circles. Any help would be appreciated.

Alright, I am trying to install ubuntu into a an older HP computer that was given to me. Its not in bad condition, but the dvd drive does not work. So, installation from a dvd is not possible. Unfortunately I am not one to have spare parts laying around and buying a DVD rom is nearly a $100 investment (And I dont even know how ubuntu is going to behave on this computer). So I need to figure out how to install ubuntu without a dvd drive.

I have used the supplied how-to from ubuntu (without cd-rom) but during the install but I get a "Unable to umount /cdrom" error after the partitioning.

I have also tried installing ubuntu on the drive from my laptop using a usb external hard drive enclosure, but I run into not knowing how to install grub onto the drive manually.

ANY HELP WOULD BE AWESOME!!!

Thanks in advance. -Cory

running_rabbit07
August 10th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Do you have the ability to boot said laptop? If yes then try Unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/).

If no then you may have to find a docking station that has a CD ROM drive or if the BIOS will allow it an external CD ROM drive. Otherwise you will have to do a network boot which will take a little skill.

I haven't been able to set that up yet but I have a dead laptop that has a dead cd rom and the most recent install locked up and all is lost until I get the network boot set up.

Good luck.

Edit: What are the specs on the system, so we can help make sure you get the best release? RAM/CPU and GPU are really important roleplayers in deciding which install will be best.