PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] AWN Driven 9.0.4

bobmendon
August 9th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I just wanted to demonstrate how Ubuntu didn't need panels and such to be able to use it. The result is a clean looking desktop that still retains all of its functionality.

blur xc
August 10th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I was going to go that route- but decided to keep the top panel. I use it for the date/time, global menu, pidgin notification thingy, and most importantly, the fast user switcher.

I like alt-f1 very much to pull up the main menu over having it in the top panel.

BM

mcduck
August 10th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Try Openbox and you'll realize that you don't even need the dock. ;)

blur xc
August 10th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Try Openbox and you'll realize that you don't even need the dock. ;)

I've been very curious about openbox. That's what comes w/ Crunch Bang linux, isn't it?

How does that work?

BM

mcduck
August 10th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I've been very curious about openbox. That's what comes w/ Crunch Bang linux, isn't it?

How does that work?

BM

By default you only get an empty desktop. Right-click on desktop brings up a menu that you can use to launch your programs etc, and middle-click brings up a list of your desktops and running applications.

The menus are extremely customizeable, and you can of course add any panels and additional stuff you want. But the default setup has everything you really need, without wasting a single pixel of your desktop.

As a window manager Openbox is very full-featured, but apart form that the default setup only includes the minimum required things. You need to add additional programs if you want wallpaper, desktop icons, panels etc.. Of course this also means that your setup only has the features you want it to have and nothing extra, which makes it insanely lightweight when compared to desktop environments like Gnome and KDE.

It often takes a bit of time to get the setup the way you like it, but the result is very snappy and built to fit your personal needs and likes.

bobmendon
August 10th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I can appreciate the functionality of Openbox but I am hardcore loyal to Ubuntu and wanted to see if I could accomplish what I set out to do...eliminate the panels for a cleaner look. I feel I have done that so I'm happy.

By default you only get an empty desktop. Right-click on desktop brings up a menu that you can use to launch your programs etc, and middle-click brings up a list of your desktops and running applications.

The menus are extremely customizeable, and you can of course add any panels and additional stuff you want. But the default setup has everything you really need, without wasting a single pixel of your desktop.

As a window manager Openbox is very full-featured, but apart form that the default setup only includes the minimum required things. You need to add additional programs if you want wallpaper, desktop icons, panels etc.. Of course this also means that your setup only has the features you want it to have and nothing extra, which makes it insanely lightweight when compared to desktop environments like Gnome and KDE.

It often takes a bit of time to get the setup the way you like it, but the result is very snappy and built to fit your personal needs and likes.

mcduck
August 11th, 2009, 06:24 AM
I can appreciate the functionality of Openbox but I am hardcore loyal to Ubuntu and wanted to see if I could accomplish what I set out to do...eliminate the panels for a cleaner look. I feel I have done that so I'm happy.

No, problem. You have a nice looking desktop there anyway. :)

But as you clearly appreciate clean desktops, keep Openbox in mind, maybe you'll feel like trying it one day. (And you don't need to give up Ubuntu to do that, I'm running both Gnome and Openbox on my Ubuntu laptop and switch between them based on how I feel each day. :))