PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I've lost my desktop folders!

ourmartin
August 9th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Hello

I seem to have lost all the folders my desktop, as well as the desktop wallpaper. If go to the desktop folder via my home folder it say my desktop is empty. If press 'Ctrl+H' in the desktop folder I can see my folder as files that I can't access (see attached pic)....I have no idea what is going on. Can anyone help? I can reinstall ubuntu. but I don't want to lose my folder...help...

Cheers

Martin

gjoellee
August 9th, 2009, 10:12 PM
If you open the backup files you should have the same contents as in the disappeared files. Have you checked your trash?

Also...similar stuff sometimes happens Ext4 users. The issues should be fixed in the 2.6.30 kernel.

ourmartin
August 10th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the reply

I can't open the backup files. It says it doesn't recognise the type of file.

I'll check my trash though

stinger30au
August 10th, 2009, 11:43 AM
out of interest are using 9.04???

i have this every now and then

i have found if i fire up shell (command prompt) and cd to the desktop i can find my files and its all good

seems to be an issue with nautilus occasionally

ourmartin
August 10th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I'm using 9.04

What do you mean by command prompt? Do you mean the terminal? I can go through the terminal to list the desktop files, but I can't open them.

Cheers

gjoellee
August 10th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I'm using 9.04

What do you mean by command prompt? Do you mean the terminal? I can go through the terminal to list the desktop files, but I can't open them.

Cheers

Command Prompt, is is something like the terminal :P

You have a lot to learn about the terminal my friend. You can basically to everything in the terminal the you can do with a GUI (Graphical User Interface). It is just that people prefer the GUI instead of typing commands.

You can list, extract, delete, download and modify files within the terminal, and a LOT more. You can in fact do everything from tweaking the Linux kernel, to browse the web in the terminal. About everything you can do with Linux, you can do can d in a terminal.

But let's not hijack this thread :P

Some sad news: If the files are not in your trash you have probably lost them...

ourmartin
August 10th, 2009, 05:31 PM
They're in the trash!!!!

I'm so happy....

As for problem.... I think a ubuntu reinstall and command prompt class will solve it!

Thanks
M