PDA

View Full Version : Our Commitment to Open Source - FOSSIL

designsedge
August 9th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Hey all -

Just wanted to make a quick post about my companies recent decision on how we can support Open Source software development. Now, our company is small and we don't make a profit, yet, but it only seems fair that we share the wealth.

Thats why we created FOSSIL - Free & Open Source Software Investment Logic.

All too often developers are discouraged from following their dreams, frequently this is due to financial pressures. We have seen dreams die by the suffocating bog of the current business models.

We are giving Open Source a 10% cut of what we make. It may not seem like a lot at first, but for every $1,000 we make it's $100 back to Open Source. If other companies would do the same, imagine the funding!

Sure there are things to consider, like who will get this money and how do we best divide it. Still working on that part, but wanted to get your feedback on the idea.

Here is the article on our site:

FOSSIL - Free & Open Source Investment Logic (http://designsedge.com/component/content/article/9-fossilfreea-open-source-software-investment-logic/11-introducing-fossil-a-revolutionalry-way-to-support-open-source-projects) - Copyright 2009 Designs Edge

chriskin
August 9th, 2009, 09:27 PM
a good idea would be to not give the money now, use them to get bigger, and Then give the 10% you want to give :)
that way, your company gets bigger faster, and the open source will eventually get more resources

Nevon
August 9th, 2009, 09:44 PM
While I commend you on your decision to donate part of your revenue to open source projects, I feel like I need to ask where the money is supposed to come from. I apologize if you have outlined it more thoroughly in the article you linked to, but my internet connection is acting up, and I can't seem to access it.

Most companies don't make a profit for the first few years. If you're going to give away ten percent of the net income, how are you going to survive?

MasterNetra
August 9th, 2009, 09:55 PM
+1 to prior comments.

Wait until your company can afford suppling the 10% ^.^

designsedge
August 9th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Agreed on the waiting, I think it has to be a profitability issue. When I spoke of profit I mean actual profit, after taxes, salaries, etc. It's more of a principle that we have set for ourselves, and would like to see in other companies.

Sporkman
August 9th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Now, our company is small and we don't make a profit, yet, but it only seems fair that we share the wealth.

Commie!

Sporkman
August 9th, 2009, 11:10 PM
(BTW the link is bad...)