PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can this run KDE 4?

rogueleader12345
August 9th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Hi. I have an Elitegroup Mainboard K7S0M+ with a SiS chip. I was wondering if it was good enough to run KDE 4. If so, I'm going to add KDE 4 to my Ubuntu Intrepid install. Thanks!

gjoellee
August 9th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I don't know the speccs of that card, but if you can run Compiz smoothly in GNOME, you should be able to run KDE4 with desktop effects pretty fine.

Although you can just install KDE and try. You can change compositing options in the KDE control panel.

cascade9
August 10th, 2009, 04:30 PM
It should run KDE4, but I don't think its going to be much fun. Sis740s are pretty slow. Being PCI slots only (no agp, made wayyy before they got pci-e going) your not going to be able to upgrade the video easily either.

AmerNewbieInDE
August 10th, 2009, 06:11 PM
ok, leave it to a total newbie, but i can kde4 be run in ubuntu? or is it a seperate install and you must select to boot to kde..

decoherence
August 10th, 2009, 06:14 PM
ok, leave it to a total newbie, but i can kde4 be run in ubuntu? or is it a seperate install and you must select to boot to kde..

kde4 is packaged in "kubuntu-desktop" which you will find if you search the Synaptic tool (System > Administration > Synaptic)

Alternately you can install Kubuntu, a different 'edition' of Ubuntu which is simply Ubuntu with the above package pre-installed (and the default gnome package uninstalled.... but you can have both if you want!)

Raffles10
August 10th, 2009, 06:16 PM

You can install kde along with gnome and select which session you want to run from your login screen.

rogueleader12345
August 11th, 2009, 10:41 AM
It's all good. I just wanted to know because soon the hard drive that has Ubuntu on it will be in the computer I'm currently building, which will have an X1900 GT in it. Thanks!

gjoellee
August 11th, 2009, 11:30 AM
kde4 is packaged in "kubuntu-desktop" which you will find if you search the Synaptic tool (System > Administration > Synaptic)

Alternately you can install Kubuntu, a different 'edition' of Ubuntu which is simply Ubuntu with the above package pre-installed (and the default gnome package uninstalled.... but you can have both if you want!)

NOOOO! Kubuntu is KDE + loads of c*** that eats up your computer resources! Install KDE:
sudo apt-get install kde and at least it is a little better. If you run KDE on Arch or something you can see what KDE really is like. (KDEmod on Arch runs in 250mb RAM, and Kubuntu runs in 1.5gb RAM)

krazyd
August 11th, 2009, 06:15 PM
NOOOO! Kubuntu is KDE + loads of c*** that eats up your computer resources!
No, it isn't. What crud are you referring to?

If you run KDE on Arch or something you can see what KDE really is like. (KDEmod on Arch runs in 250mb RAM, and Kubuntu runs in 1.5gb RAM)
This is either a complete fabrication, or you are measuring it wrong. Either way, where are the exmap screenshots?

PS. Kubuntu runs great on my 1GB notebook.