PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu server without monitor?

brago
August 9th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Hi,
Tried to search for a similar topic but did not find one, please advice if this already has been discussed!

I've been running Ubuntu servers for a couple of years and are very happy about that. But my server broke down some time ago and I have not come around replacing it until lately. This time I got my hands on a Windows Home Server - ready-to-use system called "Fujitsu Scaleo Home Server 2205". It is pre-installed with Windows Home Server, which I have tried out now for some while. But after testing it for a while, I would love to go back to Ubuntu Server - to be able to be more flexible.

However, here commes my problem: the Scaleo server does not have connectors for a monitor... :-k

So, is it possible to install Ubuntu Server, without having a monitor connected to a computer? I can access the computer via remote desktop into the windows installation. My optimal installation would be to keep WHS and add Ubuntu Server to the server.

Thanks for any advices, also if there are other linux-distributions that could handle this.

Br
Stefan

phillw
August 9th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Hi,
Tried to search for a similar topic but did not find one, please advice if this already has been discussed!

I've been running Ubuntu servers for a couple of years and are very happy about that. But my server broke down some time ago and I have not come around replacing it until lately. This time I got my hands on a Windows Home Server - ready-to-use system called "Fujitsu Scaleo Home Server 2205". It is pre-installed with Windows Home Server, which I have tried out now for some while. But after testing it for a while, I would love to go back to Ubuntu Server - to be able to be more flexible.

However, here commes my problem: the Scaleo server does not have connectors for a monitor... :-k

So, is it possible to install Ubuntu Server, without having a monitor connected to a computer? I can access the computer via remote desktop into the windows installation. My optimal installation would be to keep WHS and add Ubuntu Server to the server.

Thanks for any advices, also if there are other linux-distributions that could handle this.

Br
Stefan

Hi .... Did a search .... Try this thread ..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1179982&highlight=install+headless+server

Regards,

Phill.

brago
August 9th, 2009, 03:12 PM
How on earth could I miss that... I quickly decided to postpone any computer-related work to another day. If I did not manage to find that, I'm surely not up to do a non monitor installation. :lolflag:

The automatic installation lead seems interesting, I think that could be something to follow up on.

Thanks!

phillw
August 9th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Hi Brago - Don't pull yourself down !!!

I'm used to finding stuff for people - usually via google .... So, it does take a while to get a reasonable number of 'hits' without the 47,000,000 found links !!!

I have asked what may appear to be 'dumb' questions, that will have been asked a million times before - Always, someone is polite enough to reply with a link to a previous post or how-to which will answer my question.

Welcome to the 'family', as you learn stuff, so you can pass that knowledge on to others - or, point them in the general direction.

Hope all goes well with your install.

Regards,

Phill.:popcorn:

JeppeE
October 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Did you try the automatic installation? I have a Scaleo Home Server myself, and I'm wondering about the exact same thing you did.

If you tried it; did you run into any problems? Was it hard? I'm quite new to this :P

Thanks!

brago
October 18th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Hi,
Actually I did not try to do the automatic install. At least not yet.

I actually stuck with the Windows Home Server installation and instead instaled a WAMP (Windows LAMP alternative) and this works OK for me. I actually got to like the easy set up with the WHS interface and automatic backup etfeature out of the box. Main reason for wanting Ubuntu was to install LAMP and to be able to run e.g. Gallery with php, mysql etc. But that works OK as well with my WHS and WAMP installed.

Please let us know if you get the automatic installation to work!

Good luck
Stefan