PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install Ubuntu, can install Fedora

geeoff
August 9th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Hello all,
I have been using ubuntu on my desktop PC for 2 years and I'm delighted with it, however, I recently aquired an EiSystem model 4410 laptop and tried to install ubuntu onto it. All in all I have tried versions 7.10, 8.04, 8.10 and 9.04. In nearly all cases I get as far as the UBUNTU icon with the progress bar (I assume at this stage it is scanning the hard drive) it then appears to load information from the installion disc but then after a few moments the screen will go blank although the laptop continues to read the installation cd for a little longer before that too stops.The installation discs are good, because over a period of time I have used them all on my desktop pc. The one that didn't crash at that point (I forget which version it was) crashed much earlier with an 'initramfs' message.

I had convinced myself that I was experiencing a hardware problem but as a last shot I tried installing Fedora 11 and that installed fine.

I much prefer Ubuntu to Fedora so I would really appreciate any suggestions to help me overcome this problem.

Partyboi2
August 9th, 2009, 12:04 PM
What are your system specs? Make sure you meet the requirements for installing Ubuntu.

jaxxstorm
August 9th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Give the alternate installer a try. For some reason, some PC's just don't like Live CD's - I've never been able to boot Kubuntu live CD's for some reason, even with safe mode enabled.

Give the alternate CD a try, and see if it'll install that way. you can't test your environment though, so you'll just have to hope everything works!

geeoff
August 9th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Many thanks Jaxxstorm, I downloaded it and it did the trick !

jaxxstorm
August 9th, 2009, 11:04 PM
You're more than welcome, enjoy Ubuntu.