PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox 3.5 - Ubuntu's Uber Failure...

TeoK
August 9th, 2009, 09:46 AM
The bizarre version I got updated to ..were called :
- Minefield (???)
- Shiretoko (???)

I ended up downloading tarballs from Mozilla website and using it from terminal.

It looks rather simple to me - whomever is in charge of integrating Firefox with Ubuntu is a total lunatic and should be immediately pulled off the project for he/she/it doesn't understand that Firefox is THE MOST important application in Ubuntu and u simply don't mess with holy cows.
uff..i feel better already.lol.

Nburnes
August 9th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Shiretoko is Firefox 3.5

Minefield is Firefox 3.6

I find it quite rude to say that about someone......

arky
August 9th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Didn't understand your post, try install firefox-3.5 package. It is called 'Shiretoko'

TeoK
August 9th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Shiretoko is Firefox 3.5

Minefield is Firefox 3.6

why these stupid Beta names?

What is so bloody special about Ubuntu Community that it cannot have what the rest of the world had for a month already - namly the best web browser.
@arky
i dont understand ur post either - FF 3.5 is not available thry regular updates

automaton26
August 9th, 2009, 10:02 AM
A tiny bit of an over-reaction there.

The branding says 'Shiretoko' - it's just one word here and there, and doesn't affect what the browser does, or how it behaves.

sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5

It...is...Firefox 3.5.

:-?

TeoK
August 9th, 2009, 10:07 AM

The branding says 'Shiretoko' - it's just one word here and there, and doesn't affect what the browser does, or how it behaves.

It...is...Firefox 3.5.

no..actually you're quite and dead wrong about it.

the browser identifies itself as bizarro shiretoko, not as firefox thus will not work properly with many many websites.

Any volunteer genius geek would explain to me why Ubuntu is messing with Firefox - for example: removing "Check for updates" section.???

plain language , please.

TeoK
August 9th, 2009, 10:11 AM

sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5

It...is...Firefox 3.5.

I'm just dying to hear your explanation to this:

- Why does the update to the most popular browser in the world requires the use of terminal , instead of graphical "Update manager" ???

- if you dont answer to this, I will understand - because most likely you don't have the answer.

arky
August 9th, 2009, 10:13 AM
The package is available in Karmic.

The Useragent string on my machine is...

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090805 Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Shiretoko/3.5.2

That shouldn't stop you from changing it.
http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2004/04/24/changinguseragent.html

Also if firefox is installed from a package then the automatic updates are disabled.

243kof
August 9th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I'm just dying to hear your explanation to this:

- Why does the update to the most popular browser in the world requires the use of terminal , instead of graphical "Update manager" ???

- if you dont answer to this, I will understand - because most likely you don't have the answer.

You don't have to use the terminal. This command is equivalent to opening Synaptic Package Manager, searching for "firefox-3.5" and selecting "Mark for installation". All GUI :)

TeoK
August 9th, 2009, 10:24 AM
The package is available in Karmic.

The Useragent string on my machine is...

if I was a girl - I would probably find this sort of talk hot, lol.

@arky

- you realize of course, that the CURRENT version of Ubuntu is 9.04 ( jaunty), don't you?

anyway...still waiting for someone smart to explain why ubuntu is massing with firefox.

Arup
August 9th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Shiretoko is there in Jaunty repos and can be easily installed via synaptic and in case you wish to brand it as default FF, all you have to do is follow the excellent instructions at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1225754

Shiretoko automatically updates to the latest releases as in my case its 3.52

I don't see any messing around going on here, its a well known fact about feature freeze. All the existing FF 3 versions get security updates and the current version is 3.12

243kof
August 9th, 2009, 10:36 AM
if I was a girl - I would probably find this sort of talk hot, lol.

@arky

- you realize of course, that the CURRENT version of Ubuntu is 9.04 ( jaunty), don't you?

anyway...still waiting for someone smart to explain why ubuntu is massing with firefox.

Please take a look here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TimeBasedReleases

Also, it wouldn't hurt if you tried being more kind.

TeoK
August 9th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Shiretoko is there in Jaunty repos and can be easily installed via synaptic and in case you wish to brand it as default FF, all you have to do is follow the excellent instructions at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1225754

Shiretoko automatically updates to the latest releases as in my case its 3.52

I don't see any messing around going on here, its a well known fact about feature freeze. All the existing FF 3 versions get security updates and the current version is 3.12

Another genius is telling me that I should install Shiretoko and just be happy about it.

Hmm...so all of you you are perfectly happy accepting inexplicably stupid, intrinsically bizarre solutions to simple problems.

anther words - nobody's asking "why" - you folks are perfectly happy in your made-by-geeks-for-geeks-universe, forever to be marginalized in "under %1 worldwide traffic" computer soup.

Good luck with this attitude - seems like total opposite of Mark Shuttleworth's vision to me.
ciao babies, i gotta sleep.

Elfy
August 9th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Thread closed.