PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Out of range message"

CeliaW
August 9th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Good morning!

I am a newbie to Linux but getting there! However, I have a problem I can't seem to resolve or find an answer to (or one that I can understand!) on various forums/ help pages etc.

I was previously running Hardy and after a few tweaks it was running OK. Clean install on a different partition to Jaunty and now have a display problem. I have a NVIDIA GeForce 7050i GPU GFX (with an AMD Athlon 64 LE1660 motherboard) and when I try to enable desktop effects it says needs new driver - Nvidia accelerated graphics driver (version 180) recommended.

When I install it and it says reboot - after rebooting it gives me an out of range message and I have to reboot in recovery mode and auto repair graphics problems. Since the change over I obviously have problems with screen image size in browsers etc. When I go back to the drivers page it says a different version of this driver is in use and the buttons for the three options 180/173/96 are greyed out

My screen is a TFT 1280x1204 but on the display settings there are no options to change the screen (which I am pretty sure I had in Hardy) Currently it says Monitor unknown and is set at 800 x 600 and refresh rate of 61Hz.

Any help gratefully received and please remember I am a novice at this so if I don't understand straight away - forgive me!

Many thanks

Celia