PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here like to go camping out?

HappinessNow
August 9th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Just bought a new tent, new sleeping bag and taking about 10 days off and going camping out!

Anybody else here like to go camping out?

johny_
August 9th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Hello there,

Sure I'd go, but I'm living in Italy now and don't know the road to your Galaxy :)
If you happen here, on earth, more precisely that land similar to a women shoe, feel free to jump in for a beer or a glass of water (It's really hot here sometimes)

Have a nice trip,

Lukasz

MikeTheC
August 9th, 2009, 07:24 AM
No, I'm not an out-doors type person. Also, living down here in Florida, it is normally far too hot and humid to even consider it.

Last time I went camping was with my 6th Grade class (circa 1984) and we went to The Everglades. I got my fill of it then, and if I never go camping again, it will be too soon.

But, hey, that's just me. You go and have a good time now!

Icehuck
August 9th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I love to camp out and it doesn't matter what season it is. Last time I went camping was actually this winter. We took the snow mobiles to Wisconsin and drove around all day, and set up camp afterwards. We do this for a couples days every year. It was quite fun, but sometimes we get a little to wasted at the bars along the trails. My buddy swears there were three panthers following us from the last two bars, and was almost too paranoid to sleep.

I've done various camping trips in the Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin area.

cariboo
August 9th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I love to camp out and it doesn't matter what season it is. Last time I went camping was actually this winter. We took the snow mobiles to Wisconsin and drove around all day, and set up camp afterwards. We do this for a couples days every year. It was quite fun, but sometimes we get a little to wasted at the bars along the trails. My buddy swears there were three panthers following us from the last two bars, and was almost too paranoid to sleep.

I've done various camping trips in the Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin area.

I think your buddy probably meant cougars. :)

TuckLive
August 9th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Just bought a new tent, new sleeping bag and taking about 10 days off and going camping out!

I like to go camping, but 10 days is pretty hardcore.

chrisxuk
August 9th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I don't mind camping when the weathers nice. When it rains it's like hell!

handy
August 9th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I'm into it too, started in tents, moved on to Kombi's, fitted out a high roof Toyota HiAce myself, which was great fun planning & doing, had a camper trailer too in there somewhere, back at a tent again at the moment.

With the OzTent, the sleeping section which is 2.4 x 2.4 meters erects in less than 30 seconds, I've got other panels that zip onto the front awning to make another room, though that takes a lot longer than 30 seconds.

Here's a link to the site owned by the people who make the tent, the one I have is the RV-4. For anyone into serious touring style camping these tents are hard to go pass:

http://au.oztent.com/

The worst thing about camping is packing up, especially if the weather is bad, if your tent is wet you have to put it up again to dry it out & prevent mould, though it would seem many of the materials that are being used for tents these days are far more mould resistant than canvas & japara.

Arup
August 9th, 2009, 09:25 AM

Hi,

Have you ever camped before? If not I seriously suggest you go with some veteran campers. Also make sure to study the terrain and the type of animals etc. around and how to manage in case of emergency etc. Your best bet would be to go in a group.

chrisxuk
August 9th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Hi there,
Don't have your tent on a slope ;)

Chris

Dawei87
August 9th, 2009, 10:01 AM
i envy you so much! i love camping but there is no way i could take enough time off work for a good trip. i have been on a lot of camping trips, one of them two weeks long across the mountains in negative temperatures. there was about five feet of snow and i hiked in snowshoes (the tennis racket looking ones) with a 100lb pack. it was hell a lot of the time but still very fun. a ten day trip would be great!

XubuRoxMySox
August 9th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I love camping out! I'd love to take a whole three or four months off and go hike the entire length of the Appalachian Trail someday, just me and my li'l pup tent and sleeping bag. Autumn is my favorite time of year for camping. Unfortunately it's also the time that school is starting. Dangit.

-Robin

JillSwift
August 9th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Camping? Isn't that the activity where you realize there's nowhere to recharge your laptop?

*shudders*

thisllub
August 9th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I love camping.

Last time I camped was in my back yard on New Years Eve.

8 tents & more than 20 people.
We had an archery range, a sheep on a spit, a campfire and a flying fox across the dam.

No limit on noise.

HappinessNow
August 9th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Camping? Isn't that the activity where you realize there's nowhere to recharge your laptop?

*shudders*laptop stays in the car at best if I take it at all

Ms_Angel_D
August 9th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I love to camp. The last time was before I got sick, my husband and I went to Baker Laker here in Washington State, and I was awesome. We didn't even have a tent we just roughed it. Oh man my mouth is watering just thinking about those campfire Steaks we grilled.

Growing up my family and I went camping every summer we always had a blast. I envy you op and hope you have a great time on your trip!

Confuzius
August 9th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I do a good ammount of wilderness backpacking and canoeing, really enjoy it.

RandomJoe
August 9th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I love camping!

I hate bugs!

Trying to reconcile those two can be tough at times... :lolflag:

It's been a very long time since I went camping. Used to go all the time with the search and rescue Explorer Post I belonged to in high school. Not too big on mid-summer (blistering hot) or mid-winter (freezing cold) campouts, but spring and fall are delightful.

If I do go camping again, it will probably be on a cycling tour. A bunch of people I like to ride bikes with do Oklahoma Freewheel (http://www.okfreewheel.com/) each year, and they camp at each stop along the way. A few of them even do it self-contained, hauling all their gear on the bike, although there's a semi that makes the trip to haul gear between stops for everyone.

speedwell68
August 9th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I go camping. I choose to do it in style...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/Speedwell68/Vanfest%2007/DSCF2694.jpg

rudihawk
August 9th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I love camping - all weather is good. (Though it never snows here in SA) hahaha!

HermanAB
August 9th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I love camping out in the Rockies, though the internet connections are very slow - about one bit per fortnight. Weather in the Rockies can be a bit unpredictable, but usually it only snows when it isn't raining. So one needs to be prepared with a large tent, two large tarps and a bunch of tent poles for the tarps, canoe, some books, lots of steaks, beers, wine, mozzie repellant, 4x4 Jeep and what not, but it is great fun!

SuperSonic4
August 9th, 2009, 07:47 PM
No I don't like camping - give me a proper cooker and my own bed any day. Still more important than those two is a proper toilet!

Little Bit
August 9th, 2009, 07:53 PM
We had a huge campout in a friend's back yard. Maybe 30 girls getting all silly and slap-happy. I'd be too scared to go backpacking or anything, but that was super fun. Even after the boys who were camping in the front yard "invaded" (with supervision, thank God) to scare us all half to death. Thirty girls screaming at 4AM must have been a pain for the neighbors tho!

Amy

mips
August 9th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Not big on camping. Purchased a tent and used it once. I prefer a rustic cottage with a comfy bed :biggrin:

geekygirl
August 10th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I love camping and sleeping under the stars...

Preferably 4-5 stars, a sizeable bed, sheets changed daily, room service, a hot shower, close to all conveniences, free internet access and breakfast served daily...and if you really *need* a tent...you can make one out of the sheets on your big comfortable bed...:P

now thats what I call camping....

oh...wait...

KiwiNZ
August 10th, 2009, 01:32 AM
New Zealand is awesome for camping. Before becoming disabled we did it a lot, hence the SUV and giant tent. But now with mobility issues we cannot. But I am working on that and hope to be in the great outdoors again.

Chilli Bob
August 10th, 2009, 01:39 AM
I do some car camping around here, but prefer to go tramping in New Zealand, where it's cheaper and the transport is better than Australia. This is my kit in Tongariro N.P. (think Mt Doom in Lord of the Rings)

http://home.iprimus.com.au/goosecreature/Tongariro_tent.jpg

EDIT: Other benefits of New Zealand over Australia: No snakes, no scorpions, none of those giant centipedes that always get into your tent no matter how well you zip it up. Usually you can find water to drink. REAL mountains. They have Schweppes Ginger beer, Cookie Time, Whitikers almond slabs and Fish and Chips at the South Sea Hotel on Stewart Island (Freakin AWESOME).

Disadvantages of New Zealand: Sandflies!!!!!! AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!! SO MANY SANDFLIES!!!!!!!

oxf
August 10th, 2009, 02:04 AM
New Zealand is awesome for camping. Before becoming disabled we did it a lot, hence the SUV and giant tent. But now with mobility issues we cannot. But I am working on that and hope to be in the great outdoors again.

Good luck to you! and hope you do what you need to do get back out and enjoy it!

I love to to camp out and be as far as I can away from people for a while. There's nothing I enjoy more than waking and sticking my head out of the tent in the fresh early morning air and then firing up the cook stove and making the essential cup of coffee.

One of my more recent trips was to a remote part of central Wales. My partner and I wild camped for several days and never saw a single person. We would watch the stars at night and in the AM sit and watch the contrails of the jest coming in from across the atlantic. We were all alone until it was time to deal with natures call. Found some suitably secluded rocks and sat there with pants down and what happened....? Comes a low flying USAF jet on a training mission about 100 feet above my head! I could clearly see both crew so have to wonder if.....

Chilli Bob
August 10th, 2009, 02:10 AM
We were all alone until it was time to deal with natures call.

Ah yes, reminds me of on a hike along the south coast of Tasmania. No-one around for 100km, a pit toilet on an open headland, and a low flying sight-seeing plane appearing unexpectedly. We all got more than we bargained for that day. :oops:

starcannon
August 10th, 2009, 02:19 AM

I like car camping; parks etc...
Nice fire pit, some acoustic instruments; preferably a crappy campground that no one else likes to go to. I'm there for the trees, fresh air, change of scenery, etc... So I don't care if theres running water; I like it deserted so we can play music, drink beer, and partake of other things. 10 days would be over my comfort limit, but I'm usually good for about 3 days myself.

Have a blast, camping is fun, however you do it.

oxf
August 10th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Ah yes, reminds me of on a hike along the south coast of Tasmania. No-one around for 100km, a pit toilet on an open headland, and a low flying sight-seeing plane appearing unexpectedly. We all got more than we bargained for that day. :oops:

LOL same here!

HermanAB
August 10th, 2009, 03:08 AM
In the Canadian Rockies, camp sites with showers and running water is not a problem really...
http://aeronetworks.ca/takakaw-sm.jpg

MikeTheC
August 10th, 2009, 03:47 AM

*shudders*

+1 to that...

steveneddy
August 10th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I like to go camping, but 10 days is pretty hardcore.

Scared of the generator going out in the middle of Masterpiece Theater?

We usually go out between 20-30 days at a time twice a year for hunting and fishing.

joriad
August 10th, 2009, 03:57 AM

Hey, I live in Wisconsin. Do you mean that you do the strip club circuit? My buddy did that a few years ago, he loved it.

HermanAB
August 10th, 2009, 06:11 AM
three panthers following us from the last two bars

Hmm, I'm almost 50 so the panthers and cougars that go after me are *REALLY* scary...

gnuvistawouldbecool
August 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I do some car camping around here, but prefer to go tramping in New Zealand, where it's cheaper and the transport is better than Australia. This is my kit in Tongariro N.P. (think Mt Doom in Lord of the Rings)

Damn.... Here I am planning to merely walk the Norfolk Coast Path here in England.

HappinessNow
August 21st, 2009, 09:39 AM

*shudders*
Actually, most every camp site I went to had electricity, but I never even turned my laptop on; not even once!

...just got back.:P

longtom
August 21st, 2009, 02:09 PM
Love it! And a good thing I do - because it is the only kind of holiday we could afford. We go with a tent (or two, if we stay somewhere for longer). Prices for hotels and B&Bs are made for affluent European and US tourists.

However, we like to go camping in winter. In summer it is just too hot...even along the sea.

Last time we were in the Kalahari...in June. Nice 20 deg C during the daytime...and anything between 0 and -5 deg C at night. But once you know the drill to keep all warm it is not that bad.

The winter before we were in Kruger National Park. That's good in winter, quite a bit warmer and since a lot of the vegetation is down you can see the wildlife a lot better. In summer we leave it to the tourists - so the mosquitos get some fresh blood...:P

bliffle
August 21st, 2009, 07:50 PM
Oh boy! Camping out is GREAT! Been doing it all my life, and now camping out IS my life! I rove around in a 24' class C motorhome.

No problem with the laptop: I've got solar, generator, and right now County power. I even get HDTV (6 OTA feeds, and a couple are in English!). With a VZ datacard I'm online everywhere. Plus, I've got a substantial library of (dare I say it?) pirated movies for emergencies.

When I was a teenager (back before electricity was even invented!) me and my buddy went canoeing every summer along the USA-Canada border, the Roadless Area, fishing, swatting flies, paddling, swatting mosquitoes, portaging, removing leaches, cooking fish, swatting mosquitoes, etc.

It's GREAT! Don't miss a chance to go camping.

And if you're in Northern California, look me up. I'm Camp Host in a county park, halfway up a fabulous mountain, not far from The Booming Metropolis. We have plenty campsites available. During the week it is blissfully quiet here in this oak grove, and on weekends families come to visit, with their little humanoid entertainers, and it's Good Times.

HappinessNow
August 22nd, 2009, 07:43 AM
Oh boy! Camping out is GREAT! Been doing it all my life, and now camping out IS my life! I rove around in a 24' class C motorhome.

No problem with the laptop: I've got solar, generator, and right now County power. I even get HDTV (6 OTA feeds, and a couple are in English!). With a VZ datacard I'm online everywhere. Plus, I've got a substantial library of (dare I say it?) pirated movies for emergencies.

When I was a teenager (back before electricity was even invented!) me and my buddy went canoeing every summer along the USA-Canada border, the Roadless Area, fishing, swatting flies, paddling, swatting mosquitoes, portaging, removing leaches, cooking fish, swatting mosquitoes, etc.

It's GREAT! Don't miss a chance to go camping.

And if you're in Northern California, look me up. I'm Camp Host in a county park, halfway up a fabulous mountain, not far from The Booming Metropolis. We have plenty campsites available. During the week it is blissfully quiet here in this oak grove, and on weekends families come to visit, with their little humanoid entertainers, and it's Good Times.Sounds awesome, those Camp Host jobs seem great for retirees

sn0m
August 22nd, 2009, 09:58 AM
I've got a wife and a little boy. Camping is our choosen mode to go on holiday. We do not take laptops or tv with us, so it is nature and the three of us. It is then that I or anyone else would realise how much of your time electronics take away from you. Time that should be spent bonding and enjoying eachother company, rather then staring at a box. I must admit, linux is a bit addictive some times....:)

longtom
August 22nd, 2009, 11:12 AM
I've got a wife and a little boy. Camping is our choosen mode to go on holiday. We do not take laptops or tv with us, so it is nature and the three of us. It is then that I or anyone else would realise how much of your time electronics take away from you. Time that should be spent bonding and enjoying eachother company, rather then staring at a box. I must admit, linux is a bit addictive some times....:)

Aren't we all a bit guilty here...:P. But my wife does let me know in no uncertain terms when it might get a bit much, while my 2 boys are circling around me in an unorthodox holding pattern like vultures waiting for the old lion to make way for them in order to have their part of the feast...

No communication devices on camping holidays if it can helped. We also like the camp sites were there is no power and generators are forbidden. We truly unwind in such circumstances.

johnbunag
August 22nd, 2009, 11:18 AM
the last time i went camping was at Yosemite National Park. it was great. where are you going?