PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop resolution and GUI error

zomgneeks
August 9th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Hi

After installing Sun VirtualBox and windows xp. I had windows open in virtualbox when I closed my laptop. When I opened it, the display was frozen. I pressed ctrl+alt+f1 and typed
sudo haltWhen I booted up again, the ubuntu login screen was cropped so only part of the screen was being displayed. The text "User name" and "password" was not shown although I could log in.

Once logged in, my resolution was 640x350. I was able to change it to 1024x768 but I usally run at 1200x800.

The screenshot attached does not capture my full screen. My wallpaper repeats rather than filling the screen. When I left click on the desktop and drag past the edge of where the screenshot ends the box does not follow. I cannot start a box outside of the area in the screenshot

Maximize does not fill the screen. In the screenshot I have mozzila maximized. The top of the box is about halfway on my screen and the bottom is almost touching the bottom panel.

On the top pannel the bluetooth applet, power management and wicd tray icons are farthest to the right rather than the volume applet, clock, and Fast User Switch Applet.

On the bottom tray the trash tray icon is about 2/3rds across the screen and the Workspace Switcher is farthest to the right.

In the workplace switcher, it only displays the windows that are within the screenshot's area. So if I were to bring a window under that area it would not be on the workplace switcher tray.

I tried

sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktopbut that did not fix anything

What have I done?!

zomgneeks
August 9th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Problem solved.

First I did

rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd .metacity
to reset gnome.

then

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
to get the resolution back to normal.

This bug was horrifying. I've never seen so many things break at the same time.

bobmendon
August 9th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Good show! I was thinking it was an xorh issue and you found it right away!

zomgneeks
August 9th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Actually, there is still one small problem. When I log in tray icons get shuffled around sometimes.

I think I'll just switch. What's a good minimalist GUI? Openbox?

SoftwareExplorer
August 9th, 2009, 08:14 PM
niko.stap, nice background. Is there somewhere where I can get it?

zomgneeks
August 10th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Here. And some related too.:)

SoftwareExplorer
August 10th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Here. And some related too.:)
Nice. Did you make them? If so, I would say the fourth would look good with colors like the first, for example, less pastel, more full-strength colors without white or black added. Still nice though. Thanks :)

zomgneeks
August 22nd, 2009, 08:34 PM
Nice. Did you make them?

I wish! I found them on various #chan wallpaper boards