PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Firefox Upgrade 3.5.2 automatically

ultimatebuster
August 9th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Just wrote a shell script on upgrading Firefox to the latest version automatically.
Thought I share it with you guys.

Download (http://thekks.net/410)

:P

Edit: Updated to 3.5.3

Excedio
August 9th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Just wrote a shell script on upgrading Firefox to the latest version automatically.
Thought I share it with you guys.

Download (http://thekks.net/410)

:P

Does it matter what version of Ubuntu I'm running or that I'm running a 64bit machine?

Giant Speck
August 9th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Hmm... firefox-3.5 updated to 3.5.2 automatically on my computer...

speedwell68
August 9th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I don't wish to rain on anyone's parade here, but doesn't Firefox already update itself?

Giant Speck
August 9th, 2009, 02:41 AM
I don't wish to rain on anyone's parade here, but doesn't Firefox already update itself?

I'm guessing this for those that want Firefox 3.5.2 and not Shiretoko 3.5.2, if you know what I mean.

speedwell68
August 9th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I'm guessing this for those that want Firefox 3.5.2 and not Shiretoko 3.5.2, if you know what I mean.

OK, on my computer I installed the stock Firefox as downloaded from the Mozilla website and those nice people at Mozilla have designed Firefox to update all on it's own.

Excedio
August 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM
OK, on my computer I installed the stock Firefox as downloaded from the Mozilla website and those nice people at Mozilla have designed Firefox to update all on it's own.

My Firefox was not updating as yours then. Because I have been running 3.0 for a while now.

But now I have a problem. When I upgraded, my Flash player stopped working. When I tried to install the missing plug-in it said "failed."

I tried following this (http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-Adobe-Flash-Player-64-bit-on-Ubuntu-8-10-98076.shtml) to no avail. Any help please?

Excedio
August 9th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks anyway guys, but I just fixed it myself. Downloaded the Tar file from Softpedia and dropped the .so file in my /.mozilla/plugin folder.

Success!

ultimatebuster
August 9th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Don't care version.

Tested on Ubuntu 9.04 32bit and 64bit

And yes, these are for people who don't want Shiretoko 3.5.2, which caused a problem for me

aysiu
August 9th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I think if you're going to go the script route, it's better to use UbuntuZilla:
http://ubuntuzilla.sourceforge.net/

nanotube has put a considerable amount of work into the script to make it work with various scenarios and automatically update you to the latest Firefox. Right now the latest is 3.5.2, but very soon it'll be 3.5.3 and so on.

The critiques I'd make of your script are the same ones nanotube originally made of my first install-latest-Firefox script back in 2006 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=293301). It will continue even if one of the commands errors out. It doesn't take into account multiple locales (assumes US English). It fetches only what is currently the latest Firefox and not perpetually whatever is the latest at future moments. It doesn't try other mirrors if the first download site fails.

I don't mean to demean your efforts any more than nanotube meant to demean mine. But it is best to advise new users to use the best methods available. If you have interest in contributing to UbuntuZilla, I'm sure nanotube could use the help.

For those who do not want to run a script, I have a one-line paste that installs the latest Firefox if you've already downloaded the .tar.bz2:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox

steveneddy
August 9th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Just install FF 3.5 with a ppa or add a repo and it will update automatically without a script.

nanotube
August 9th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I think if you're going to go the script route, it's better to use UbuntuZilla:
http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/

hi aysiu - thanks for the recommendation :)

just a quick note to update your ubuntuzilla link. due to recent changes at sourceforge, ubuntuzilla.wiki is no longer the location of the script's homepage. instead, just link straight to http://ubuntuzilla.sourceforge.net/

and, ultimatebuster: indeed, if you are up for it, you're more than welcome to look over ubuntuzilla and suggest (or make) improvements. in particular, probably it would be cool to make it into a gui gtk app - but i just don't have the time to take that on at the moment. :)

BigCityCat
August 9th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I haven't used 3.5 in Kubuntu but it crashes a lot on my windows drive so I am staying away from it till they fix it.

aysiu
August 9th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I've updated the link appropriately. Thanks.

smart ali
August 9th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Open up Terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and run the following commands:

1. cd /tmp
2. wget "http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.5.2&os=linux&lang=en-US"
Note: Your download link may be different depending on your country and language. I got the link by clicking the download link, canceling the automatic download, right-clicking the “Your download should automatically begin in a few seconds, but if not, click here” link, and selecting Copy Link Location.
3. tar xvjf firefox-*.bz2
4. sudo cp -r firefox /usr/lib/firefox-3.5.2
5. sudo mv /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox.old
6. sudo ln -s /usr/lib/firefox-3.5.2/firefox /usr/bin/firefox-3.5.2
7. sudo ln -s /usr/bin/firefox-3.5.2 /usr/bin/firefox

Close Firefox and then reopen. You should now be running Firefox 3.5.2.

I have written that in a terminal

it didn't work?

speedwell68
August 9th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I haven't used 3.5 in Kubuntu but it crashes a lot on my windows drive so I am staying away from it till they fix it.

I have heard of a number of people having problems with FF 3.5.x in Windows. But we have 3 Linux boxes running it here with no problems, me with Ubuntu 9.04, my wife with UNR 9.04 and my mate with OpenSuse 11.1.

abansb
August 9th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I have also tried with no success for some reason I can't get the wget to download the tar file also tried the script but I tried running the firefox3.5.2upgrade.sh also tried ./firefox3.5.2upgrade.sh but still will not run. almost forgot I am running Ubunbtu 8.04.3 with Xubuntu

I am running firefox 3.0.13 would like to upgrade to the newest version

Thanks
Tom

ultimatebuster
August 9th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I have also tried with no success for some reason I can't get the wget to download the tar file also tried the script but I tried running the firefox3.5.2upgrade.sh also tried ./firefox3.5.2upgrade.sh but still will not run. almost forgot I am running Ubunbtu 8.04.3 with Xubuntu

I am running firefox 3.0.13 would like to upgrade to the newest version

Thanks
Tom

go for

sh firefox3.5.2upgrade.sh

in the terminal

nanotube
August 9th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I've updated the link appropriately. Thanks.

how about the linky from http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox ? :)

patman0623
August 10th, 2009, 12:27 AM
OK, guys, noob question: I was playing around with version 3.5 earlier, and left it be after a while. I am now using Shiretoko after the upgrade, and I do not want to use Shiretoko, especially as it is an alpha release.

How can I get the *standard* 3.5 release of FF on my computer?

abansb
August 10th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks that did it I am also a newbie to Ubuntu

edit: script worked great now using FF 3.5.2

go for

sh firefox3.5.2upgrade.sh in the terminal

Giant Speck
August 10th, 2009, 12:38 AM
OK, guys, noob question: I was playing around with version 3.5 earlier, and left it be after a while. I am now using Shiretoko after the upgrade, and I do not want to use Shiretoko, especially as it is an alpha release.

How can I get the *standard* 3.5 release of FF on my computer?

Shiretoko 3.5.2 is not an alpha release. It's essentially the same thing as Firefox 3.5.2. Namoroka is the alpha release, version 3.6 alpha 1.

patman0623
August 10th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Shiretoko 3.5.2 is not an alpha release. It's essentially the same thing as Firefox 3.5.2. Namoroka is the alpha release, version 3.6 alpha 1.Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3pre) Gecko/20090808 Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty) Shiretoko/3.5.3pre

I assumed "pre" meant alpha of some sort. And, why does it download Shiretoko, it's interface is ugly, and I don't like it (so sue me).

nbv4
August 10th, 2009, 01:23 AM
yeah, same here. I thought the pre thing meant it wasn't the same as regular 3.5.2

aysiu
August 10th, 2009, 04:56 AM
how about the linky from http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox ? :)
Fixed also.

ultimatebuster
August 10th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Having 2 separate browser which are both Firefox is just annoying, and typing all the instructions in the terminal is just irritating.

Why can't people at ubuntu just upgrade all the firefoxes to 3.5 via Software update?

aysiu
August 10th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Having 2 separate browser which are both Firefox is just annoying, You don't have to launch both. You make the newer one your default and just use that.
and typing all the instructions in the terminal is just irritating. It's one line you copy and paste with your mouse. No typing involved at all.

Why can't people at ubuntu just upgrade all the firefoxes to 3.5 via Software update? Because that's not Ubuntu's release model. Even though power users make up the bulk of its userbase right now, Ubuntu is really targeted at average users, who really don't care about cutting edge software. Most of them don't update their software more than every six months... sometimes even only once a year or two.

Other Linux distros like PCLinuxOS, Debian experimental, or Arch Linux are targeted at power users, and so they will put in new software the minute it comes out. If you like a rolling release model, you may prefer one of those. Unless you like to really get your hands dirty, I'd recommend Debian Unstable or PCLinuxOS over Arch.

FuturePilot
August 10th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Why can't people at ubuntu just upgrade all the firefoxes to 3.5 via Software update?

What do you mean? Firefox 3.5 is in the repos. It's not going to replace 3.0.x but it's there.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090803 Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty) Firefox/3.5.2

ultimatebuster
August 10th, 2009, 09:47 PM
You don't have to launch both. You make the newer one your default and just use that.

Doesn't work. Everything will still launch in Firefox 3.0 (for me and another person)

It's one line you copy and paste with your mouse. No typing involved at all.

True, but you still have to press at least 5 buttons ;)

Because that's not Ubuntu's release model. Even though power users make up the bulk of its userbase right now, Ubuntu is really targeted at average users, who really don't care about cutting edge software. Most of them don't update their software more than every six months... sometimes even only once a year or two.

Other Linux distros like PCLinuxOS, Debian experimental, or Arch Linux are targeted at power users, and so they will put in new software the minute it comes out.
They should have an option to upgrade to newer releases, or allow the users to do it via an installer or something (like win)

aysiu
August 10th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Doesn't work. Everything will still launch in Firefox 3.0 (for me and another person) Has worked fine for most people.

If you want to stick with Ubuntu, I can help you troubleshoot the issue.

True, but you still have to press at least 5 buttons ;) Well, at least you're keeping your sense of humor about it. That's good.

They should have an option to upgrade to newer releases, or allow the users to do it via an installer or something (like win) It's not like Windows, though. Windows is designed to be a virtually empty platform that gets updated every few years. Then third-party applications have to make themselves work on Windows, and it's up to the user or the third-party application to keep track of updates to programs.

The downside to that model (mainly for average users) is that it's up to the user or the program(s) to keep track of updates to programs.

The upside to that model (mainly for power users) is that the latest software can almost always be installed easily.

Ubuntu, and most Linux distributions, use a centralized software package management model, whereby the operating system isn't an empty platform for third-party software to be installed on, but the software itself is incorporated into the platform and tested for the platform, even if it's not installed by default. Since all the software uses shared libraries, for stability's sake, it makes sense to update all application versions together instead of one at a time.

Linux distributions that use a rolling release model have the same problem, except they update everything at once (not every six months or every year), which has the upside (mainly for power users) that the latest software can almost always be installed easily but the downside (mainly for average users) that the system is highly unstable.

I would say just use what works for you. If you like Windows, use Windows (I'm no hater). If you like Linux but don't dig Ubuntu's six-month release schedule, check out some rolling release distros Linux PCLinuxOS or Debian experimental or unstable.

Giant Speck
August 11th, 2009, 12:31 AM
What do you mean? Firefox 3.5 is in the repos. It's not going to replace 3.0.x but it's there.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090803 Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty) Firefox/3.5.2

Wait. How did you get Firefox 3.5 from the repos? I installed it from the repos and it identifies itself as Shiretoko...

Mister LinOx
August 11th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Yeah. I really don't like Shiretoko. Doesn't feel right. :P Anyone else like the way Firefox looks on Windows better than Linux or is that just me?

ultimatebuster
August 11th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Yeah. I really don't like Shiretoko. Doesn't feel right. :P Anyone else like the way Firefox looks on Windows better than Linux or is that just me?

This sh script basically upgrades the existing firefox (i.e. the firefox icon from the menu, which will llink to 3.0.x) to 3.5.2.

No extra Shiretoko or whatever, just simple firefox :)

It's not like Windows, though. Windows is designed to be a virtually empty platform that gets updated every few years. Then third-party applications have to make themselves work on Windows, and it's up to the user or the third-party application to keep track of updates to programs.

The downside to that model (mainly for average users) is that it's up to the user or the program(s) to keep track of updates to programs.

The upside to that model (mainly for power users) is that the latest software can almost always be installed easily.

Ubuntu, and most Linux distributions, use a centralized software package management model, whereby the operating system isn't an empty platform for third-party software to be installed on, but the software itself is incorporated into the platform and tested for the platform, even if it's not installed by default. Since all the software uses shared libraries, for stability's sake, it makes sense to update all application versions together instead of one at a time.

Linux distributions that use a rolling release model have the same problem, except they update everything at once (not every six months or every year), which has the upside (mainly for power users) that the latest software can almost always be installed easily but the downside (mainly for average users) that the system is highly unstable.

I would say just use what works for you. If you like Windows, use Windows (I'm no hater). If you like Linux but don't dig Ubuntu's six-month release schedule, check out some rolling release distros Linux PCLinuxOS or Debian experimental or unstable.

I mainly uses Windows, but Ubuntu is a nice bonus for me. You know, people who wants to sneak on your computer don't usually look at your browsing history on a platform they don't know how to use. ;)

No I'm totally joking, Just saying

DougieFresh4U
August 11th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Was nice to update 'Firefox' today (Karmic-64 bit) and have it rid itself of the 'Shiretoko' name!!
Now maybe a few can 'quit' complaining of it not identifying itself correctly. :lolflag:

winotree
September 7th, 2009, 09:56 PM
With less than two years computer experience and less than two months Xubuntu experience, I found this method http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ubuntuzilla/index.php?title=Main_Page straight-forward: it was clearly explained and even offered to perform updates for me. If or when Ubuntu offers a current version of Firefox with updates or if I change my mind about using this version, I've got a CD backup of 3.0.13. What's not to like? ;)

ultimatebuster
September 15th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Updated to 3.5.3 today! :D

merlin666
September 18th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Updated to 3.5.3 today! :D

How did you do that?

aysiu
September 18th, 2009, 11:02 PM
How did you do that?
You can paste one command into the terminal after downloading the .tar.bz2 file:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox

Or you can use a script that will automatically detect your architecture and download the latest Firefox for you automatically (and also check for updates... ask your for locale, etc.):
http://ubuntuzilla.sourceforge.net

The script from the first post of this thread seems to have the worst of both of these methods. If you're going to paste in a bunch of single commands, you might as well do them all at once instead of creating a shell script (extra step). So go with the first method. If you prefer a shell script, at least get one that's sophisticated and can properly error out or check the integrity of downloads. So go with the second method.

NormanFLinux
September 18th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Ubuntuzilla does it automatically for Firefox and Thunderbird. Appreciate the shell script though!