PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 Query & Confusion

Ken Martin
August 9th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Re. Installation and Upgrades

I tried Ubuntu # 9.04 from a 32-bit live version disc (I did not want to disturb my Fedora 11 install). On that I used the entire HDD of my old Acer # 4315 laptop. Having had difficulty with previous Ubuntu OS' and their Update Managers, that is to say downloads being available, but not being able to be installed, I was eager to test this feature. Downloads were successful. Installation was incomplete because of not enough free disc space. I could not free up any. Was the inadequate disc space because of using all the HDD for Fedora, or was it because I tested # 9.04 from a live version disc? Or for some other reason :confused: I am a newbie, so if my query is confused etc, sorry about that!

Ken

running_rabbit07
August 9th, 2009, 02:06 AM
With the live disk everything is stored in the SWAP file. As soon as you dismount, it will be gone and you will have to reinstall every time.

I am new to Fedora, I like how it runs, too. If you are willing to open up about 10 gigs, you can install on your hard drive and really get the feel. I have had 8.04 and 9.04 on this system and both worked great. I still do have 9.04. I am very happy with it's performance. Sadly until I figure out how to adjust Fedora's boot loader I will not be seeing my Ubuntu.