PDA

View Full Version : If you are in need of a mouse ...

SlowJet
January 30th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Hi all, :)

I had to get a new mouse for the Pent IV (dual boot with Win Xp and Ubuntu)
as the fancy wireles reciever bit the dust after 2.5 years.

This was a Microsoft Desktop Elite with the EXplorer 2 mouse.
I never did like them and felt like I was using an old type writer with the keys bunched up. The mouse was hard to use, the 5.1 updated windows software was buggy, the USB part made the BIOS and Win F8 functions unreachable.

In the mean time on my Pent III (4 years old now) I have a
Microsoft Whell Mouse optical usb or ps2 compat - pluged in as PS2.
I noted in the last few months how good it worked with Linux and how lite the mouse felt and the cursor was well intergrated into the video.

So I went looking for one of those but of couse there is now a new and improved version and it only cost $20.
It is the Microsoft
Wheel mouse optical 1.1 usb or ps2 compat.
It worked with the 5.1 win software (but came with 4.0)

It works like heaven in Ubuntu compared to that wireless tank.
The only diff is a slight clcik on the wheel vs. no clcik on the older model.

I could not believe the difference.
Oh, and I replaced thw wireless keyboard a long time ago with a basic natual pro type (wired). I'll pay for it in battery savings in a year or so.

Now I like sitting in the other chair at the pent IV, and it is faster.
My hand and wrist already fell better. :)

SJ

WildTangent
January 30th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I know how you feel man, being a gamer, a BIG thing is the mouse and keyboard one uses. I use a rather old Logitech keyboard (you know that texture they mold onto the keys...it's been worn down smooth ;)), and an older logitech optical mouse. The mouse has the perfect weight to it, and its one of those types you grip with your fingers, instead of the one you basically rest your whole palm on. I hate those kinds, you can't move them as swiftly or accurately. Anyway...all things considered, I've got a good setup, but i want to get one of these new-fangled laser mice, just as long as it's the type I can grip with my fingers.

-Wild

chimera
January 30th, 2006, 05:36 PM
I've been using the same IBM keyboard for the last eight years :D As for the mouse, I'm currently using a Logitech mx1000, and it suits my needs fine.

Sp@z
January 30th, 2006, 07:14 PM
[QUOTE=WildTangenti want to get one of these new-fangled laser mice, just as long as it's the type I can grip with my fingers.

-Wild[/QUOTE]

I have the Razer Copperhead.I love this mouse and as far as gripping it with your figers well if you "palm" the mouse it tends to hurt because it isn't as ROUNDED as the logitech. I am a mouse palmer unfort. but I am learning to use thy fingers, also palming the copperhead makes it MUCH harder to reach the side buttons.

edit.....I also use the logitechG15 gamining keyboard.............if you play FPS save your money..........if you play RPG then it is worth it....I play FPS and I am VERY dissapointed with it.....but like I said for RPG this thing would be AWESOME!!!!!!

WildTangent
January 30th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I'd like a Razer, but they're really expensive, and I heard the design on the latest one isn't that great, you often accidently press the side buttons or something like that. Looks damn cool though :D

-Wild

bloodborne
January 30th, 2006, 08:23 PM
I've got a Copperhead as well and I've found it to be a really good mouse. It's a bit bigger than the Diamondback, so if you've got large hands it's good. As for the side buttons, it's hard to press them because, unlike the Diamondback, the side buttons are under the rails, as opposed to right on them, so when you grip your mouse there is no chance to hit a button.