PDA

View Full Version : MeidaWiki

suncoolsu
August 8th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Hi All,
I wanted ask a question about making a wikipage.

I am a Grad Student and wanted to make my university home page a Wiki. Is is possible to do that?

Being a grad student I am allowed to have my own webpage - But I dont think I can install mediawiki software. (I read a few websites describing how to create a wiki-page and this was one of the options)

I ONLY want my university webpage to be a wiki (I don't want to create a wiki-page on websites that host wikis)

Any direction will be helpful - I am a Noob in wiki :confused:

Thanks
B.

Viva
August 9th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Does your uni allow server side scripting(like php)?

jeffathehutt
August 9th, 2009, 04:20 AM
All mediawiki requires is php and mysql support. If you have access to both, you should be able to install mediawiki. Check with your university to see what features are available to you.

There are many alternatives to mediawiki though. Chech out this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_software. That list will show you which software requires which features, so once you know what your university supports, you can make a decision. Some popular alternatives:

moinmoin
dokuwiki
pmwiki
twiki

and many others. :)

juicymixx
August 23rd, 2009, 11:58 PM
Being a grad student I am allowed to have my own webpage - But I dont think I can install mediawiki software. (I read a few websites describing how to create a wiki-page and this was one of the options)

I ONLY want my university webpage to be a wiki (I don't want to create a wiki-page on websites that host wikis)

Do you really want to use a MediaWiki? Maybe you could get by with something like tiddlywiki (set up remotely). You can check out the features & compare different wiki and get educated about them at:
www.wikimatrix.org

:)