PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Second Life internet game, how do I get it?

joedavid
August 8th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Been given a PC with out of date Ubunutu on it, spent a few hours getting it up to date.
Being used to MSN Windows and seen Linux before it is a real eye openier, not in a good way I'm afraid.
I have Googled several problem/questions and answers are allways to stop it in the middle of booting up and mess with the programming.
Ok did not take me long to realize most of you guys love it for this.

Now on Windows PC I have Second Life 3D internet game. I go to SL web site select Windows and down it comes nice and easy into that PC.

So I go to SL web site and instead of selecting Windows I select Linux. Is it easy it is not, first 3 times I get errors reported by the Download Manager.
4th time it is listed on the Download menu and no errors reported. It then goes into an archive check and I end up with SL in another menu, headed New/Open/Extract.
What do I have to do now?

Googleing Linux problems with SL download all want the now usual messing with the booting up.

Is life so hard with Linux?

Thanks
David

TigerCR1200
August 8th, 2009, 08:45 PM
The lack of directions for the install seems to be a short comings of Linden Lab not linux it self.

However from where you are at you want to choose Extract, what you have is a compressed archive. Much like a zip file you would have seen on windows. When you press extract choose your home directory (this should be the default and show your username). Once you have it extracted locate the file README-linux.txt this will give your further instructions on what needs to be done.

From the readme:
The Second Life Linux client entirely runs out of the directory you have
unpacked it into - no installation step is required.

Run ./secondlife from the installation directory to start Second Life.

joedavid
August 8th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks that got me there in the end I had the game running.
Regards
David

Clorow
August 8th, 2009, 10:08 PM
If you add the PlayDeb repository, they have a package for it.

RunningBear
August 10th, 2009, 04:45 AM
How do you add the PlayDeb repository?

joedavid
August 10th, 2009, 12:18 PM
If you add the PlayDeb repository, they have a package for it.

Sorry I'm new not understand, please explain how I do this and what it is, thanks
David

Partyboi2
August 10th, 2009, 12:41 PM
If you are using Hardy or Jaunty you can download the Second Life deb from getdebs (http://www.getdeb.net/app.php?name=Second+Life). (double click on the deb to install)