PDA

View Full Version : Windows oriented Wireless Adapter that works better in Ubuntu then WIndows!

MasterNetra
August 8th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I recently purchased the Encore USB wireless adapter (ENUWI-G2) and try it out with my old Gateway 500se which I got back in 2002. I plan on using it to run windows xp so I can run Adobe CS3 stuff and magic jack on it, and devote my labtop to Ubuntu.

After plopping in the CD with the driver+utility on it, it runs, installs fine, and even connects. However every couple minutes it tend to DC and reconnect. And despite fiddling with it, I only manage to reduce the frequency of the Disconnects, but still do so too frequently to use windows update. (At least when it comes to getting the service parks and other heavy stuff.)

So a bit dismayed I get the idea to just fetch the service packs elsewhere using my labtop and transport it via Flash drive. So as I am downloading SP2 I move some windows backup data from the Win Partition on the laptop to my drive and to the desktop to put in a blank linux partition that i reserved as a backup partition (win virus no touche this!).

To access this partition of course I use the Ubuntu CD, after loading it I find to my surprise its already using the wireless adapter! Even better its not DCing at all!

The Real Dave
August 10th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I had a similar experience with the Sweex Wireless LAN USB 54Mbps adapter, an adapter so cheap, that it really shows. Cost £7 on Amazon, and even though the box says that AVG antivirus is included in two places, it also says that Panda AV is included. AVG is what's really in there. So naturally, I was worried about how well it would work in Ubuntu. I happened to be in XP when it arrived, popped in the disk, and though it would connect, it kept disconnecting and giving me errors. Reboot, and plugged it into Ubuntu. Perfect :D Works flawlessly :D

Johnsie
August 10th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Why are you still using XP??? Windows 7 is a million times better. Some drivers will work better in Windows, others will work better in Linux. Sometimes the hardware wont work at all in Linux though.

Vostrocity
August 10th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Same with my HP scanner. In Windows I had to install this bloated HP program that kept crashing. In Ubuntu XSane recognized the hardware immediately and had ways to tweak the settings. :)

The Real Dave
August 10th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Same with my HP scanner. In Windows I had to install this bloated HP program that kept crashing. In Ubuntu XSane recognized the hardware immediately and had ways to tweak the settings. :)

Same for me with my HP PSC 1200 :D

Why are you still using XP??? Windows 7 is a million times better. Some drivers will work better in Windows, others will work better in Linux. Sometimes the hardware wont work at all in Linux though.

W7 wont work on my hardware, listed below, mainly due to my terrible graphics chip, which just can't cope with W7 or Vista. So XP is my Windows OS of choice, I don't use it often anyway, only for iTunes, and once I can get my iPod to connect to iTunes in XP in a VM, I'll be kicking it off my PC for good. Its taking up 25Gb that could be better used.

MasterNetra
August 10th, 2009, 06:35 PM

The desktop has 768mb of ram. And I use adobe CS3 products (photoshop, dreamweaver. Flash CS3, Indesign, and illustrator) which it can just barely handle with XP, (aftereffects and contribute are below minimal specs, but I never use those anyway so meh.) Win7 is more bulkier then XP, so its out of the question.