PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no wireless

AmerNewbieInDE
August 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM
help, i just installed Ubuntu 9.04, i have a intel wireless 5100agn, out of the box i see the correct card, correct network ssid and security. I put in the network key but it does not connect... any ideas??? Yes, i reentered the key a number of times...but still no go.

also, i have a hp photosmart (C7280) wireless network printer, i tried the software from hp, but even with a wired network, i can not install the priner, it is not found.

AmerNewbieInDE
August 8th, 2009, 09:51 PM
ok, i figured out i gotta move/copy a new file into /lib/firmware but now a stupid question... how.. i try but it tells me i dont have permission.. only root have access to modify the folder.

Crafty Kisses
August 8th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Well this all depends if you're using the CLI or GUI. If you're using the GUI you can run the following:

gksu nautilus
Then from their you can copy/remove the files you need, if you're in the CLI you can always use the following command:

sudo mv && sudo cp

AmerNewbieInDE
August 8th, 2009, 11:29 PM
thanks codename, i figured there should be a move/copy command, but do i make it from terminal? and add the complete from and to??? sorry, i am totally new to this.

Crafty Kisses
August 9th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Don't be sorry! Well you could always do the first way, open a terminal and type:

gksu nautilus
That would probably be easier for you to copy/move files, but be careful, you are root when you're doing this. If you want to like copy/move files from the terminal, I'll give you a couple of examples:

Copying a file:

sudo cp /path/to/directory

Moving a file:

sudo mv filename /new/directory/filename
Those are the ways you can copy/move files around.

AmerNewbieInDE
August 9th, 2009, 10:20 AM
hmm, ok, now another stupid question... lol, i got the file where it is supposed to be, but how do i associate the devise to the driver

AmerNewbieInDE
August 9th, 2009, 10:53 AM
it is fixed, i just have to learn to read more..lol

AmerNewbieInDE
August 9th, 2009, 06:52 PM
well, it is not fixed. everytime i restart the pc, i must reenter
sudo modprobe -r iwlagn
sudo modprobe iwlagn 11n_disable=1 11n_disable50=1

where do i put this so it automatically starts

Crafty Kisses
August 9th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I think you need to put those modules in the /etc/modules configuration file, so what you can do is run:

sudo gedit /etc/modules
Then once in the file you can add these lines:

iwlagn
iwlagn 11n_disable=1 11n_disable50=1
If those are the modules you are having to constantly reload at boot, then put them in that file.

AmerNewbieInDE
August 9th, 2009, 08:48 PM
thanks for the tip, i will try, but what is the use of the first line... why not just the second line

AmerNewbieInDE
August 9th, 2009, 08:55 PM
well, i tried it, and it didnt work:( i still had to enter the code through terminal. anymore ideas

Crafty Kisses
August 9th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Before you have to load the modules, I want you to go in a terminal and type:

lsmod | grep iwlagn
Then once you have actually loaded the modules, I want you to run:

lsmod | grep iwlagn

AmerNewbieInDE
August 9th, 2009, 09:12 PM
ok, i rebooted...

BEFORE:
laptop:~$ lsmod | grep iwlagn
iwlagn 100228 0
iwlcore 93184 1 iwlagn
mac80211 217592 2 iwlagn,iwlcore
cfg80211 38288 3 iwlagn,iwlcore,mac80211

AFTER:

laptop:~$ lsmod | grep iwlagn
iwlagn 100228 0
iwlcore 93184 1 iwlagn
mac80211 217592 2 iwlagn,iwlcore
cfg80211 38288 3 iwlagn,iwlcore,mac80211
laptop:~$

looks the same to me, but before, it only shacks hands, after, it is invided in the door.. lol

Crafty Kisses
August 9th, 2009, 09:17 PM
That's really weird, open up your modules configuration file again, by running:

gksudo gedit /etc/modules
Then once you're in there, remove the line:

iwlagn
Then just keep the following line:

iwlagn 11n_disable=1 11n_disable50=1
See if that makes a difference. It appears that the modules are loading at start, so not sure what's going on.

AmerNewbieInDE
August 9th, 2009, 09:26 PM
ok, rebooted again, same thing... still had to manually code it

Crafty Kisses
August 9th, 2009, 09:51 PM
This is really weird, I'm trying to think off the top my head if there is an autoload directory. Try and see if this directory exists:

/etc/modules.autoload.d/
As I'm not on a Linux box right now, check and see if this directory exists. Then tell me the contents of the file, from what I remember I think there is a list of kernels, or something and then you would put the module in the appropriate kernel.

AmerNewbieInDE
August 9th, 2009, 10:04 PM
nope.. no such file or directory.. if it is easier or if you want.... im me on aim