PDA

View Full Version : How to "paper-cut"

*g!t5^_)*(H
August 8th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Hi,

I don't know how to browse paper-cut list, or how to add another paper-cut (if necessary).

I think I have found one paper cut and I want to know if they are going to fix it or how to add another one.

This is my paper cut when adding/removing software with a broken package list (see attach)

Thanks for your help.

Rackstar
August 8th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I think you are a little bit late to file this as a "papercut" but you can file it as a wishlist on launchpad.

But I think there are others that can help you more with that.

I do like the mock-up. But maybe there should be mentioned what the fix button does in the right pane (in some sort of dropdown terminal). (Here obviously it does sudo dpkg...)

3rdalbum
August 8th, 2009, 01:58 PM
True, this should be fixed (especially for those people who try to install Java in the terminal and don't know how to highlight the "I Agree" button), but I think it's a bit too big to be a papercut. Sometimes dpkg --configure -a doesn't fix the problem and it currently requires manual intervention; that's a fair bit of programming needed to automate this.

Anyway, the procedure is to submit a bug report (or view an existing one, preferably) and assign it to the Papercuts team.

Tibuda
August 8th, 2009, 02:00 PM
True, this should be fixed (especially for those people who try to install Java in the terminal and don't know how to highlight the "I Agree" button), but I think it's a bit too big to be a papercut. Sometimes dpkg --configure -a doesn't fix the problem and it currently requires manual intervention; that's a fair bit of programming needed to automate this.

Anyway, the procedure is to submit a bug report (or view an existing one, preferably) and assign it to the Papercuts team.

If the error message says to run 'dpkg --configure -a', a button to run it right from message is a good thing. If it don't work, then we need a different message about this 'manual intervention'. And can I ask what would be this required 'manual intervention'?

MikeTheC
August 8th, 2009, 03:12 PM
PROTIP: Of course, if you simply take a sheet of 20 lb. paper, hold it with one hand and then carefully set the edge on your opposite hand at the appropriate angle and then drag it across, you can give yourself a paper cut and help save the environment by not running your computer and consuming electrical power. :p

*g!t5^_)*(H
August 9th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Thanks 4 your help. About prototip I don't want to waste time if there's a usability team deciding how to show alerts, ... It's just an idea.

I'll fill as a bug, and hopefully (this is ironic) it will be ready with new ubuntu theme (never).

;)