PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I would like to dual boot Ubuntu 9.04 and Vista SP1

makinasvp
August 8th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Hello there, I would like to have a dual boot on my computer. Right now I am running on Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, and would like to install ubuntu 9.04.
Can someone please help me on how to properly do it without any conflicts whatsoever? Please?

My computer specs are:

-AMD FX-60 Dual core processor
-Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe mobo
-ATI HD 4870 video card

I have a single 1TB HDD, and Windows Vista is using 203GB out of 931GB, which means I have 728GB free of space.

I mostly use Windows Vista for gaming, but would like to use Ubuntu for absolutely everything else.

Can someone please help me how to do so. I do remember trying to dual boot Ubuntu and Windows myself once, but I realyl messed it up and I didn't even have the option to choose between the 2 OS's when I would restart my computer. Please help!! :)

PS: I've already downloaded Ubuntu 9.04 and burnt it onto a disc, so I am all set to go. What's my first step?

Partyboi2
August 8th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Hi, you can follow this guide through
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm

makinasvp
August 8th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Would this work if I would like to install Ubuntu Studio 9.04? Or just Ubuntu 9.04? Because i am very attracted to Ubuntu Studio... lol

mikewhatever
August 8th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I figure the first step was downloading. Just follow the installation guide.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=linkto%3A%22GraphicalInstall%22

makinasvp
August 8th, 2009, 08:32 AM
am i going to need a swap partition or something? I am so confused...

mikewhatever
August 8th, 2009, 08:37 AM

Swap is usually recommended.

makinasvp
August 8th, 2009, 08:39 AM
On PartyBoi's link they don't tell you to have a swap... I don't get it...
If I start up my computer, and want to choose whether I want to load Ubuntu or Vista, will I be able to? At this point this is my MAIN concern. Last time I have tried this, I could not launch Vista anymore and had to erase Ubuntu and reinstall Vista. I am a hardcore gamer so I cannot get rid of Vista... But would like to use Ubuntu for everything else.

garikaib
August 8th, 2009, 08:43 AM
You can choose automatic partitioning if you have one disk. But it is prudent to partition your hard using a partitioning manager like Partion Magic.

makinasvp
August 8th, 2009, 08:45 AM
You can choose automatic partitioning if you have one disk. But it is prudent to partition your hard using a partitioning manager like Partion Magic.

Well that's the thing, I have windows vista installed and it comes with "Disk Management" which allows me to do that... Here let me take a screenshot...

http://i26.tinypic.com/zxqc6.jpg

garikaib
August 8th, 2009, 08:46 AM
A swap partion is mandatory. The rule of thumb is to have a swap partition twice the size of your RAM.

theozzlives
August 8th, 2009, 08:50 AM

You'll need to resize your NTFS partition using Vista's tool. Yes you should have a swap 2x the amount of RAM, I also recommend a /home partition to hold your files and settings. The root (/) partition only need be about 10 GB.

garikaib
August 8th, 2009, 08:53 AM
You say you want Windows for gaming which means you need to reserve more space for your games. Depends on your needs. If you have nothing in the volume labelled D: Just restart your computer and boot from your CD and when the partitioning option shows up delete the partition. It would normaly be shown as sdb but just double check if this is really D by looking at the size. Then choose automatic partioning.

Partyboi2
August 8th, 2009, 08:53 AM
On PartyBoi's link they don't tell you to have a swap... I don't get it...
If I start up my computer, and want to choose whether I want to load Ubuntu or Vista, will I be able to? At this point this is my MAIN concern. Last time I have tried this, I could not launch Vista anymore and had to erase Ubuntu and reinstall Vista. I am a hardcore gamer so I cannot get rid of Vista... But would like to use Ubuntu for everything else.
The swap is automatically created for you when you chose the "Use the largest continuous free space" option at the partitioning stage of Ubuntu.

makinasvp
August 8th, 2009, 08:55 AM
The swap is automatically created for you when you chose the "Use the largest continuous free space" option at the partitioning stage of Ubuntu.

OOOOOOOOOOOH so I don't need to manually do it huh?? Just choose "Use the largest continuous free space" and it'll do it for me?
Ok so once I'm done shrinking my C drive for Ubuntu, just install it on the free space?

Oh and Partyboi2, if I install UbuntuStudio 9.04, will it be the same process?? or is it just for Ubuntu 9.04?

makinasvp
August 8th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Quick noob question though, how do I properly burn Ubuntu 9.04 or UbuntuStudio 9.04 onto a disc in order for it to boot when I startup my computer?

mikewhatever
August 8th, 2009, 09:07 AM
From the look of the image name, Ubuntu studio uses a different text based installer, while the guides provided only apply to Jaunty-9.04 with the graphical installer. You will also need a swap partition with Studio, but, as said, the installer is different, and is a bit harder to use.

Edit: Burning guide https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=linkto%3A%22BurningIsoHowto%22

Partyboi2
August 8th, 2009, 09:08 AM
You can follow this (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BurningIsoHowto) on how to burn the iso to disk. The install steps a slightly different (not my much) I think for installing Ubuntu Studio.
Once you have installed Ubuntu you could always install the Ubuntu Studio packages as another option.

Edit:
OOOOOOOOOOOH so I don't need to manually do it huh?? Just choose "Use the largest continuous free space" and it'll do it for me?
Correct, but make sure you use Vista to shrink down the Vista partition first as mentioned in the guide I provided.

theozzlives
August 8th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Attached are my partitions, mind you sda1 would be NTFS on yours and you wouldn't have a /root (I have my reasons). Course I did mine manually.